AR-15 complete lowers Cash & Carry or 7-Day weight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • While I'm sure this has been brought up before I'm getting conflicting answers when I do a search.

Are complete AR-15 lowers including stock considered rifles so they can be sold Cash and Carry or are they considered regulated because they are AR-15 lowers? I have one gun store that tells me they will not sell AR-15 complete lowers including stock as a rifle but they will sell AR-10 and AR- 9 lowers as cash and carry which makes no sense to me because both of those can also be used to build a pistol.

So which is it?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    While I'm sure this has been brought up before I'm getting conflicting answers when I do a search.

Are complete AR-15 lowers including stock considered rifles so they can be sold Cash and Carry or are they considered regulated because they are AR-15 lowers? I have one gun store that tells me they will not sell AR-15 complete lowers including stock as a rifle but they will sell AR-10 and AR- 9 lowers as cash and carry which makes no sense to me because both of those can also be used to build a pistol.

So which is it?
    When I queried MSP here was there answer.

Hi,
    I want to make sure I am not being overly restrictive in terms of transferring lower receivers. For discussion,I am breaking items up into 4 categories,* all of which I have or tell potential customers we need to follow state regulated sales process.

1. Basic AR-15 lower stripped or completed without any type of butt stock.

MSP** - Requires a 77R and a 4473.

2. AR-15 complete lower assembly with Carbine or Rifle Buttstock.

MSP -*Requires a 77R and a 4473 unless this is a completed heavy barrel rifle (exception Bushmaster which is automatically banned) at which time only a 4473 would be required since it would be a long gun.

3. AR-10 lower receiver stripped or completed in any fashion.

MSP **- AR-10's are not regulated at this time and can be sold using a 4473.**

4. Any other type of serialized receiver needing FFL to transfer

MSP** - Any lower receiver of any of the enumerated regulated firearms or their copies listed under Public Safety 5-101 (r)(2).* Two prime examples are the AR-15 lower and AK-47 lowers.* They are enumerated and therefore the lowers would require a 77R and 4473.* However with the AK-47 lower, a person can only build a handgun or sbr (in compliance with federal and state law).
    I get questions on why on 2 and 3 often.
    Any more prescriptive guidance I can point customers too?
    Vr,
    Mike Bourque*
    MTB Gunworks*

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That clarifies things.

If you buy a completed lower without a HB installed, you need both forms.

BUT! What if I give the selling FFL a MD complaint HB upper to install on the complete lower, then buy the lower as a complete rifle? What forms then?

What if you don't want a 5.56 upper? Then the h-bar requirement goes out the window for now. What if I just want to buy the lower complete with a stock and no upper? Do I have to tell them what Caliber Upper on putting on it? If not then why can't I just buy the lower receiver complete with the stock as a rifle? I know it's ridiculous but I don't need the upper. If I can buy a full rifle Cash and Carry and the rifle is considered the lower serialized portion why can't I just buy a completed lower as cash and carry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom