CMP Rack Grade Special Winchester M1 for $700; Is this a Deal or What?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This sounds like a good deal to me; is there a down side?

"CMP Special Rack Grade (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a partially refurbished rifle with a refinished M1 WRA receiver, new production criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. "

"Receiver will have heavy pitting above the wood line."

Pitting / shmitting! Who cares? It's been refinished and it's got a new Criterion barrel.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    I recently handled one but with a SA receiver. As described, the receiver is pitted but re-parked. With the new barrel and tight new stock it should make a great shooter.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I recently handled one but with a SA receiver. As described, the receiver is pitted but re-parked. With the new barrel and tight new stock it should make a great shooter.

Yes. Last few gun shows I have been to I was hard pressed to find a Garand for $700; and those that were less than $1000 looked like a beater. Not to mention I don't see a lot of Winchesters or IHC's compared to HRA or SA. Ok - so not a "correct" collectible; but should be a lot of fun.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    While not the prettiest, they're still solid and can go to the dance. If I could, I would get one.

Q

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    While not the prettiest, they're still solid and can go to the dance. If I could, I would get one.

Q

Not the prettiest - true enough. But the service grade Winchester specials were selling for $1250!! For a $550 discount I think I can overlook some receiver pitting, esp. if the receiver has been refinished.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Bes

Best shooter I have is a special field. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a Winchester though. The best Garands I've had are H&Rs.

The Criterion barrels are superb.

The replacements stocks are very meh.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Some of those RGS receivers are very ugly and some look quite nice. At least one guy on CMP Forums got one with rounded rear sight serrations, but CMP said they're swapping it out.

The new production stocks can generally be tuned to shoot accurately, but there are some terrible ones too. I know two people who bought regular Specials with new production stocks that have too little wood on the receiver bedding surfaces. The whole receiver just kind of floats on the stock and locking down the trigger guard provides no compression.

As mentioned, the rest of the parts are Rack Grade and are not refinished. You could potentially get stuff like out of spec op rods or very heavy pitting on the op rod or trigger housing, but I haven't yet heard of an op rod not working on one of those.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    If I was buying one to shoot, I'd be onboard due to the new barrel and CMP standing behind it. I have sent back 2 Garands and CMP took care of the issues and shipped back for free. I only paid shipping to CMP on the second one that I'd had beyond a year when I started shooting it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As mentioned, the rest of the parts are Rack Grade and are not refinished. You could potentially get stuff like out of spec op rods or very heavy pitting on the op rod or trigger housing, but I haven't yet heard of an op rod not working on one of those.

Hmm - I am glad you reminded me of that:

"Remainder of the other parts have NOT been refinished."

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It is tempting for me. I want a deer rifle/shooter. I have a service grade with a new wood stock. I’d rather one I don’t mind bumping around the woods some. I just don’t have the money or spousal patients. Maybe next year if they still have any.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    It is tempting for me. I want a deer rifle/shooter. I have a service grade with a new wood stock. I’d rather one I don’t mind bumping around the woods some. I just don’t have the money or spousal patients. Maybe next year if they still have any.

If your looking for a good deer rifle in that price range ($700) you could do better than an M1.
    I would suggest a Ruger American in 30-06 or 308. I have 4 of them in different calibers (223,243,30-06, & 6.5 CM), I put on relatively cheap scopes, under $250, and every one of them is damn near a tack driver with no mods needed. While I would like a nice walnut stock, I really have no complaints against any of them.
    While I love my Garands for their history and reach, if you want an accurate hunting rifle, and who doesn't, their level of MOA doesn't really compare to most modern hunting rifles.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    If your looking for a good deer rifle in that price range ($700) you could do better than an M1.
    I would suggest a Ruger American in 30-06 or 308. I have 4 of them in different calibers (223,243,30-06, & 6.5 CM), I put on relatively cheap scopes, under $250, and every one of them is damn near a tack driver with no mods needed. While I would like a nice walnut stock, I really have no complaints against any of them.
    While I love my Garands for their history and reach, if you want an accurate hunting rifle, and who doesn't, their level of MOA doesn't really compare to most modern hunting rifles.

They are also really freaking heavy. I don't want to carry one around in the woods.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I've got deer rifles. I want an M1 specifically that I wouldn't mind bumping around in deer woods for hunting deer. I borrowed a neighbor's M1 once when we went hunting together. Yeah, heavy as heck and I regretted it by the end of the day, but I also ended up hiking probably 10 miles that day. I would not carry one again if I was doing that kind of hunting. But IMHO not bad for flat and shorter hikes.

Not something I'd do often, but there are nuts who hunt with flintlock rifles and traditional sights, for the challenge.

A bit of a beater M1 that isn't in terrible shape, that shoots well would fit the bill. Plus having a 2nd M1 is like having a side piece where both CAN know about each other.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you are set on an M1 for hunting deer, you may want to look for a "Tanker" version in .308.
    It would weigh a little less.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you are set on an M1 for hunting deer, you may want to look for a "Tanker" version in .308.
    It would weigh a little less.

While that is true, it is a very uncommon rifle that brings a premium. I highly doubt he will find one that is $700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom