• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I tried buying lead off of ebay from two different sellers. One sends me an empty box that the lead busted out of because the box was thin junk and no one knows what state the lead is in. The other seller refunded my payment stating he ran out of ingots.

So, I want 10 pounds of ingots, who wants my money ? Make me a deal I can't refuse.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Can't help you with raw ingots but I know where several 5 gallon buckets of dirty lead is sitting. I told Jack the other day when he called looking for lead for you. It will take some work to clean/flux before it's usable for casting but the price is right.

Mdeng

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Can't help you with raw ingots but I know where several 5 gallon buckets of dirty lead is sitting. I told Jack the other day when he called looking for lead for you. It will take some work to clean/flux before it's usable for casting but the price is right.

Mdeng

LMAO ! Good ol' Jack. I've known him for almost 30 years now and that fella never ceases to amaze me with the people he knows in this world. Can I assume this is a come and get it deal ? He mentioned to me that he had spoken with someone about lead and the conversation was left hanging at the end. I talk to him every day of the week, but, we have not returned to that conversation. Any lead is good lead for my use, the problem has simply been getting my hands on something I can use. All it's for is shotshell slugs and muzzleloader bullets in sabots, it'll never touch the barrel.

What do I need to do in order to get my hands on some from you ? PM me with details would be great.

Side story - My wife stopped by the tire shop yesterday morning and got me a 10 pound box of wheel weights... out of 10 pounds I salvaged enough to not quite fill a tuna fish can.

Wheel weights are a complete waste of time and effort these days. 50% of the box was zinc, 20% was stickons, 20% was painted, 9% was too small to bother melting and that one 1% wast still too much to clean and make an ingot from. 25 years ago it was all Lead, not any more.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    I still like my tireshop source for WW. I agree the percentage of steel is getting higher but I take the time to sort, melt and flux and end up with some good lead for casting. Now that the weather is getting a bit colder I think a few melting/ingot sessions are in order. Gets me out in the fresh air. As long as I stay up wind of the pot. LOL. The shop I source from is switching to stickon. The good thing is the tear off from the long strip what they need and the rest go in my collection bucket and never see the road. I drop off donuts to say thanks. Nice bunch of guys there.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    How much is lead selling for locally? So. Central Md. I have a few pounds of clean lead.

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    lead

Lead is where you find it !
    Stick on WW not always bad,some are actually close to pure lead.
    Have you tried the local scrap/salvage yard ?

They buy at their price. Usually they sell for double,so you will pay maybe a buck a pound.
    They might not want to sell 10lbs,helps to be nice to guys there. Bring a box "o doughnuts or slip somebody a five spot.

Good thing is you can find good stuff sometimes. Linotype,clean plumber's lead and tin alloy solder.Sometimes you find another bullet caster's bullets or ingots !
    Got about 30lbs of 90% tin real clean solder at lead price once. Still adding it a bit at a time to our alloy !

Good luck !

www.bulletmen.com

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Lead is where you find it !
    Stick on WW not always bad,some are actually close to pure lead.
    Have you tried the local scrap/salvage yard ?

They buy at their price. Usually they sell for double,so you will pay maybe a buck a pound.
    They might not want to sell 10lbs,helps to be nice to guys there. Bring a box "o doughnuts or slip somebody a five spot.

Good thing is you can find good stuff sometimes. Linotype,clean plumber's lead and tin alloy solder.Sometimes you find another bullet caster's bullets or ingots !
    Got about 30lbs of 90% tin real clean solder at lead price once. Still adding it a bit at a time to our alloy !

Good luck !

www.bulletmen.com

Nice site. Prices look good too.

I have not been to the only metal recycler in the county (that I know of) Waldorf Metals, but, next time in that direction I do plan to stop in a see what the details are.

wbrett1027

Mar 20, 2011
    :D
    Nice site. Prices look good too.

I have not been to the only metal recycler in the county (that I know of) Waldorf Metals, but, next time in that direction I do plan to stop in a see what the details are.

i got a 40 pound lead block from work, it was a counter weight for a peice of equipment in the 80's..
    not to shabby

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Look for a plumbers supply, ask about lead. Check with local salvage yards. Stay aware of the current price of pure lead. Other websites. Roto Metals, etc. Lots of options out there.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Look for a plumbers supply, ask about lead. Check with local salvage yards. Stay aware of the current price of pure lead. Other websites. Roto Metals, etc. Lots of options out there.

PM reply sent. Thanks.

I have been given a few pounds from a very generous member here on MDS At this point in time I have plenty enough lead for my purposes and I appreciate the PM offers from everyone else as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom