• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Any tips for replacing the Marlin 60 buffer?
    I had a couple of issues at the range today and figured I had better do a thorough cleaning of the rifle when I got home. When I took it apart, I saw that the buffer of my 20 year old rifle was shattered.
    I ordered a couple from Midway since the shipping was the same either way, but I can't seem to find a helpful online video for some guidance. The videos I could find weren't very helpful and I'm hoping some of you can help with some suggestions.
    Thanks.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    To reply to my own post, I did just find this disassembly / reassembly video which is actually helpful. Hopefully it can help someone else too.

https.//youtu.be/3oF8QHgVzH8

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    To reply to my own post, I did just find this disassembly / reassembly video which is actually helpful. Hopefully it can help someone else too.

[YT]3oF8QHgVzH8[/YT]

That was a good video. I need to service my old model 60.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    That was a good video. I need to service my old model 60.

I had the exact same cracked buffer issue with my Glenfield 60. That video helped ne a lot. I also took pictures before I disassembled in case things "flew apart".

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Mine is 37. Bought it when I was 14. I haven't shot it in awhile but I'm feeling nostalgic.

Bought mine 40 years ago! Already been through 1 buffer about 25 years ago. Never replaced the springs though. Probably have around 15K rounds through mine and it is still as accurate as the day I bought it. Used to shoot it all the time when I was a kid on the NCR trail at the bridge near where Ashland turns into Paper Mill in Cockeysville. That was before it was a bike trail. We used to be able to drive down the old tracks to the bridge. My daughters love to shoot the old 60:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I guess I ought to check my Marlin 99C (fancy Model 60). It is now 51 years old. :)

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Completed the repair today. That video was extremely helpful.
    One tip. If you remove the little c-clips, do it over an old white bath towel. I inadvertently launched the first one I removed and, if it weren't for the light colored towel, it would have been lost forever.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I always seem to have trouble getting the c clips reseated in the slots. They can be on the pins without actually being seated in the slots. I always triple check.

Often, nothing happens other than finding a loose clip inside the stock the next time you take it apart ... unless 2 fall off :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom