• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Has anyone reloaded with Xtreme plated 123 grain .312 bullets before? I recently acquired a bunch of them and I plan on making them a fun plinking round.

I will be shooting them from a Ruger American Ranch bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm. My current load is:

16.9 gr H4198
    berrys 123 gr .311
    2.184 COL
    No crimp

I Reloaded 5 cartridges with the xtreme bullets with the same data but with 2.1 COL due to the length of the bullets being shorter than the berrys. I'll probably test them out this weekend and report back.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns are appreciated.Thanks

UPDATE:

I tried them out and I got the best luck with using the original berrys .311 mentioned above. I was able to get 1 MOA out of them from 100 yards out, but the case came out dirty and there are some traces of unburned powder. Possibly need to add some filler to make sure that these loads work safely.

The Xtreme .312s mentioned with load data mentioned below are decent, producing ~2 MOA/100 yards:

7 gr trailboss
    xtreme 123 gr .312
    2.100 COL
    No crimp
    FC headstamps

I tried 7.5 - 8.5 range loads and they are performed worst than the starting 7 gr loads. I probably won't go under 7 grains as they are being pushed pretty weak (barely any recoil).

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Check what the max velocity of them are. I had some 30-30 copper plated ones and they were horrible. I think on the website they mention a max velocity for copper plating vs FMJ

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Max velocity for xtreme .312s are 1500 fps. I havent tried them out yet, but I loaded a couple of 80 percent trailboss loads to see how that compares. Many sources say trailboss can achieve sub-sonic/reduced velocity load performance and may be preferable for these pills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom