• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    New York insurance commission sues the NRA
    (Yes. I know I botched the thread title.)

They say it offers "insurance for illegal behavior".

I have worked with insurance in New York for over a decade. Let me tell you the New York insurance commission is the most anti consumer government agency on the planet.

EVERYTHING they do restricts the availability of insurance to New York residents while raising the cost on the limited few products they allow

All in the name of "consumer protection". It is a government sponsored scam running unchecked

https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...s-nra-with-offering-insurance-without-license

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What nonsense. The types of insurance products offered by these outfits (USCCA, etc ... but NO LONGER the NRA, they were basically forced out of that business) explicitly do NOT "cover" illegal behavior. If you have insurance that provides coverage for your legal expenses in the wake of a self defense shooting, it generally dries up and goes away the moment you're found guilty of crime. The NY commission is following the latest new liberal trend: total contempt for due process.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    What nonsense. The types of insurance products offered by these outfits (USCCA, etc ... but NO LONGER the NRA, they were basically forced out of that business) explicitly do NOT "cover" illegal behavior. If you have insurance that provides coverage for your legal expenses in the wake of a self defense shooting, it generally dries up and goes away the moment you're found guilty of crime. The NY commission is following the latest new liberal trend: total contempt for due process.

The NY Insurance Commission is anti insurance. Period.

In the state of New York I cannot sell an insurance policy, despite holding a NY State insurance license, if I initiate the interaction with the customer in any way shape or form

I can't go there and solicit business. I can't assist someone with filling out an application. I have to put insurance products up for sale, hope the customer sees them, and the let them enroll themselves without my help

(This is for group products sold through an employer benefit plan)

It is insane.

And every group policy I offer has a "no criminal act" omission in the contract. You break your leg while robbing a bank? You arenct covered.

This NRA plan was the same way

The NRA plan also wasn't insurance. It is a legal fee reimbursement. Similar legal plans that cover just about anything else in the same way are offered in NY and are not considered insurance.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Every Pro-2A needs to hit this one hard.

Gun Control people say that insurance should be mandatory, then they sue the insurers for offering insurance.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Every Pro-2A needs to hit this one hard.

Gun Control people say that insurance should be mandatory, then they sue the insurers for offering insurance.

I hadn't thought about this. Really, really good point you make. Another example of demanding 'solutions' and then fighting any reasonable actions taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom