• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    Remember Governor Jay Nixon of Missouri? Immediately after the incident in Ferguson MO, He said "a vigorous prosecution must now be pursued" in the shooting death of Michael Brown. Link.

In July, Gov Nixon vetoed a number of pro-gun bills. Most important of these was Senate Bill 656.

When vetoing SB 656, Governor Nixon made the following statement:
    “Arming teachers will not make our schools safer,” Governor Nixon said. “I have supported and will continue to support the use of duly authorized law enforcement officers employed as school resource officers, but I cannot condone putting firearms in the hands of educators who should be focused on teaching our kids.”​
    SB656 proposes:

• Allowing Teachers to arm themselves in school after a lengthy qualification process
    •Allows the open carrying of firearms in all localities with a carry permit. Some localities currently have ordinances that ban open carrying of firearms, even by those with a valid carry permit.
    •States that no law shall require health care professionals to inquire about a patient’s ownership or possession of firearms and prohibits the documentation of such information into a database.
    •Reduces the age from 21 to 19 for those wishing to apply for a concealed carry permit.
    •Allows someone to qualify for a concealed carry permit using a revolver or semi-automatic pistol, rather than having to qualify with each firearm.
    •Requires one instructor for every forty people for the classroom portion of a firearms safety training course. Current law allows only forty people per classroom regardless of the number of instructors present.
    •Specifies that no public housing authority shall prohibit a lessee or a member of the lessee’s immediate household or guest from personally possessing firearms within an individual residence, common areas, or from carrying or transporting firearms to and from such residence in a manner allowed by law.​

Today & tomorrow, the MO Legislature will consider whether or not to override Governor Nixon's Veto:
    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...n-during-tomorrows-veto-override-session.aspx

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Fuzzy on the details, but it appears they MAY have overridden it...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_cdd25bb1-3990-531d-a508-7ab7dd9de974.html

Shortly before midnight, Senate Republicans used a rare maneuver to cut off a Democratic filibuster on a bill that will triple the waiting period for abortions, requiring a wait of 72 hours.

After the Senate ended debate by a vote of 21-9, the abortion bill was enacted over the governor’s veto. The vote was 23-7. Earlier, the House had voted 117-44 for the abortion bill.

An override requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers — 23 votes in the Senate and 109 votes in the House.

House members opposed to the abortion bill pointed to its lack of an exception for victims of rape and incest, while proponents argued that a life was a life, regardless of how it was conceived.

By the time the House adjourned at about 3 a.m., legislators had overridden vetoes of 10 non-budget bills, also a record. They included bills letting school districts designate teachers to carry guns and barring the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Nice! The only issue I can see with arming teachers is the problem we have in Baltimore that I read earlier in the year. There were over 350+ (can't remember exact number) attacks on teachers by students. What happens when one of those teachers is armed and outmuscled?

Now, I personally would have no problem with a teacher having to draw down and possibly shoot one of these thugs but the media play and parents? Just something to think about.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Okay, State preempts local OC laws provided individual has a permit. Similar to Indiana's LTCH (any carry requires permit). I'm comfortable with this. Probably will result in a few "man with a gun" calls. Eh, it happens.

Would have preferred they kept familirization of both revolver and semiauto in the permit requirements, but meh. Still notice they haven't bothered to waive the training requirement for a DD-214. Looks like I'm still shelling out $250 rather than $125 for Mrs. Snake and I.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Nice! The only issue I can see with arming teachers is the problem we have in Baltimore that I read earlier in the year. There were over 350+ (can't remember exact number) attacks on teachers by students. What happens when one of those teachers is armed and outmuscled?

Now, I personally would have no problem with a teacher having to draw down and possibly shoot one of these thugs but the media play and parents? Just something to think about.

There is always a risk, but to condemn teachers to have no chance of self defense against the same thugs just because of some other presumed risk, is very narrow sighted. The fact that they must operate in a more risky environment is, in itself, reason to be armed.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

What you call an issue I call a benefit. School is basically just an expensive cage for the animals of Baltimore and every good shelter knows when it is time to put down their aggressive animals.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

What you call an issue I call a benefit. School is basically just an expensive cage for the animals of Baltimore and every good shelter knows when it is time to put down their aggressive animals.

You know, as much as I agree with the idea of arming teachers, I really feel that we need to put resources into figuring out why these kids are acting out and how we can help them.

It's pretty sad that a society as advanced as ours can't work out these problems without resorting to weapons of last resort.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I admit that it's hard for me to make a case for barring teachers from carrying weapons...but it does make me nervous. There are a lot of attacks on teachers...plus the first time a teachers gun accidentally goes off I think the whole idea will come crashing down.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I admit that it's hard for me to make a case for barring teachers from carrying weapons...but it does make me nervous. There are a lot of attacks on teachers...plus the first time a teachers gun accidentally goes off I think the whole idea will come crashing down.

BGOS?

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    You know, as much as I agree with the idea of arming teachers, I really feel that we need to put resources into figuring out why these kids are acting out and how we can help them.

It's pretty sad that a society as advanced as ours can't work out these problems without resorting to weapons of last resort.

How about everyone figures out what is right and what is wrong and not act like fools. I grew up in awful areas with a single parent, You didn't see me acting like a damn thug and breaking laws for the fun of it, only to blame my upbringing,parent etc...

Even with bad parenting, there is no excuse for the types of behavior going on nowadays. YOU know what is right and what is wrong- Its up to you to choose to do the right things and make the right choices, Not act like a screw up and blame everything under the sun for all your bad choices...

end rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom