• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtb

May 24, 2011
    If the shield is on your list (single stack, 8rd) then the SIG P239 should be on your list too. I have both... the trigger is much nicer than the shield, as is the fit and finish, but the shield is much lighter weight and physically smaller (more comfortable for IWB carry).

I got the Apex kit for the shield and that makes it pretty nice but still nothing as good as the single action pull on the SIG. I don't like the grip angle on glocks, but that is personal preference.

If you don't like the manual safety on the shield just leave it off.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Not a fan of these uber small single stacks. They just don't work for me but they seem to be the new hot ticket. I wonder when Glock will jump on the band wagon?

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I would vote P229 or USPc/P2000.

I've personally gone from preferring striker-fired to hammer-fired with defensive triggers. As for defensive weapons, to me the USPc with LEM or Match Trigger and P229 with SRT or DAK are my two choices (and with Heinie Straight Eight Sights and nothing else) They are as small of size as I feel comfortable with and are the two guns I feel are offering a combination of the best size, with the best reliability & longevity, with the features that fit me best, that I am most proficient with shooting, cleaning, detail stripping, and repairing (with the USP being the model I am by far the most competent with).

Every class I have done has been with a compact, full-sized, or a combination of the two. When you go below compact, the smaller you go the harder it is to shoot the gun 1,000 or 2,000, or more times in the course of a few hours to a few days. The large majority of my practice is using compact or full-sized guns. I can shoot them accurately and fast in a variety of training situations and can clear the common jams very quickly, and so they are the defensive sizes I prefer as my probability of surviving an attack is much higher with them than something smaller...and I think that applies to many people so your list of compacts and subcompacts rather than smaller is IMO an excellent list and one of many great guns. My assumption of why so many LEOs choose to carry the G19/P229 sized-guns when they have smaller carry options is largely due to the performance issues smaller guns suffer, as mentioned below.

A lot of people go for subcompact and smaller than subcompact for carry due to size...IMHO, as you go below compact, you are suffering major performance tradeoffs. Once you go below subcompact, you are looking at a gun that is harder to fire accurately, harder to fire faster, very difficult to sight, difficult or impossible to clear a jam in a quick fashion, stupidly hard to shoot weak-handed or from a weak position, have significantly lower magazine capacity, may be shooting something below a .380 which is arguably the smallest 'people rounds' should go, and are shooting through a barrel in which hollow point ammunition may fail to penetrate deeply enough to hit vitals, may fail to expand as designed, or both. Having worked at a range for a little while, I would say 98% of people shooting microcompacts were unable to shoot the firearm in a fashion that would have a high probability of hitting the target in a consistent fashion that is needed to stop an assailant (i.e.: multiple, well-placed shots at center mass)...and this was a stationary slow-fire situation upon a paper target. Put all of the above in a stress-shooting situation that mimics an actual situation and the above deficiencies are amplified significantly.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I would vote P229 or USPc/P2000.

I've personally gone from preferring striker-fired to hammer-fired with defensive triggers. As for defensive weapons, to me the USPc with LEM or Match Trigger and P229 with SRT or DAK are my two choices (and with Heinie Straight Eight Sights and nothing else) They are as small of size as I feel comfortable with and are the two guns I feel are offering a combination of the best size, with the best reliability & longevity, with the features that fit me best, that I am most proficient with shooting, cleaning, detail stripping, and repairing (with the USP being the model I am by far the most competent with).

Every class I have done has been with a compact, full-sized, or a combination of the two. When you go below compact, the smaller you go the harder it is to shoot the gun 1,000 or 2,000, or more times in the course of a few hours to a few days. The large majority of my practice is using compact or full-sized guns. I can shoot them accurately and fast in a variety of training situations and can clear the common jams very quickly, and so they are the defensive sizes I prefer as my probability of surviving an attack is much higher with them than something smaller...and I think that applies to many people so your list of compacts and subcompacts rather than smaller is IMO an excellent list and one of many great guns. My assumption of why so many LEOs choose to carry the G19/P229 sized-guns when they have smaller carry options is largely due to the performance issues smaller guns suffer, as mentioned below.

A lot of people go for subcompact and smaller than subcompact for carry due to size...IMHO, as you go below compact, you are suffering major performance tradeoffs. Once you go below subcompact, you are looking at a gun that is harder to fire accurately, harder to fire faster, very difficult to sight, difficult or impossible to clear a jam in a quick fashion, stupidly hard to shoot weak-handed or from a weak position, have significantly lower magazine capacity, may be shooting something below a .380 which is arguably the smallest 'people rounds' should go, and are shooting through a barrel in which hollow point ammunition may fail to penetrate deeply enough to hit vitals, may fail to expand as designed, or both. Having worked at a range for a little while, I would say 98% of people shooting microcompacts were unable to shoot the firearm in a fashion that would have a high probability of hitting the target in a consistent fashion that is needed to stop an assailant (i.e.: multiple, well-placed shots at center mass)...and this was a stationary slow-fire situation upon a paper target. Put all of the above in a stress-shooting situation that mimics an actual situation and the above deficiencies are amplified significantly.
    Normally I would agree with just about everything you have said here. But, the weight of my off duty Glocks have discouraged me from carrying in the past. They are heavy, and require a cover shirt and still show to some extent. My LCP is comfortable to always carry in my pocket. Hell, you can even carry it in your PJ's if that's something you care to do. My point is, any gun no matter it's size or power, is always better than no go.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    It doesn't matter what someone else's favorite firearm is. The guns you've listed are all pretty good. Try to get hands-on with as many of them as possible, and get the one that you shoot best.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Smith & Wesson Shield in either 9mm or .40 S&W.

There is no need to use the thumb safety. It's small and does NOT have to be activated/used.

Find/get the Galco "Stinger" OWB holster, and you will be lovin' CCW life!!!
    With 165 grain JHP Federal HST ammo, this is one potent little pistol!

I REALLY like my Shield!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom