• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    I recently tried to shoot Mossberg 500 with "00".

From my point of view it had a uncomfortable recoil.

I remember reading on this forum years ago that there is something called "low discharge" shotgun loads...something like that. Can anyone kind of elaborate on what type of ammunition this is?

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have some "Law Enforcement Low Recoil" 00 buck 12 ga. shells I got at the Gettysburg gun show a couple of years ago. 20 rounds per box.
    That and the other suggestions above show there are several flavors out there.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Invest in training and range time until you can better manage the recoil. It may be that you're not keeping the stock in tight enough to your shoulder, or that your weight isn't balanced correctly forward over your base. Low recoil can help, but it's probably a bandaid for a skill set issue.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Invest in training and range time until you can better manage the recoil. It may be that you're not keeping the stock in tight enough to your shoulder, or that your weight isn't balanced correctly forward over your base. Low recoil can help, but it's probably a bandaid for a skill set issue.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to cut recoil a little. A closed-breech 12ga and slugs is a combo that's at the top of the recoil scale for most people anyway. The reduced recoil loads are still effective. They're just a little slower, and maybe a few pellets lighter.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    The NobelSport 6 pellet 00 is another low recoil option. Even less recoil than the 9 pellet reduced recoil and doesn't seem to have the feeding issues that the Aguila mini shells do.

Westlake777

Oct 28, 2018
    Recoil

Shotguns generally have a harsh recoil..., it's a shotgun. Shotguns are like cannons that you hold. Right?

Sin cerely,

P. Wesley

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Well, actually you can with the Federal lower recoil “00”. Love the stuff.

It’s a nice break from the full loads, especially at requal time.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    The low recoil OO buck loads throw a tighter pattern. I use them for the house shotgun. You still have to aim it like a rifle.

Try a number of loads to see which one your shotgun likes.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    8 pellet reduced recoil Federal Flite Control is pretty much the standard for this kind of requirement if you need something for 2-legged critters.

Otherwise, birdshot kicks quite a lot less.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In as much as patterns are the limiting factor for 00B , and the better "tactical/ LE buck loads are also buffered with hard shot , the tighter patterns if anything extend the viable distances .

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    One answer is gun fit. It probably doesn't make sense to invest a lot in fitting/stock/recoil devices for a budget gun, but.....gun fit gun fit gun fit.
    I could buy two Mossbergs for the money I spent getting each of my target guns to fit, hit the right spot, and be shoulder friendly.
    And yes, a semi-auto will help along with proper loadings (slower powder). Spreading the recoil out over time is the key. You can't reduce it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    8 pellet reduced recoil Federal Flite Control is pretty much the standard for this kind of requirement if you need something for 2-legged critters.

Otherwise, birdshot kicks quite a lot less.

The Federal managed recoil slugs / FC wad buck are by far the best, very consistent, and the reduction in recoil and blast speeds up follow up shots noticeably while maintaining more than adequate penetration. The buck feels close enough to cheap heavy target birdshot loads that it works well for practice, and shooting steel at close range. If this is for hunting, then a rifled barrel and sabots may be even softer shooting, and far more accurate. For defensive use, a shotgun is probably the most difficult type of firearm to run competently, between low capacity, usual unweildy size, slow loading, and high recoil, most won't spend the time and money it takes to run one well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can also get bricks of Fed FC 8 pellet buck from SG Ammo for like 64c a round (plus shipping), which is very reasonable for quality buckshot. Not sure I'd make a habit of shooting it at the range every week, but it's affordable for classes and whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom