• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I was planning a Utah course this month.

Would this still be a good idea?

I see the General Assembly preempting an appeal decision with a law that makes MD a shall issue state but with a huge hurdle like an extensive/expensive training requirement.

Yes, the UT course has lots of good info about how to respond to various situations while carrying. That alone is a good reason to take the course. Plus there is no guarantees that any other state will recognize MD's permit.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It won't hurt to have the Utah permit; Maryland is unlikely to voluntarily enter into a reciprocity agreement with anyone.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I was thinking about this on the drive home and I'm actually somewhat surprised that Gansler & Co appealed this for a few reasons:

1. This ruling is fairly solid. It uses jurisprudence from the 4th and SCOTUS. These courts are not going to overturn their own recent decisions. So...why not take the hit now, save the money, and blame it on "an activist judge"? (No, I don't think Legg is an activist judge, but it's an excuse.) They save the money fighting it, they gain the money from permit fees, and they can blame any backlash on someone else. That would be pretty much win/win for them.

2. (I wasn't going to post this until after the announcement to appeal was actually made, but it already has been so I can't do any damage.) From a nation-wide damage control point of view, appealing this is very, very stupid for the antis. Right now, this ruling only applies to Maryland and it pretty much makes Maryland Shall Issue. It lays out clearly what can and cannot fly in terms of deciding who can get a carry permit. If Gansler & Co. appeal this all the way up to SCOTUS and we win (which we will), it will apply nationwide. Think about that for a moment. This ruling could very well render New York, California, and New Jersey "Shall Issue" as well as Maryland if we win at SCOTUS. I'm less familiar with how Massachusetts and Hawaii laws work. Sadly, I don't think this ruling would help Illinois or DC because they don't issue permits at all. This is a huge risk for the antis to take; they're basically betting their remaining "stronghold" states that they can beat this. Dumb.

Am I wrong here?

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Gansler has to appeal; he really has no choice.

The people he's working for are true believers, and they will fight for what they believe even if it means loosing.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    motivator1c63821344c946496b7e5036f3cf0ffaa3eb46a3.jpg

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    From a nation-wide damage control point of view, appealing this is very, very stupid for the antis. Right now, this ruling only applies to Maryland and it pretty much makes Maryland Shall Issue. It lays out clearly what can and cannot fly in terms of deciding who can get a carry permit. If Gansler & Co. appeal this all the way up to SCOTUS and we win (which we will), it will apply nationwide.
    All of the anti states told DC not to appeal Heller and just take the loss at the Circuit level, but noooo, they had to appeal to the Supreme Court. :innocent0

Don't forget about arrogance, to MD pols, our current system is the most reasonable one in the nation and thus must be defended, everyone else be damned.

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    Finally caught up, for the next 30 seconds until someone else posts...

Could someone very involved in the subject (you know who you are!) please give some guidance on whether it makes more sense to apply or wait for the appeal? Or is this something we can expect in the near future? I see a lot of ideas being thrown around, but unfortunately, I'm not sure who's opinion I should put more stock in!

Also, can we expect any open holster rallies or anything of the sort, hopefully on a weekend so that I can finally attend and meet some of you all?

Thanks again to everyone!!

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    All of the anti states told DC not to appeal Heller and just take the loss at the Circuit level, but noooo, they had to appeal to the Supreme Court. :innocent0

Don't forget about arrogance, to MD pols, our current system is the most reasonable one in the nation and thus must be defended, everyone else be damned.

I'm torn, then, as to what they should do. Appeal it for the good of everyone else (because they will lose ultimately), or shut it down hard as a win for us.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Sadly, I don't think this ruling would help Illinois or DC because they don't issue permits at all. This is a huge risk for the antis to take; they're basically betting their remaining "stronghold" states that they can beat this. Dumb.

Am I wrong here?

I beg to differ. According to Judge Legg's ruling, he explicitly states that self-defense does not end at the doorstep.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Finally caught up, for the next 30 seconds until someone else posts...

Could someone very involved in the subject (you know who you are!) please give some guidance on whether it makes more sense to apply or wait for the appeal? Or is this something we can expect in the near future? I see a lot of ideas being thrown around, but unfortunately, I'm not sure who's opinion I should put more stock in!

Also, can we expect any open holster rallies or anything of the sort, hopefully on a weekend so that I can finally attend and meet some of you all?

Thanks again to everyone!!

I'm not the person your referring to; although I did take several college law classes. :)

Seriously though; expect to see some stuff from MSI within the next day or two.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    I for one am applying in the morning. From what I understand, the clause in the law is CURRENTLY null and void. An appeal by the state with a request to stay, whether it is filed yet or not makes no difference since none of it has yet to be granted. If the stay is granted, fine. I will make my case to the permit board. If the stay is not granted then I am ahead of the game.

my .02

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I for one am applying in the morning. From what I understand, the clause in the law is CURRENTLY null and void. An appeal by the state with a request to stay, whether it is filed yet or not makes no difference since none of it has yet to be granted. If the stay is granted, fine. I will make my case to the permit board. If the stay is not granted then I am ahead of the game.

my .02

As long as you can pass the objective criteria; and your not taking rent money or food money, good luck :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom