Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2019, 04:09 PM #11
Qbeam's Avatar
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,055
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
Qbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,055
Are you shooting from an elevated position?


Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:21 PM #12
kooJoe's Avatar
kooJoe kooJoe is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: near cambridge
Posts: 6
kooJoe kooJoe is offline
Junior Member
kooJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: near cambridge
Posts: 6
Hey guys, thank you all for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. Forgive me for taking this long to respond, it was a rough Monday at work.
Anyhow, i have reviewed all of my input variables. They all look good to me.

I must stress that I have 100% confidence in the solutions that the app gives me (while inputting my fake zero). I am just hell bent on figuring out why i have to cheat the program.

Let me share additional details;
1:12 twist, .308, 155gn Hornady ELD Match, g7 BC .232, average mv of 2813 (5 shots) zeroing weather 37 degrees, pressure 30.6, humidity 38%, altitude 39', shooting north to south, zero shooting angle to target, following drops recorded on same day of zeroing.... TRUE bullet drops; 200 yd zero (all bullet holes touching), 400 yd drop of 4.5MOA , 600 yd drop of 11.5 MOA, 1000 yd drop of 34.5MOA....... Strelok program using 200 yard zero and all variables mentioned above calls for 5.5MOA for 400 (hit 1MOA high), 13MOA for 600 (hit 1.5MOA high), and 35.5MOA at 1000 (hit 1MOA high).

The next decent day of shooting, I am going to get back to basics. Double check that the scope is tracking true on elevation, then shoot box at various distances confirming drops..... I need to be careful not to mind f*%k myself on this. Thank you guys!
kooJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:48 PM #13
Qbeam's Avatar
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,055
Qbeam Qbeam is offline
Senior Member
Qbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooJoe View Post
Hey guys, thank you all for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. Forgive me for taking this long to respond, it was a rough Monday at work.
Anyhow, i have reviewed all of my input variables. They all look good to me.

I must stress that I have 100% confidence in the solutions that the app gives me (while inputting my fake zero). I am just hell bent on figuring out why i have to cheat the program.

Let me share additional details;
1:12 twist, .308, 155gn Hornady ELD Match, g7 BC .232, average mv of 2813 (5 shots) zeroing weather 37 degrees, pressure 30.6, humidity 38%, altitude 39', shooting north to south, zero shooting angle to target, following drops recorded on same day of zeroing.... TRUE bullet drops; 200 yd zero (all bullet holes touching), 400 yd drop of 4.5MOA , 600 yd drop of 11.5 MOA, 1000 yd drop of 34.5MOA....... Strelok program using 200 yard zero and all variables mentioned above calls for 5.5MOA for 400 (hit 1MOA high), 13MOA for 600 (hit 1.5MOA high), and 35.5MOA at 1000 (hit 1MOA high).

The next decent day of shooting, I am going to get back to basics. Double check that the scope is tracking true on elevation, then shoot box at various distances confirming drops..... I need to be careful not to mind f*%k myself on this. Thank you guys!

This is using the cartridge from the cartridge database, and adjusting the other variables?


Q
Qbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:13 AM #14
ToolAA's Avatar
ToolAA ToolAA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ellicott City
Posts: 3,358
ToolAA ToolAA is offline
Senior Member
ToolAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ellicott City
Posts: 3,358
I just ran your data in Ballistic AE and the results are very close to Strelock.

__________________
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 08:51 AM #15
danb's Avatar
danb danb is offline
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 16,919
danb danb is offline
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 16,919
When I use the given data in post #12 in shooterscalculator: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...+Create+Chart+

I get closer to the true drop. But I used a 2.5" scope height. About .75 MOA off at 400 yds , 1 MOA at 600, and 1000 yards is spot on. I dont see where you listed your scope height. Small changes in measurements like in scope height of .25 will change the 600 yd by about .15 MOA and add up. Also, small changes in shooting angle are going to matter too. The weather (relative humidity, pressure, etc,) 600 yds downrange may not be the same as at your ear.

These ballistic calculators should only be considered approximations. Solving the aerodynamic equations is very complicated - and there are a lot of approximations that add up.

I would not substitute the calculator for real world experience. These are not as accurate as people think that they are. I think that the good news is that it looks to me as though you are off about 1-1.5 MOA at 600 yds, which is about 6x better than most people can even shoot at 100yds on a good day.

I think your rifles accuracy is way beyond the ability of an inexpensive ballistics program. In fact, your rifle has the kind of accuracy they use to calibrate ballistics programs.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:34 PM #16
jcutonilli jcutonilli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 647
jcutonilli jcutonilli is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooJoe View Post
Hey guys, thank you all for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. Forgive me for taking this long to respond, it was a rough Monday at work.
Anyhow, i have reviewed all of my input variables. They all look good to me.

I must stress that I have 100% confidence in the solutions that the app gives me (while inputting my fake zero). I am just hell bent on figuring out why i have to cheat the program.

Let me share additional details;
1:12 twist, .308, 155gn Hornady ELD Match, g7 BC .232, average mv of 2813 (5 shots) zeroing weather 37 degrees, pressure 30.6, humidity 38%, altitude 39', shooting north to south, zero shooting angle to target, following drops recorded on same day of zeroing.... TRUE bullet drops; 200 yd zero (all bullet holes touching), 400 yd drop of 4.5MOA , 600 yd drop of 11.5 MOA, 1000 yd drop of 34.5MOA....... Strelok program using 200 yard zero and all variables mentioned above calls for 5.5MOA for 400 (hit 1MOA high), 13MOA for 600 (hit 1.5MOA high), and 35.5MOA at 1000 (hit 1MOA high).

The next decent day of shooting, I am going to get back to basics. Double check that the scope is tracking true on elevation, then shoot box at various distances confirming drops..... I need to be careful not to mind f*%k myself on this. Thank you guys!
You do not specify what your sight height is and do not account for the fact that you have a 20 MOA base. The base creates a different angle, which is not accounted for.
jcutonilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:30 PM #17
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17,437
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17,437
Base angle makes no difference. It just puts the zero point at a different part of the adjustment range.

The sight height is a VERY important measurement to get right.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:32 PM #18
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 4,486
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Base angle makes no difference. It just puts the zero point at a different part of the adjustment range.

The sight height is a VERY important measurement to get right.
This... I'm betting its scope height above bore issue.
Speed3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 05:38 PM #19
davsco's Avatar
davsco davsco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Loudoun, VA
Posts: 5,321
Images: 4
davsco davsco is offline
Senior Member
davsco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Loudoun, VA
Posts: 5,321
Images: 4
in my one program, going from 1.5 scope height to 2.5 changed 1000 yd poi by one moa.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 09:05 PM #20
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 4,486
Speed3 Speed3 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsco View Post
in my one program, going from 1.5 scope height to 2.5 changed 1000 yd poi by one moa.
Which is about what he is off at each distance. Now im not sure that his scope height is off a full inch though, that would be huge. Has to be something else going on
Speed3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service