Anyone else having trouble "pulling the trigger" on a new purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 6, 2019
    I’m having the opposite problem. I’ve bought an upper and built a lower for a 300BLK AR, a conversion kit for my P80, and a couple CZ 457 models. Add in accessories, a 10/22 a month or so prior, some reloading equipment, and some replacement parts for my CZ Precision Chassis and now I need more space. The silver lining is by the time it gets delivered to my FFL I can come up with a storage solution. Ammo will come around eventually, but if I want it and I see it at a decent price (not a decent price for the current environment) I have no issues getting it. Except for the 10/22 I don’t feel like I overpaid on anything and may have basically stolen a few of them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can’t say they F’ed with the system and that affected Xmas and yet claim the handling of mail in ballots worked flawlessly. Thats inconsistent.

I didn’t know the USPS didn’t hire temp workers. But if true, that’s a key point - and a ridiculous policy that would have been eliminated by competent management. They knew there was going to be a crush of mail this season and they had time to change the policy, hire temps and properly train them. They didn’t. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn’t handle them flawlessly. Which is why tens of thousands were delayed in being received on time. Why many states pushed through allowing them to be post marked by Election Day, but received after. IIRC on Election Day a sweep of post offices and sorting centers the estimate was several hundred thousand ballots nationwide were received on or PRIOR to Election Day, but hadn’t been delivered yet (and weren’t for days afterwards. Which means plenty were disqualified in states where they must be received by election officials by 8pm on Election Day no matter what the post mark says).

On the separate post for the number, so? Most states you could pickup your ballot early and mail it in or print it out and mail it in.

But it doesn’t matter as your number is incorrect. 65 million mailed ballots were returned and about 23 or so million were outstanding (as in never returned).

Not 1.5 mailed in for everyone delivered by USPS.

But when it comes down to it, the USPS cockups are all on the Trump administration which has been running it (in to the ground) for the last 4 years. Unless maybe it is the deep state.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    They didn’t handle them flawlessly. Which is why tens of thousands were delayed in being received on time. Why many states pushed through allowing them to be post marked by Election Day, but received after. IIRC on Election Day a sweep of post offices and sorting centers the estimate was several hundred thousand ballots nationwide were received on or PRIOR to Election Day, but hadn’t been delivered yet (and weren’t for days afterwards. Which means plenty were disqualified in states where they must be received by election officials by 8pm on Election Day no matter what the post mark says).

On the separate post for the number, so? Most states you could pickup your ballot early and mail it in or print it out and mail it in.

But it doesn’t matter as your number is incorrect. 65 million mailed ballots were returned and about 23 or so million were outstanding (as in never returned).

Not 1.5 mailed in for everyone delivered by USPS.

But when it comes down to it, the USPS cockups are all on the Trump administration which has been running it (in to the ground) for the last 4 years. Unless maybe it is the deep state.

Those weren’t my numbers. Reread.

And the USPS managers making staffing decisions aren’t Trumpers. We don’t know who they were hired by, but they are likely life long civil servants, working their way up from USPS clerk to branch manager. These people have written job descriptions that that adhere to as Gospel, never worrying about customer service, just doing it by the book. Even if the book is going to blow up on them, as it did. They don’t give a crap about service, the big picture, planning ahead. They care about putting in their 40, following policy and getting their pension. The Trump appointees are so many levels above the idiots actually running the system that it’s laughable. Your hatred for Trump has clearly colored your view of anything governmental.

A similar example, I live in Baltimore City where we are supposed to have the DPW pick up trash once a week and recycling once a week. Citing the same issues the USPS cites (COVID, hiring, etc) DPW stopped picking up recycling. We haven’t had recycling pickup in over 4 months now. Sounds like no big deal but the level of trash hasn’t slowed. And numerous residents don’t have the means to drive their recycling to a central pickup location. Trash generation has increased with so many stating home more. But in a time first of closed non essential businesses, then still of closed restaurants, unemployment is over 11%. Yet in 4 months DPW hasn’t hired temp workers or contractors to help fill the gap and pick up refuse. Now, can I blame the idiot liberals that have run Baltimore City for decades? Can I blame the outgoing mayor or the new one (formerly the city council president)? Or can we rightly lay the responsibility for dismal performance at the feet of the head of DPW - a civil servant who worked his way up the ranks.

See where I’m going with this? I get it, you hate trump. But that doesn’t make him to blame for all the ills of the county. And it doesn’t make him responsible for the USPS not properly hiring and training additional staff when they knew - as far back as June - that the election and Xmas were going to pose such problems. Hold the right people accountable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those weren’t my numbers. Reread.

And the USPS managers making staffing decisions aren’t Trumpers. We don’t know who they were hired by, but they are likely life long civil servants, working their way up from USPS clerk to branch manager. These people have written job descriptions that that adhere to as Gospel, never worrying about customer service, just doing it by the book. Even if the book is going to blow up on them, as it did. They don’t give a crap about service, the big picture, planning ahead. They care about putting in their 40, following policy and getting their pension. The Trump appointees are so many levels above the idiots actually running the system that it’s laughable. Your hatred for Trump has clearly colored your view of anything governmental.

A similar example, I live in Baltimore City where we are supposed to have the DPW pick up trash once a week and recycling once a week. Citing the same issues the USPS cites (COVID, hiring, etc) DPW stopped picking up recycling. We haven’t had recycling pickup in over 4 months now. Sounds like no big deal but the level of trash hasn’t slowed. And numerous residents don’t have the means to drive their recycling to a central pickup location. Trash generation has increased with so many stating home more. But in a time first of closed non essential businesses, then still of closed restaurants, unemployment is over 11%. Yet in 4 months DPW hasn’t hired temp workers or contractors to help fill the gap and pick up refuse. Now, can I blame the idiot liberals that have run Baltimore City for decades? Can I blame the outgoing mayor or the new one (formerly the city council president)? Or can we rightly lay the responsibility for dismal performance at the feet of the head of DPW - a civil servant who worked his way up the ranks.

See where I’m going with this? I get it, you hate trump. But that doesn’t make him to blame for all the ills of the county. And it doesn’t make him responsible for the USPS not properly hiring and training additional staff when they knew - as far back as June - that the election and Xmas were going to pose such problems. Hold the right people accountable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Except most of the policies that have resulted in this are a direct result of the head of the USPS, a Trump suggested hire taking cues from Trump. Stopped overtime, shut down sorting machines, prevented any after hours deliveries, etc. they are responsible for hiring priorities, etc.

That’s not a career employee decision and it’s directly lead to a lot of the issues. Even reverting, the damage is still done trying to get back to normal.

My boss and my bosses boss aren’t responsible for deciding my agency should hire a few hundred customer service personnel and freeze all staff hires. That comes from the agency head. The results of those decisions are also the responsibility of the agency head.

Sure, individual low level actions are on a career employee. But overall direction? There are three responsible parties. The appointed political leader of the agency, the president and congress. All people elected.

Yeah it is hard to blame an issue or distinction a few months in to a new president on them. But 4 years in? Either they didn’t fix the problems or they caused them directly. At best congress caused them through lack of funding. Trump came in to try to break government and he’s done a pretty good job of it. Which is why the postal service doesn’t work. State department has had the largest brain drain probably ever and we can’t even keep proper contact with many other countries and horrible overseas consulate services. IRS is at the lowest number of audits (losing more money to people improperly paying taxes accidentally or intentionally). FTC can’t take care of consumer complaints. FDA can’t cover all of the inspections they are supposed to do. Etc.

Also a correction, the head of the Baltimore Department of Public Works is appointed by the Mayor. It is not a career position. Just like the Police Chief, etc.

Sooooooo.......

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I would like to build more of my own guns but the term "Illegal to Possess" continually pops in my head. (Additional counts) :)

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I was thinking about this the other day actually. I don't really have any other handguns that I want. I have handguns that serve every role that I need served. I think I'm going to buy a 1911 though, just because this is America and I feel like I should have one :lol:

The lack of ammo would not deter me because I know it will be back eventually.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Hasn’t stopped me.... just do your research and set your price point, try to avoid an (mostly) emotional purchase decision. I’ve passed on some too expensive for what I’m getting in my book, but also bought one this year already that met my criteria I set out before I came across the gun.

Not Sure

Jan 1, 2021
    Nope, just purchased a new Glock 26 and built an 80% Glock.

I purchased two P80 G17's and have not found the time to build them. I know it shouldn't take but an hour or so to finish the first but.... There they sit on my shelf. I might just sell them, the availability of ammo is a factor.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Nope, last week shot 60 rounds of .500 S&W magnum and 40 rounds of 45/70. Typically, a box of 20 .500 goes for about $70.00 and box of 20 45/70 goes for $35.00. The total cost if I bought my ammo from a retailer would be $210.00 for a day of fun. I typically hit the range 1-2 times a month so it could get quite pricy.

Reloading is the key, since I reuse the brass, appropriate stock of powders, heads and primers no big deal. My cost to replace by reloading for all that I shot was about $80.00. When there was talk of the Red Death virus back at the end of last January of 2020 I started stock everything I could. Had to expand my storage and capabilities If I did not I would not be able to afford to practice.

I am now venturing in making my own projectiles, equipment costs for the start up is running about $238.00 including the molds, smelting pot and 5 lbs. of lead. I currently purchased 150 .500 S&W from Berry's for $210.00. So based on what I have paid for startup making my own will pay for itself in making my own 150 rounds.

Semper Paratus

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I decided to try to standardize on 9mm and have been planning on building an AR9 with a pistol lower I've had in the safe since 2012. A couple months ago I decided this was the year I was going to build it but with the ammo shortage it makes no sense to do so. I haven't even come close to buying any 9mm for anything south of 50 cents per round (I last bought in January for 16) so I've just stopped shooting almost entirely.

I decided to build it in 22LR thinking that would be a little easier to get and even if it was 10 cents per round, it was better than 9mm pricing and availability. Of course now that I've ordered the parts I can't find 22LR for shit either unless I want to pay 20 cents per round which is really hard considering I recall 5 cents per round in the not so distant past.

This ammo situation seems a lot worse than it was in 2013 and that was pretty bad.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I'm on the fence about getting Ruger 10/20 takedown since ammo is expensive and I need to get some cheaper caliber.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    9mm, 300 aac, 556 are too expensive. Let just use .22lr. It is expensive too. Maybe I have to downgrade to bb gun next. The plus side? You don't need to go to the range.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A couple of days ago I milled out two P80 AR lowers - now the real fun in planning the builds begins, and I have to figure out what I'm going to do with them to compliment the other two I already have. I also need to start looking towards a P80 AR10 build, although it looks like complete uppers for the AR10 are kind of hard to come by - they seem to be sold out almost everywhere.

In any case, I'm having no issues pulling the trigger on new purchases - I added 4 firearms to my accumulation in 2020 and I have at least that many more things on my list of things I still want to get.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I just bought a 1911 imported by SDS and made by Tisas in Turkey, which I had another thread on. The gun was on sale at Centerfire Systems below MSRP and I have .45 ammo because I reload. I still have a full box of bullets and enough primers and powder to reload another 1000 rounds. I'm glad I reload, and sympathize with those who don't and are stuck buying commercial ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom