• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Hello Maryland Shooters!

New guy from the Midwest here trying to get ready for the move. I'm from Wisconsin and have been living in Indiana for some time, so this is my first time living out east and in a ban state, so I'm trying to make sure I can keep one of my favorite hobbies going.

Only have one banned firearm (BCM4) and I've had it since 2012, but nevertheless it seems like the info here will be very helpful.

Also, if anyone has any helpful tips for a young couple starting off in the Baltimore area, they would be much appreciated :)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Please don't listen to the guys that say do not move here. This is a great state. We have some dumb laws but you get that everywhere.

Welcome to the forum.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sorry about your luck but, welcome. The fun part is finding a way around 'their' insanity and still remaining legal. Keep it here and again, welcome.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    welcome aboard, pretty sure you can keep your "banned riffle" since it was bought prior to 10/1/13.just have to register it with MSP

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Welcome!

When it comes to the Baltimore/DC corridor just know that everything here is expensive, there are many stupid laws(not just gun laws), and a lot of not so safe areas. Beyond that it's beautiful state with generally a decent climate. Close proximity to both the ocean and the mountains.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    If you're not opposed to a commute, I'd live outside of Baltimore. I guess that may just be my opinion though. The only places I go in Baltimore are Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium, or the Inner Harbor, otherwise I try not to venture too far into Baltimore. Welcome by the way.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    More Sconnies!!!!!!!!!

Couple of us here. Myself and Fidelity and a bunch of others......

Where abouts in Wisconsin are you from, ya der hey?

Can you borrow me a dollar? :lol2:

Welcome from Marriottsville.......

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

The girlfriend is very excited about living in Baltimore, so that's not changing :rolleyes:

Thank you for the registration information, I was wondering if that was going to be necessary. A related question: I've read how much of a PITA it is to buy a handgun in Maryland. Is buying one now while I am still officially a WI state resident a way around that hoopla?

I'm from Milwaukee, WI, so nortern accent out of me:) Been in West Lafayette for school for longer than I care to think about though.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Yes, buy handguns while you can. Its not too hard to do once you get here, but requires a license (the hql). Costs at least $100 and takes a month to get one.

Dec 31, 2012

The girlfriend is very excited about living in Baltimore, so that's not changing :rolleyes:

Thank you for the registration information, I was wondering if that was going to be necessary. A related question: I've read how much of a PITA it is to buy a handgun in Maryland. Is buying one now while I am still officially a WI state resident a way around that hoopla?

I'm from Milwaukee, WI, so nortern accent out of me:) Been in West Lafayette for school for longer than I care to think about though.

Welcome

Buying a handgun and bringing it with you is not a bad option or else you'll need to obtain Maryland's Handgun Qualification License. A class, fingerprinting, and fees.

I'm hazarding a guess but are you coming to Baltimore for advanced education opportunities?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

If you two are young, You would probably like the environs of ''Fed Hill''. A pub on every corner and lots of fun stuff to do there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Definitely buy at least one handgun before you move here, if you don't own one already. That will exempt you from the onerous training requirement if you want to buy another handgun later (although your banned rifle might exempt you anyway: this law is new and confusing).

DO NOT LIVE IN BALTIMORE. Even the "nice" areas are hell. Parking alone is hell, not to mention all the other hellish aspects of that hellhole. Do everything you can to get that foolish idea out of your girlfriend's head. Otherwise, dump her.

Choose a place to live relative to the Associated Gun Clubs Range in Marriottsville.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I was actually a bit surprised, the features list is much more relaxed in MD than most states with bans.

That's because we fought like hell.

Thank aray's daughter for our telescoping stocks.

(Thank you, aray's daughter!)

Many of the oddities people sneer at are the result of the fights we've made. For instance, when they first moved to restrict AR15s, we fought back and got the HBAR exemption. We have to drive 30 miles to buy magazines out of state, but 12/20/30/100 round magazines are legal here, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom