• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Back then the rifles were made to last through generations of soldiers...receive use, abuse and regular rebuilds. There was also little idea how long a standard issue rifle would remain standard issue before being replaced by something else.

Basically these firearms were made by old school craftsmen and made better than they had to be for the purpose...not throwaway like so many products today.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have a R.F. Sedgley, in 30-06, that was built on an early Springfield action. I was my first centerfire rifle, so I have owned it for over 40 years. They were semi-custom rifles, built in the years between WW1 & WW2, using Winchester barrels.
    I have shot at least 1,000 rounds thru it, mostly surplus WW2 ball, Factory loads and hand loads, never anything too hot. I have never seen a case failure or any sign of weakness in the action. I also have another Sedgley, built on a Springfield action, but chambered in 7X57, with a Mannlicher stock, I have only shot it about 20 times.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/2/7/i-have-this-old-gun-sedgley-springfield-sporter/

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831947677

tinydata

Jul 29, 2011
    Potomac
    Back then the rifles were made to last through generations of soldiers...receive use, abuse and regular rebuilds. There was also little idea how long a standard issue rifle would remain standard issue before being replaced by something else.

Basically these firearms were made by old school craftsmen and made better than they had to be for the purpose...not throwaway like so many products today.

From a logistical perspective, it's wasteful to pour so much devotion into a service rifle. The simplified Remington 03s were every bit as serviceable as their nicer predecessors but could be produced more quickly, wore down less machinery, and cost less money.

The 03 had its day, but times moved on. The M16 family has served longer than the 03 did as a service rifle and they have proven that they are tough. The Air Force is still running rebuilds built off of Colt 601 lowers.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    No argument. I actually prefer the 1903A3 over the 1903...the sights are far better for most all uses...well, maybe not true target work but I prefer the peep sight regardless. I will say if you look at an original 1903 that's never been rebuilt the craftsmanship is incredible...just not necessary for a combat rifle. I have about a dozen 1903 rifles of several types and makers...1903, 1903 Mark I, original 1903A1, but most are '03A3 rifles...and I prefer Smith-Corona examples as I feel they're more interesting than Remingtons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom