Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle

Notices

Old October 17th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #1
clandestine
AR15 Technical Instructor

Post Why I dislike, wont own, or work on Gas Piston AR15's

I get this question often via Private Message, at the Shooting Range, and when I was a Gunsmith.

Here are my views & experience as a reference, and point of discussion.

GAS PISTON AR15 CONS

-Gas Piston AR's are often MORE Expensive than a properly setup Direct Impingement AR15.

-Gas Piston AR's exhibit Carrier Tilt which is may be combated with flared Carriers, Receiver Extensions with a shelf, and Buffers that lock into the Carrier.

-Gas Piston AR's use Proprietary Parts, and there is no "Industry Standard", thus parts between Manufacturers are not compatible. If you own a Gas Piston AR and the Manufacturer goes out of business or discontinues production of your Gas Piston, you will pay a TON for scarce parts. Here are the Parts that may differ from Manufacturer to Manufacturer:
Gas Manifolds
Pistons
Piston Return Spring Assembly
Carriers
Hand Guard/Rail Systems
Cam Pins
Upper Receivers/Bushings
Barrel Port Location/Barrels
Receiver Extensions
Buffers
(Direct Impingement AR Parts are standardized with exception to Large Pin Colt AR15's) and Parts are available everywhere.)

-Gas Piston AR's may throw more crud on Optics than Direct Impingement AR's.

-Gas Piston AR's have limited Rail Options.

-Gas Piston AR's more Reciprocating Mass which can be perceived as recoiling more than a Direct Impingement AR.

-Gas Piston AR's do not Suppress better than compared to Direct Impingement AR. Gas Piston AR's are generally LOUDER than a Direct Impingement AR when Suppressed.

-Gas Piston AR owners often thinks that less or no lube advice is best. No Lube or Light Lube is never better, even for an AK.

-Carbine Length Gas Piston AR's unlock faster than a Carbine Direct Impingement AR. This will lead to extraction problems.
(The Direct Impingement Gas Tube works like an expansion chamber and "buffers" or "delays" the the gas pressure from unlocking the Direct Impingement AR15 Bolt Carrier Group)

My experience with Gas Piston AR's has shown me that they are less reliable than D.I. AR's.

Here is a similar perspective from a place that likely puts more rounds downrange than 99.999% of shooters.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-rental-range/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Las Vegas Shooting Range
– We no longer use ANY piston conversions or factory pistons guns with the exception of the HK-416 “knock-off” TDI upper. I purchased a FACTORY brand-new MR556 and it started keyholing after only 10,000 rounds. I was SO pissed because I spent all that money on the gun and it couldn’t last 10,000 rounds. I had barrels from before we even opened the range with 1,000’s of rounds on them from J&T Distributing (chrome-lined) that didn’t keyhole well into the 80,000-100,000 range. I don’t know who makes or made the J&T barrels but I was so pissed that actually wasted the money on a MR556 and that’s all I got from it. I purchased two of the 14.5″ TDI knock-offs approximately 6-8 weeks ago and they have been on the line daily with ZERO issues. I only purchased them because people will come in specifically request the “416” and even they’ve never handled a weapon their entire lives, they KNOW that the top half isn’t the “416 like in COD/MW”.

GAS PISTON AR15 PROS
-Can be fired whithout Draining the Gas System and is less sensitive to high altitude pressure changes.

-Run SLIGHTLY cooler (makes no difference with good lubricant)

My experience has shown me that Piston AR's are a Solution looking for a problem. If Gas Piston AR's were significantly "better" they would replace the Direct Impingement with the U.S. Armed Forces. Gas Piston AR's do excel for water operations such as with Group like U.S. Navy S.E.A.L.'s.

Gas Piston AR's are popular because people have bought the sales pitch about Direct Impingement AR15 being unreliable, or have just believed the marketing. The people who often give the D.I. system bad raps are those looking to sell you something, or feel validated by the Gas Piston AR purchase they made.

I don't allow Gas Piston AR's in my Armorers Class because of the differences in Manufacturers, not because I want to punish their owners. My testing procedures and gauges are not always compatible so they are not permitted.

A good Direct Impingement AR is one of the most reliable firearms made, and just as reliable as an AK. My experience has shown me that Gas Piston AR's are no more reliable than a Direct Impingement AR.

In my opinion, AR15 Piston Rifles are like Corinthian Leather. Made up for people who don't know better.

Chad

Last edited by clandestine; October 18th, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #2
MigraineMan

Corinthian leather ... manufactured in Newark, New Jersey.
Attached Images

MigraineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #3
teratos
My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
In my opinion, AR15 Piston Rifles are like Corinthian Leather. Made up for people who don't know better. Chad
Damn. Now I have to return those Corinthian Leather assless chaps I got you for x-mas.

MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #4
rdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
Damn. Now I have to return those Corinthian Leather assless chaps I got you for x-mas.
Goddammit all chaps are assless. It's redundant. Like ATM machine or VIN number.

Old October 17th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #5
teratos
My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc View Post
Goddammit all chaps are assless. It's redundant. Like ATM machine or VIN number.
Chap-nazi.

We've been through this before. I think it's funnier to say assless chaps than just "chaps".

MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #6
rdc

Quote:
Chap-nazi.

We've been through this before. I think it's funnier to say assless chaps than just "chaps".
You're right. It is way funnier.

Old October 17th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #7
MigraineMan

Quote:
Chap-nazi.

Maybe he's never seen the "peek a boo" chaps ...
MigraineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #8
truknbear
Right to arm Bears

Well since Corinthian arseless chaps don't fit the bill, how about in naugahyde (it does come from the naugabeast) ?

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately ~ Benjamin Franklin
truknbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #9
Sgt. Psycho

Only on MDS can Chad pour his heart and soul out about the evils of gas piston ARs, and all anyone gets from the article is an admonition not to buy Corinthian leather assless chaps.

I agree about the gas piston ARs Chad, but I don't really want to know about your current taste in assless fashion accessories.

Sgt. Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2015, 10:28 PM   #10
clandestine
AR15 Technical Instructor

Quote:
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle