• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Depends on how much training she's willing to do. Revolvers are harder to shoot than semi-automatic. I mean they definitely have their benefits. Reliable, doesn't go out of battery if you touch somebody with the muzzle. I carry one most days. But they are undeniably harder to shoot then semi-automatics because of the long and heavy trigger pull.

And I realize we are not talking about headshots at 25 yards here. But still. A really heavy trigger pull with an inexperienced shooter could absolutely pull a shot at self-defense distances.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    My wife's goto is a Charles Daly Honcho in 410. Negligible recoil. It racks itself forward. I saw a 20 gauge model on GunBroker.com for $405. If you want to get an affordable 38 Special, I just picked up a Rock Island Armory M200. It goes for about $275. The YouTube reviews are great. It has a decent DA and great SA trigger. Even the stock grip is nice. That leaves you plenty of money for ammo and range time. It is +P rated.

To echo everyone else, "what a girl wants..."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of those answers that never changes. If you're going to let her shoot different types of guns at the range, wait until she's done that and then ask her which one she liked best. If it's a viable defensive gun, go with that one.
    I would take one step back and first get her in an NRA Basic Pistol course, then do as you suggested. For women, I've found learning basic firearms handling and shooting is better coming from someone other than their husband or father. It worked for me with both wife and daughter.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    When my wife wanted a defensive handgun, My thought was a small frame 38/357 revolver for it's simplicity.
    I was so wrong, after some range time with 2 revolvers she was not feeling it,, 1 mag of a friends 9mm and she was sold.

She ended up getting a M&P shield and M&P 22. We try to practice once a week,, we are going to step it up to twice for a month or so.
    The key is TRAINING with what ever she chooses.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    My thought would be a Ruger SP 101 in .38/ 357 with a 3" or 4" barrel.
    Some women don't like a heavy gun. The 3" is 27 oz., the 4" is 29 oz.

I'd recommend .38 hollow point ammo. I'd suggest range practice AND especially dry firing which is very important and can be done while watching TV.

This is REAL important. Swap out the sights for Tritium night sights. This makes a huge difference for target acquisition at night.

I've been shooting revolvers all my life ( I'm 75 ). It can happen but..... I've never had a wheel gun F U.

Ultimately, it's whatever she likes.

Attachments

• SP 101.jpg
      SP 101.jpg
      12.8 KB · Views: 213

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Over the years, I'd had a couple of problems at various ranges with semi-auto pistols...jams, FTF, one stovepipe, and on, horrors, a Glock, the mag repeatedly falling out. I can deal with that, but my wife cannot.

If I am out of town on a business trip and someone breaks into the house and is threatening my wife, I want her to be able to pull the trigger and be confident the gun will go bang. That's why I am leaning towards a DA revolver.

As much as Mrs. Occam is getting better by the month at handling the rare misadventures that can come up with the semi-autos she's been regularly shooting, the gun next to the bed is a S&W Governor. Sure, it's a big frame, but she handles it fine. Big ba-da-boom, times six. She's got 45LC JHPs in three, every other is a .410 PDX splatter-matic round. I do NOT want to be the guy ignoring her command to stay the f out of the bedroom.

That said, there's a meaningful shotgun under the bed, and another pistol in the nightstand on my side. If SHTF, we'll never argue about anything again unless we both learn sign language, cuz, loud!

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Get her a 22mag revolver. After about a year, convince her to get a .38. Then she'll get the bug and want more.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    My wife likes my S&W 64. I think she likes it because it is shiny and doesn't hurt when she shoots it.

Funny thing though. She hits stuff when she shoots my AR's. She wants a pistol, but I've given her an AR-15 (20 rd mag).

She doesn't like the AR's because they are TOO LOUD.

Last edited:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    S&W model 60, 3 inch barrel in 38sp would be my top recommendation.

While im perfectly fine with racking a slide, I’d rather have something with fewer steps to operate at her bedside

My wife loves shooting service revolvers. She isn't a big fan of semis because "There is too much stuff going on all at once. I prefer a loud bang and nothing else".

My wife likes my S&W 64. I think she likes it because it is shiny and doesn't hurt when she shoots it.

Funny thing though. She hits stuff when she shoots my AR's. She wants a pistol, but I've given her an AR-15 (20 rd mag).

She doesn't like the AR's because they are TOO LOUD.

That is my wife's favorite gun to shoot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, no ! This is for nightstand , not pocket carry . Avoid small frame snub .38spl , the default revolver should be a Medium frame .38spl/ loaded with .38spl .

Much easier to shoot , much better practical accuracy .

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    seriously, have her check out a 9mm pistol caliber carbine. while it's a bigger form factor than a handgun, people (incl smaller women and kids) with zero experience pick these up and look like pro's, it's just super easy to shoot.

make sure the gun is super reliable as there are def some that aren't. have her shoot an idpa and/or uspsa match with it of course after she has become familiar with it. excellent way to see how it and she works under just a little stress.

czman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 20, 2020
    My thought would be a Ruger SP 101 in .38/ 357 with a 3" or 4" barrel.
    Some women don't like a heavy gun. The 3" is 27 oz., the 4" is 29 oz.

I'd recommend .38 hollow point ammo. I'd suggest range practice AND especially dry firing which is very important and can be done while watching TV.

This is REAL important. Swap out the sights for Tritium night sights. This makes a huge difference for target acquisition at night.

I've been shooting revolvers all my life ( I'm 75 ). It can happen but..... I've never had a wheel gun F U.

Ultimately, it's whatever she likes.

That revolver would appeal to my wife's sense of style! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom