• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Knew I had to have one as soon as I saw that they were being sold to the public. Modern surplus stuff doesn't come up very often, so I figured I better jump on it.

Picked it up on Gunbroker since I couldn't find any shops in MD that had one. I had to pay up for it, but not as terrible as some of the bidding wars on several that I was watching.

They appear to range in condition from scratched up pretty bad, to pristine. This one is in pretty good shape except for a couple very small scratches on the polymer frame and some sand/grit in the little nooks and crannies.

Come with a cool certificate of authenticity, an extra recoil spring for "standard pressure 9mm" (a +P pressure recoil spring is installed), the manual, 1 17-round magazine and 2 21-round magazines.

Haven't shot it yet. I definitely want to take it out and put some rounds through it, but it won't be a regular shooter. I'll get a commercial one if I end up liking it. It'll be neat to see where they end up collect-ability and price wise.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
      IMG_0478.jpg
      124.5 KB · Views: 882
    • IMG_0481.jpg
      IMG_0481.jpg
      109 KB · Views: 888
    • IMG_0487.jpg
      IMG_0487.jpg
      112.4 KB · Views: 848
    Jul 1, 2012
    They may not wind up having the collectability/value long-term that the decomm. USMC M45A1's will, but I bet they'll follow a similar trend once they start drying up, with prices shooting way up and then settling back down. Already seen it a bit. There's a private "forum" (or whatever you call it) over on the Book of Faces to document them, similar to what was done with the M45A1's. Might be interesting to track down where yours was issued and used.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    They may not wind up having the collectability/value long-term that the decomm. USMC M45A1's will, but I bet they'll follow a similar trend once they start drying up, with prices shooting way up and then settling back down. Already seen it a bit. There's a private "forum" (or whatever you call it) over on the Book of Faces to document them, similar to what was done with the M45A1's. Might be interesting to track down where yours was issued and used.

Interesting. Any chance you can send me a link to the group? Wouldn’t mind checking it out.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yours looks like it's in pretty good condition. Do you have any markings on the mag base plates?

No markings anywhere, pistol or mags. I saw a few with rack numbers on Gunbroker, but they were either too pricy, or weren’t in good shape.

I’d have liked to get one with a rack number, but I figured it’d be better to pick one in better condition.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Box is marked excellent but I’d call it very good. As mentioned above, there’s an FB group tracking SNs, prices, frame sizes, conditions, etc. Mine will join the commemorative in the safe. I have a commercial one for the range. Congratulations on snagging one.

Attachments

• 42542A01-490A-4B5B-8B64-43B47298E599.jpg
      42542A01-490A-4B5B-8B64-43B47298E599.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 778
    • 8398BF96-2FA1-499B-A0C5-87EB8B634B75.jpg
      8398BF96-2FA1-499B-A0C5-87EB8B634B75.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 771
    • 29CF0377-1AA1-4CCF-AB94-2CDE7F312EC9.jpg
      29CF0377-1AA1-4CCF-AB94-2CDE7F312EC9.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 769

ABN

ATW!
    Jan 20, 2020
    Baltimore
    Very nice. I saw a few brand new in stock at the PX on Bragg for $670 OTD. I’m still on the fence about getting that or 509 tactical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Congratulations, looks very nice. Do you plan on taking it to the range at all just to see how it shoots before you put it in your safe?

Cal68

Redcat

Curmudgeon
    Oct 4, 2008
    Severn, MD
    Why are brand new pistols being surplused?

They're not brand new, but Army returns of the initially fielded versions to SIG. Reading the articles, they likely didn't fully meet the contract specification. The articles say that the controls on these pistols are coyote vice the final versions black and there are probably other differences from the final spec.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/12/1...usly-fielded-military-surplus-m17-mhs-pistols

https://www.sigsauer.com/m17-surplus/

Last edited:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Congratulations, looks very nice. Do you plan on taking it to the range at all just to see how it shoots before you put it in your safe?

Cal68

Thanks! I’ll probably shoot it a little bit but I’m not going to shoot it all the time. If I want a regular shooter then I’ll probably end up getting one of the civilian P320-M17’s.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Thanks! I’ll probably shoot it a little bit but I’m not going to shoot it all the time. If I want a regular shooter then I’ll probably end up getting one of the civilian P320-M17’s.

Enjoy your new purchase. I bought a P320 from Engage about 3-4 years ago at their Black Friday sale and really like it a lot. I put a Trijicon RMR on it and very much enjoy shooting it at the range. I could easily see it being my CCW if I had such a permit here in MD!

Cal68

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks to the M17 Collector’s group on Facebook, I was able to find out which unit my M17 was issued to.

It says “0032 AR SQ 01 TRP B0 REAR DET”

I think it might be the 32nd Armored Cavalry, Squadron 1, but I’m not sure. Anybody know?

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I saw a couple at SOS in Louisville today, $2500 each.

Jul 1, 2012
    On pre98's table, by chance?
    he's been successfully selling them for that much off of the website for a few weeks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom