• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A good home video recording system might be a good part of a self defense strategy.

In today's hyper-polarized world, it seems like "innocent until proven guilty" is out the window. Look at Travon Martin. Before the body was cold, people had judged Zimmerman innocent or guilty.

Having some evidence to back up your claim that you feared for your life might not be such a bad thing.

Had the townhouse behind which Z and Martin got into a fight been equipped with good quality surveillance, this would have never made it past the first hearing.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Good info, thank you. A two camera system with dvr and cable for 1080 recording is $700 rounded from one of the Maryland security companies i visited. Thats about the low end. Does buy once, cry once apply here.

'1080' and 'DVR' suggest that it is a system that uses video signal for transmission and and a analog to digital converter with digital recording (DVR). That's sort of the old style of doing this, about one notch above a VHS tape. IF you already had the coax wiring from a fully analog system, this can be a worthwhile option. For a new install, I believe that at this point it should be done using IP cameras and network video recorders (NVR). The digitally recorded image remains a digital signal and is transmitted via at Cat5e or Cat6 network cable as network traffic. The cable also carries electrical power from the NVR or switch to the camera via 'power over ethernet' (PoE).

There are some NVRs on the market that have an integrated PoE network switch to directly connect the cameras. It's basically plug+play, also has the advantage of staying separate from the rest of your home network. All you need is a safe place to lock away the NVR (e.g. inside of a gun safe) and a network connection to your internet router. You can then watch the cameras from a tablet or computer inside or outside of your home.

As for what quality cameras you need, I really suggest you get on-site expert advice. It depends on how far you are from your target, how high you mount the camera, what angle/focal-length lens you use etc. I could tell you '5MP is great' or '3MP is good' and it would mean nothing for your application. You mentioned that your main concern are your cars. I assume that this is one of those town-home places where you don't have spots on your property but all cars park in some sort of cul-de-sac or along the road between the homes. You don't want a wide-angle camera that shows the whole area, you want a lens calculated to have the right angle to show whatever 3 or 4 spots your cars are parked on. You then want a resolution (and illumination) high enough to give you face recognition quality images. A grainy night-vision video that just shows a 'male or female possibly white or black' helps you nothing to solve a car burglary.

Last edited:

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    I just came out of the field with my game cam card and I have named the individual raccoons at this point, and they wear masks! :)

I thought about throwing my game camera up but its such a populated area it would get stolen pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    Some good info in this thread, still wondering what it has to do with MD 2A....

You have to much time to wonder if your still doing it.

There was no obvious forum that dealt with legality issues of this nature so I took a shot in this one. I even mentioned that in my post.

It would definitely pay off in a home defense situation. Unless it shows you dragging the guy back into your house! <~~~ joking of course...

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Hey all, I live in an end unit town home that has had my wife's vehicle and mine burglarized. Both times the vehicle was left unlock unintentional because sometimes your forget to lock vehicle but that aside, people should be in your vehicle wether its locked or not.
    I want to put up a video camera that will be in my front door way that points to the parking lot where my vehicles are. Three of my neighbors cars will be in view however. Is this legal?
    Sorry if wrongs place, legal matter not pertaining to guns.

Lock your vehicle. It targeted was because it wasn't.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I would tend to avoid analog (coax) in favor of network (IP) cameras.

Check with any homeowners assoc. to see if they require pre-approval to change the exterior of your town house.

Get the highest resolution cameras you can afford (ie 1080P) and mount them all over your exterior at eye level. There is nothing worse than capturing part of a crime or having useless video.

You can post a security sign (like and alarm sign) outdoors warning of 24x7 security audio & video recording to remove any doubt and also deter crime.

Consider cameras with edge storage and/or a 180 degree view. Other options include:
    http://bit.ly/2dgzIsN

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I would tend to avoid analog (coax) in favor of network (IP) cameras.

Check with any homeowners assoc. to see if they require pre-approval to change the exterior of your town house.

Get the highest resolution cameras you can afford (ie 1080P) and mount them all over your exterior at eye level. There is nothing worse than capturing part of a crime or having useless video.

You can post a security sign (like and alarm sign) outdoors warning of 24x7 security audio & video recording to remove any doubt and also deter crime.

Consider cameras with edge storage and/or a 180 degree view. Other options include:
    http://bit.ly/2dgzIsN

All the camera kits you linked to are using coax and analog transmission. Did you intend to link to other kits ?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Do it, one way or another.
    not sure if coincidence but I have had my cars opened up twice in about 10 years. Took my GPS and some nick nacks.
    Put an inexpensive wired CCTV DVR from Q-See in about 3 years ago. Nothing since then. I left my car unlocked so many times by accident I forgot.
    I captured the Scotts Lawn guy doing a walk around my house and not applying anything (was an application to the grass paper work said) then leaving me a bill.
    He did this twice and I confirmed on the video. They no longer provide me service.
    Inside my doors, I have the internet based cameras with ADT. I got extra on ebay and set them up. I can relocate them.
    Those, I capture my kids sneaking out of bed at night :) they don't do it anymore :)

mtm1974

Aug 21, 2015
    Cockeysville, MD
    Ring.com stick up cam - put it in plain view. If it gets stolen, file a police report and they will send you a new one. Wireless, 720p, rechargeable or solar powered

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    I'm currently putting up a home surveillance system using a home server, ip cameras, etc. and eventually will have it tied into a security system.

A few things on cameras.

IR attracts spiders so the outdoor cameras with the IR LED's will need to be cleaned often during bug season.

Do not use dome cameras in direct sunlight. Turrets are best.

Most software will allow you the ability to pick an area within the cameras view for motion and when tweaked works well. Otherwise you will need a large hard drive.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Learn and do yourself.

ipcamtalk.com is the leading forum.

Read up on sites where you would find good security practices, study how certain installations deploy cameras, etc.

Main thing is, set a goal. You want to ID everyone at your front door, on your property or on the sidewalk?

IP cameras. NVR or a standalone PC running quality software.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I wonder if you have to use their cloud. I am running Blue Iris at home and cannot find a plain doorbell ip camera. Evidently a LOT of people want one but no one makes one. :tdown:

Look at IPCamTalk. There is a thread about IP door bell cameras which are ONVIF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom