Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle

Notices

Old March 1st, 2018, 11:35 AM   #111
clandestine
AR15 Technical Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to clandestine
Glad it's working out my friend.

School of the American Rifle Website

School of the American Rifle on Instagram
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:11 PM   #112
Zzzzz_man
Удачи!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Glad it's working out my friend.
It's all you, brother. My indifference towards the AR platform had lasted for decades and when I was on active duty, I always preferred the rifles some of allies were using over the M-16, namely,

1) FN-FAL used by the Brits and other NATO allies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL

2) HK G3 (HK 91) used by the Germans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G3

3) Valmet M76 used by the Finns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_M76

Everyone was still running .30 caliber rifles except us and it was bothersome. Plus, their guns were a helluva lot more accurate and packed a greater wallop at long range than our M-16's did. About the only things our M-16's had going for them were a couple pounds less weight and the ability to carry x2 ammo but not much beyond that. That's why we still used match grade M-14's for all NATO-sanctioned rifle competitions during the late 70's/early 80's. It would've been difficult for us to compete against those HK's and FN's otherwise.

My favorite, though, was the Valmet. It was everything the AK-47 wanted to be but Kalashnikov couldn't/wouldn't duplicate. Those crazy Finns figured out a way to make an AK variant that could not only shoot with match grade precision, it had the best iron sights I've ever seen on any battle rifle. Basically, it was an AK built by the same folks who made Sako rifles. Need I say more? I wish they were still for sale in the USA. I had the chance to buy one made in 7.62x51 back in 1983 and I still regret passing it up.

Started hangin-out with some MDS'ers a couple of years ago and had the opportunity to shoot their SOTAR builds and it totally changed my opinion about how great an AR could be if it was built correctly. To say that I'm a little proud to own one myself would be putting it mildly.

Thank you again!
Zzzzz_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 10:26 PM   #113
clandestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz_man View Post
It's all you, brother. My indifference towards the AR platform had lasted for decades and when I was on active duty, I always preferred the rifles some of allies were using over the M-16, namely,

1) FN-FAL used by the Brits and other NATO allies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL

2) HK G3 (HK 91) used by the Germans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G3

3) Valmet M76 used by the Finns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_M76

Everyone was still running .30 caliber rifles except us and it was bothersome. Plus, their guns were a helluva lot more accurate and packed a greater wallop at long range than our M-16's did. About the only things our M-16's had going for them were a couple pounds less weight and the ability to carry x2 ammo but not much beyond that. That's why we still used match grade M-14's for all NATO-sanctioned rifle competitions during the late 70's/early 80's. It would've been difficult for us to compete against those HK's and FN's otherwise.

My favorite, though, was the Valmet. It was everything the AK-47 wanted to be but Kalashnikov couldn't/wouldn't duplicate. Those crazy Finns figured out a way to make an AK variant that could not only shoot with match grade precision, it had the best iron sights I've ever seen on any battle rifle. Basically, it was an AK built by the same folks who made Sako rifles. Need I say more? I wish they were still for sale in the USA. I had the chance to buy one made in 7.62x51 back in 1983 and I still regret passing it up.

Started hangin-out with some MDS'ers a couple of years ago and had the opportunity to shoot their SOTAR builds and it totally changed my opinion about how great an AR could be if it was built correctly. To say that I'm a little proud to own one myself would be putting it mildly.

Thank you again!
I appreciate the perspective my friend.

I too was once resistant to the AR for many years. I preferred AK' s and the like, till I started working on them in large #'s.

About the only improvements you can make to that rig is a more accurate barrel, and a Geissele or LaRue Trigger.

The trigger in yours is one of the best Milspec Triggers though.

Old July 25th, 2018, 01:55 PM   #114
clandestine

Bump for new reviews

Old August 10th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #115
05dodgedaytona

I was finally able to take one of Chad's build classes a few weeks ago. All I can say is WOW. His classes are top notch and full of information. I learned a lot from him and know I could learn a lot more. My build was a .300 Blackout. It went together pretty easy with only a few things needing to be addressed. If anyone is on the fence about this class you need to take it. It was well worth it. I finally was able to get it out to the range today and it ran flawlessly. I couldn't be happier with the build. Thanks Chad!
Attached Images

NRA Member
MSI Member
Maryland Designated Collector
C&R FFL
05dodgedaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:04 PM   #116
babalou

ok. I took another Build class administered by the one and only Chad. This was my fist time at his new location in BF Elkton I texted Outrider and asked if he would be willing to ride up on 2/10/19 like at 6:00AM. Thelma and Louise ride again!! Hahaha. We got to the class and I met Knovotny, her hubby R3 I believe is his screen name, a gentleman from Solomon Island- Ernest? and George. Nice people, indeed. Knovotny and her husband were hilarious and played off each other. Hey, I still have the red buffer weight I took my Witt Machine 300 integral suppressed upper to finish building.

I want to tell you that Chad's new digs is beautiful. Beautiful setup and a lot of new toys. His student setup is awesome. The class had a lot of things done to the student rifles that were totally different than other classes from Chad. he used his lathe, a crown tool, gas port modifications, and a whole lot more. Just watching him in action is like watching an excellent musician where the instrument is just an extension of the person. I really enjoyed watching a master at work. I will post a pic of my completed rifle in the AR-15 pic thread, as well as here later.

I am proud to call Chad friend. He is a kick ass number one rated gunsmith willing to happily share his infinite knowledge and wisdom.

You really need to take one of his classes. As Outrider, whom I also call friend, as well said before... these will not be around forever. Chad has a lot going on and the fact that he is willing to still do this for us is remarkable. Do not ever be afraid of any manufacturer parts you want to take. He will make it the best it can be.

Just do it!!

He also found stuff on my upper like a new type of schnit gas key screws he had never seen. Everyone looked them up and found they were from China. Well, off they went for his wall of shame. Hahahahaha. He did find that Witt did some cool stuff with the baffling and that the barrel looked to be match grade like. Goodnuff for me.

Thank you for for SOTAR!!!!
babalou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 06:34 AM   #117
S.M.I.B

It was a great class. I learned much more than I thought I could in just one day. No doubt I am going to be taking another class when I can get Chad's schedule and mine to line up again. I am a bit of an introvert but everyone in the class was really helpful and made for a great working atmosphere.
S.M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 02:26 PM   #118
Art3
Eqinsu Ocha

I'm surprised Katie hasn't posted pictures of her pretty rifle yet.

This was some of the best edutainment we've ever had. We already know we have to take the Armorer's class now, and have discussed taking this one again.

Lord Chad definitely lived up to all the good things about his reputation.

Katie asked what gauges and tools I am going to buy for us first
Fortunately, we also learned about a few things we can check on our other rifles that don't require any extra equipment...just have to find out where I can buy those "quarters" things.

As an added bonus, we got to put more faces to MDS names

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 08:47 PM   #119
knovotny

This was an absolutely fabulous class! I learned so much that I now have a small inkling of how much I don't know yet. I can't wait to do it again! Chad got an issue with my barrel sorted, and it was so interesting to see the little issues with others rifles, and the fix.

Everyone in the class was fantastic and it was great to meet some folks in person.
knovotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #120
clandestine

It was a pleasure having you all at the build class. Thank you for the glowing reviews. I really appreciate you trusting me to teach you.

The more I teach the more I realize how important this work is.

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle