• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    THis is some sick stuff here people. This is the ACLU's official position on firearms. And it is basically ban them all

https://www.aclu.org/blog/mobilization/aclus-position-gun-control

web17-ACLUGeneric-1160x768.jpg
    ACLU logo
    This past weekend, hundreds of thousands of protestors from around the country took to the streets to demand action against gun violence. The movement has been energized by young people who turned out en masse in response to the horrific shooting in Parkland, Florida, in which 17 people — most of them teenagers — lost their lives. We applaud the many students who have exercised their speech rights to seek change. This moment calls on us to act not only to ensure that massacres like Parkland do not recur but to end the everyday gun violence that takes exponentially more lives from our communities. It also demands that we do so in a manner consistent with our most cherished civil liberties and constitutional rights.

Lawmakers across the country are currently considering a range of gun control measures. The American Civil Liberties Union firmly believes that legislatures can, consistent with the Constitution, impose reasonable limits on firearms sale, ownership, and use, without raising civil liberties concerns. We recognize, as the Supreme Court has stated, that the Constitution does not confer a “right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” But some proposed reforms encroach unnecessarily on civil liberties.

When analyzing gun control measures from a civil liberties perspective, we place them into one of three categories. First are laws that regulate or restrict particular types of guns or ammunition, regardless of the purchaser. These sorts of regulations generally raise few, if any, civil liberties issues. Second are proposals that regulate how people acquire guns, again regardless of the identity of the purchaser. These sorts of regulations may raise due process and privacy concerns, but can, if carefully crafted, respect civil liberties. Third are measures that restrict categories of purchasers — such as immigrants or people with mental disabilities — from owning or buying a gun. These sorts of provisions too often are not evidence-based, reinforce negative stereotypes, and raise significant equal protection, due process, and privacy issues.

Many of the options now being considered raise no civil liberties concerns. That includes bans on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and bump stocks. Raising the minimum age for all gun ownership to 21, currently the legal age for purchasing a handgun, also raises no civil liberties issues, as research on brain development shows that young people’s impulse control differs from that of adults.

So-called “red flag laws,” which provide for protective orders to remove guns from people who pose a significant risk to themselves or others, can also be a reasonable way to further public safety. To be constitutional, however, they must at a minimum have clear, nondiscriminatory criteria for defining persons as dangerous and a fair process for those affected to object and be heard by a court.

Other gun control measures may also be justified, such as laws that keep guns out of sensitive places like schools and government buildings; requirements that guns include smart technologies (like password protection) that ensure that only the lawful owner of the gun may use it; and requirements that gun owners first obtain a permit, much like a driver’s license, establishing that they know how to use guns safely and responsibly. There would also be no constitutional bar to lifting the existing limits on Center for Disease Control-funded research into guns and gun violence.

SENATORS: DEMAND THE CIA RELEASE HASPEL'S TORTURE RECORD

TAKE ACTION NOWExtending background checks, which cover federally licensed gun stores, to gun shows and other unlicensed transactions, is also a reasonable reform. There is no civil liberties justification for the “gun show loophole.” We do not object to universal background checks if the databases on which they rely are accurate, secure, and respect privacy.

But the categories of people that federal law currently prohibits from possessing or purchasing a gun are overbroad, not reasonably related to the state’s interest in public safety, and raise significant equal protection and due process concerns. Any number of the categories, for example, require no proof of dangerousness, and they often serve to further bias. For example, the list of those barred includes: anyone convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than a year, whether or not the crime has any connection to violence; people with mental disabilities and many noncitizens who have not been shown to be dangerous in any way; and those who have used substances on the federal controlled substance list, including marijuana in states in which it is legal.

Other proposed gun regulations also raise civil liberties concerns. The proposal to ban individuals listed on the No-Fly List from purchasing weapons, for example, is constitutionally problematic, because that list lacks basic due process protections and its standards are unconstitutionally vague.

Proposals to arm teachers and install metal detectors in schools also raise significant civil liberties implications. Introducing more guns to schools will not make them safer and may especially endanger children of color, who already bear the brunt of teachers and administrators’ racial biases. The solution to gun violence is not more guns, but less.

The Supreme Court has said that the Constitution permits reasonable regulations of firearms in the interest of public safety. We agree. But those regulations can and should be crafted to respect fundamental rights to equal protection, due process, privacy, and freedom from unlawful searches. Lawmakers should have the moral courage to act and to do so consistent with our most cherished liberties.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If only they could have started and stopped with the last paragraph. But it's quite clear that they've lost their direction, and don't understand that you can't ignore one section of the Bill of Rights without endangering the rest. What would "Intermediate Scrutiny" mean in a free speech or freedom of the press context?

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    they’re just making it up as they go along and leftist judges will gladly rubber stamp their nonsense with the imprimatur of legitimacy.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Raising the minimum age for all gun ownership to 21, currently the legal age for purchasing a handgun, also raises no civil liberties issues, as research on brain development shows that young people’s impulse control differs from that of adults.

So I guess the 1st ammendment shouldn't apply to those under 21, considering they all are capable of shouting fire in a movie theater. We better restrict it before someone does and people get killed in a stampede.:sarcasm:

Rights come with responsibility and can be dangerous when misused.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Raising the minimum age for all gun ownership to 21, currently the legal age for purchasing a handgun, also raises no civil liberties issues, as research on brain development shows that young people’s impulse control differs from that of adults.

Yet at 18 they can vote or be sent off to war.

I like how they try to gild the lily in referring to what they deem as our "most cherished liberties" but by doing so, reveal their bias, and weaken civil liberties as a whole.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

I somehow think if the discussion were on raising the age to vote to 21 they would have a wholly different stance on the thought processes of the young.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    15029863990413191717791330.png

ACLU fulfilling communist agenda

Political Math 2018: Trump + Russians + NRA = ...

Discover The Networks, June 13, 2018 ...
    The ACLU Officially Becomes a Partisan Group

For the first time in its history, the A.C.L.U. is taking an active role in elections. The group has plans to spend more than twenty-five million dollars on races and ballot initiatives by Election Day, in November. Anthony Romero, the group’s executive director, told me, “It used to be that, when I had a referendum I really cared about, I could spend fifty thousand dollars.”
    That's what happens when you're no longer a civil rights group ...
    In 2013, during the comparative quiet of the late Obama years, Romero had commissioned a study of how the National Rifle Association—another organization built around a specific view of a section of the Bill of Rights—has managed to operate so effectively as a public-advocacy organization. “The big takeaway for me from that study was that they were able to talk about their work not in legalistic policy terms,” Romero said. “On their Web site you won’t find anything about the Second Amendment. It’s all about gun culture.”

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Larry said at Great Mills High School that he would reject an endorsement form the NRA.

As if.

Another dick move by another rabid political animal. (Is that adjectivally redundant?)

I hate it that I have to vote for him. But I will.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Entrepreneur's guide to November's election

As if.

Another dick move by another rabid political animal. (Is that adjectivally redundant?)

I hate it that I have to vote for him. But I will.

Attachments

• Stink vote.JPG
      Stink vote.JPG
      58.5 KB · Views: 355

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Well it looks like yet another manifesto for the leftists to refer to when arguing "gun control". Certain people will believe anything that is thrown in front of them based on what they want to hear in the first place instead of using the scientific method. :mad54:

Nov 19, 2015
    Carney
    Proposals to arm teachers and install metal detectors in schools also raise significant civil liberties implications. Introducing more guns to schools will not make them safer and may especially endanger children of color, who already bear the brunt of teachers and administrators’ racial biases. The solution to gun violence is not more guns, but less.

It seems that the ACLU forgot to sight their sources again...let me help them a bit.

Let's start with "gun free zones""

XZVU9vP.png

BNE2Wid.png

qflpSVO.png

Hmmm, that does't look quite right, OK, how about racial bias then

yABVNOt.jpg

aoIjlsZ.jpg

HkexuHy.jpg

As we can see the ACLU is technically correct, schools are less safe and there is a racial bias, but they couldn't have the stats more backwards even if they tried.

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Oh, FFS!

:puke:

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Yet at 18 they can vote or be sent off to war.

I like how they try to gild the lily in referring to what they deem as our "most cherished liberties" but by doing so, reveal their bias, and weaken civil liberties as a whole.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was going to say the same thing. We should be lowering the age for handgun ownership and alcohol purchase, not raising the age of all gun ownership. An adult is an adult is an adult. If you're old enough for some adult rights and responsibilities, you're old enough for all of them.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The position of the national ACLU and the positions of regional chapters differ. For example, after heller came out the national org cried foul and said they would not recognize the decision and treat the 2a as an individual right. The texas chapter and a few others broke with the national position. I'm not sure what happened after that...

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    National HQ of ACLU is in NYC. It's not unexpected the organization's political views wouldn't differ much from that of the labor pool their leadership and workforce is drawn from.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom