• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Thanks to My Toy and Brownstone Trading Co. for the transfer this one came home with me tonight! Really cool variant of the GP100- always wanted a shorter barreled but full frame revolver- fits great in my hand. Photo with my .38 2.25” SP101 for size comparison.

Attachments

• 92E01F62-48FD-4082-B301-3C4578AC23E9.jpg
      92E01F62-48FD-4082-B301-3C4578AC23E9.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 468
    • 4772C143-8A42-4AE6-97FC-ACCD676F260D.jpg
      4772C143-8A42-4AE6-97FC-ACCD676F260D.jpg
      108.4 KB · Views: 476

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I've got the Wiley Clapp version of that , love that pistol . I have 2 other GP100s as well , and blued 3" and a 6" stainless . The Wiley Clapp is my favorite .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I've got the Wiley Clapp version of that , love that pistol . I have 2 other GP100s as well , and blued 3" and a 6" stainless . The Wiley Clapp is my favorite .

Love the grips on that version- going to upgrade the factory and considering that option if I can find them.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Love GP100's. Friend had the 5" version stainless. This was late 80's. Just worked well. Wish I bought it off him before he moved to Arizona.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Here's a photo of my SP-101 and my Speed-Six.

I've never much cared for the GP-100s as they seem too blocky looking. I mean, they look like investment casting. The kind I did in high school.

That said, I know a lot of folks like 'em. The SP-101 is a great gun, but if I could have afforded a S&W 60 .357, I would have opted for it. I love the Speed-Six a lot, but I've never liked the damn writing on the side. The S&W 65 was a stylish revolver, but I never, ever, saw one on a dealer's shelf. Or a 66...or a 60 .38Spc. Rugers were seemingly always available, and they were stainless steel (in Utah, never saw a blued one). I got a S&W 13 and foolishly sold it, figuring I'd be able to buy another, but never had the chance.

The Ruger Security-Six was a better gun than the S&W 66, but the 66 had more class as long as one wasn't going to just shoot the living daylights out of it. I learned to change the springs and smooth the action out, so as long they looked the same more or less, I was sold on the Rugers. But with the GPs, they just became a bit too boxy.

The Ruger Security-Six with a 2.75-inch barrel at
    least looked a bit like the S&W 66.

And unlike the SP-101, it took an extra round.

I'm unhappy that Ruger discontinued the Security-Six and changed the weight, size and balance of its line of double-action .357s.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Looking at yours, I believe the grip on my 3" GP100 is smaller. Would be interesting to directly compare them.
    I don't visit many gun stores any more but would like to know how many .357 revolvers people have actually seen on dealer's shelves without underlugs? I know they exist; I just don't know how available they are, and whether they tended to be the same price, more, or less than fully lugged versions.

I also know many revolvers with 3-inch barrels are in demand and wondered if they pulled down higher/lower prices than standard revolvers.

--

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I don't visit many gun stores any more but would like to know how many .357 revolvers people have actually seen on dealer's shelves without underlugs? I know they exist; I just don't know how available they are, and whether they tended to be the same price, more, or less than fully lugged versions.

I also know many revolvers with 3-inch barrels are in demand and wondered if they pulled down higher/lower prices than standard revolvers.

--

The S&W Models 13 and 65 come to mind. Some were made with underlugs, IIRC.

3 inch barrel is about right for a carry revolver. I have had a 3 inch S&W M64 since 1982.

The 3 inch S&W M13 was once the issue revolver for the FBI.

It does seem the 3 inchers cost more these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom