• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was having a learning moment for everyone , not the OP in particular.

But no , nothing magical about either QC or susceptability to subsequent damage to 230 fmj either. Any ammo used for social purposes gets minimum visual and tactile inspection before going into gun , or on body reloads each time. I know it sounds anal and paranoid written out step by step, but after you are used to it , only adds a few seconds unless a problem is found. Kind of like not sitting on a toilet w/o verifing the status of the seat and/or lid first.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Do you use any spray type thin oil in that gun ?
    With all your loading and unloading, you could have contaminated that batch of ammo.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Just curious - was it produced during the ammo crisis of last year? I think QC went to hell when they were making the stuff as fast as they possibly could.[/QUOTE]

No, its older than that.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Do you use any spray type thin oil in that gun ?
    With all your loading and unloading, you could have contaminated that batch of ammo.

I guess anything is possible. I don't use an excess amount of oil, but lubricate lightly as you would expect after cleaning. Just Hoppes oil on the typical areas.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

This was strictly a defective round = inadequate crimp...

When I reload I use a simple test for my crimp...

First I crimp my rounds to a known specific diameter measured at the end of the brass (45ACP = .470 Diameter)...

Second I measure the overall length of the round (bottom of flange to point of bullet head) with a good quality dial caliper & write down the number...

Third I hold the bullet like a pencil, nose down on a hard surface, I put the thumb of my other hand over the primer end of the round & press down hard = 25 pounds (guess)...

Finally I re-measure the overall length of the round, if it is shorter than it was, the bullet moved further into the case = inadequate crimp...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ammo I've had for awhile, moved from one mag to the next as necessary to keep springs fresh. Being that it's expensive SD ammo, I remove it and use 230 grain at the range mostly.
    But it's never been chambered.

FYI, mag springs stay "fresh" for years fully loaded. Compression and expansion weakens the springs. Load once and forget it.

But, if you feel the need to "cycle" your rounds and mags, rotate the top round so that it isn't the first chambered round over and over. This is only an issue if you aren't shooting those rounds. I would take a sharpie and just mark the round so you know that it had been chambered before.

Never been chambered? So you haven't fired it, especially with the defense ammo? I would suggest you suck up the $40 box of ammo and at least fire 50 rounds through it to see how it does.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Unlikely but possible the round rode foward and somehow got held up on the feedramp. Was there resistance when you pulled the mag out?

Any way you slice it the case mouth had to be loose for this to happen I would think.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Never been chambered? So you haven't fired it, especially with the defense ammo? I would suggest you suck up the $40 box of ammo and at least fire 50 rounds through it to see how it does.

No, I've put at least a thousand rounds through this firearm, and I have shot this defensive ammo as well. I was just stating that this particular round was not chambered in the firearm while I was carrying it.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Ammo defect most likely. Looks like a good time to check out Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST. Much newer bullet designs. Even if .45 ACP is quite good with Hydra-shock.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you still have the casing and the bullet, how tight is the fit? Can you reinsert the bullet by hand?

Doesn't easily fit, but I didn't want to fool around with it too much just in case Federal wants to inspect it.
    That said, they may not care to inspect it since their CS hasn't responded to my inquiry from Saturday. :sad20:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Doesn't easily fit, but I didn't want to fool around with it too much just in case Federal wants to inspect it.
    That said, they may not care to inspect it since their CS hasn't responded to my inquiry from Saturday. :sad20:

I would have thought that you would have had a reply by now.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Could the lips of the mag be spread open enough from age/use the when you seated the mag the top round was able to slightly self insert into the chamber enough to pull the bullet out of the case when you removed the mag?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom