• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    Homeowners affected by the new Smoke Alarm Law have until January 1, 2018 to upgrade alarms.
    Immediate replacement/upgrade is required when any of the following events or situations occur:
    Smoke alarm coverage in older homes constructed prior to January 1, 1989, must be upgraded to at least one approved smoke alarm on every level of the older home when any one of the following first occur:
    A. Theexistingsmokealarmismorethantenyearsold. B. Theexistingsmokealarmfailstorespondorotherwise
    malfunctions.
    C. Thereisachangeoftenant.
    D. Abuildingpermitisissuedforanadditionorrenovation. E. January1,2018attheabsolutelatest.

To achieve the upgraded smoke alarm coverage noted above, smoke alarms shall be hard-wired units except that sealed battery-operated smoke alarms with long- life batteries and silence/hush button features may be installed in locations of the home where hard-wired smoke alarms did not previously exist.
    Maryland’s Smoke Alarm Law requires the replacement of all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old. This applies to both hard-wired and battery-operated smoke alarms.
    Maryland’s new Smoke Alarm Law requires the replacement of smoke alarms when they are ten years old (ten years from the date of manufacture). This replacement requirement is already in the adopted State Fire Code, reference to the 2007 version of the NFPA 72

National Fire Alarm Code (Chapter 10.4.7) which was the first to specify that no “household” smoke alarm (battery or AC) shall be kept in service for any longer than 10 years from its date of manufacture.
    Earlier versions of this Code had directed consumers to follow manufacturer recommendations. The Maryland State legislation now mirrors the code requirement that has been in place for six years. It was determined that including this wording again in State Law would effectively re-publicize the existing “10 Year” replacement requirement for residential smoke alarms and result in the widespread replacement of older, nonfunctioning or unreliable smoke alarms.
    The date of manufacture, while sometimes hard to locate, should be printed on the back of smoke alarms. If no manufacture date can be located, the alarm is likely outdated and should be replaced to comply with the regulation.

Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    Not true.... hard-wired units also require changing under revised law from the Maryland Legislature in December 2017

Pittbull

Jan 28, 2013
    I found the best explanation for the recently revised Maryland Smoke Detector law on the Montgomery County Government website. It not only explains what the new smoke detector requirements are, but it so explains why the law was recently changed in order to meet Federal law on smoke detectors. Read it carefully because it has many facets and it can be confusing. Hope this helps!

Visit: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/MCFRS/Resources/Files/misc/Smoke_Alarm_Law_101.pdf

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Not true.... hard-wired units also require changing under revised law from the Maryland Legislature in December 2017

That is my understanding. The only difference is that the hardwired units are not required to be the sealed long life type and can still use 9V backup. The units without AC connection must be long life detectors.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Was in Sam's Club (Annapolis) last night and they were completely sold out.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    This reminds me that I need to replace one of my smoke detectors. It started going off for no reason one night. I tried taking it apart to remove the battery but couldn't figure it out so I threw it against the wall as hard as I could.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Mine are only a few years old. I think I'll add a few to other areas of the house, in addition to the new ones in the required areas. I mean, is everyone just trashing them?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ace have a sale till the end of the month for $9.99.. hardwire with battery backup.. got two and replaced the old ones that believe to have been installed when the house was built in the late 80s..

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Product Information
    Description - 
    •Hardwired ionization smoke and carbon monoxide alarm in 1 unit
    •Electrochemical carbon monoxide sensor - the most accurate sensor available as compared to other sensing technologies
    •10-year battery backup provides consistent protection for added safety during power outages
    •Intelligent sensing technology reduces nuisance alarms
    •Latching alarm indicator remembers which unit initiated an alarm
    •Perfect mount - allows for easy alignment of alarm
    •Single button test/silence helps to ensure your alarm is working properly
    7-year limited warranty

Picked up a hard wired/battery backup Smoke/CO2 detector from Lowes, splurged on the CO2 version for the basement where the furnace and water heater are.

(https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Aler...xide-Detector-with-Battery-Back-Up/1000224653).

$60 and even though it claims a 10 year life, it is only warranted for 7 years. Gott'a read the fine print... :deal:

Only need a few more to come up to code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom