• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Any experience with the FNAR?

Besides the fact that it's uglier than Frosh's mustache, I have heard its tricky to disassemble and clean? And find parts?

I've heard all that. I shot one before I bought my M1A. I was looking for alternatives if I was not able to find a M1A prior to 10/1/2013.

I know that list price is WAY high. They go for $950-1000 whenever I have seen one. And on Gunbroker.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Any experience with the FNAR?

Besides the fact that it's uglier than Frosh's mustache, I have heard its tricky to disassemble and clean? And find parts?

I've had an FNAR for a few months now. I've only cleaned it once, and it was a pain; but I was able to find a pretty helpful YouTube video to guide me through it. It was not daunting enough a task that I would let that steer you away from the gun. I'm sure subsequent cleanings will be much easier.

Mags, on the other hand, are difficult to find and expensive. I managed to find some "standard" capacity mags in DE for a steal. Guy said he has been sitting on them for years and wanted them gone. :party29:

Still looking for a 5-rounder or two if I ever want to take the gun hunting. :sad20:

Not to change the subject of the thread, but does anyone know offhand if mags/parts are interchangeable between the BAR and FNAR?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not to change the subject of the thread, but does anyone know offhand if mags/parts are interchangeable between the BAR and FNAR?

If you're talking about the BAR hunting rifle, yes. It is based off of it. However, it has nothing to do with the M1918 BAR.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I've had an FNAR for a few months now. I've only cleaned it once, and it was a pain; but I was able to find a pretty helpful YouTube video to guide me through it. It was not daunting enough a task that I would let that steer you away from the gun. I'm sure subsequent cleanings will be much easier.

Mags, on the other hand, are difficult to find and expensive. I managed to find some "standard" capacity mags in DE for a steal. Guy said he has been sitting on them for years and wanted them gone. :party29:

Still looking for a 5-rounder or two if I ever want to take the gun hunting. :sad20:

If you're talking about the BAR hunting rifle, yes. It is based off of it. However, it has nothing to do with the M1918 BAR.

So, wait.... are you saying that one could get a BAR (like the Mark II Safari) in .308 and use standard capacity FNAR mags, not the 5 rounders?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So, wait.... are you saying that one could get a BAR (like the Mark II Safari) in .308 and use standard capacity FNAR mags, not the 5 rounders?

I don't think the mags are interchangeable, since the FNAR has that mag well protrusion. The internal parts should be interchangeable.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You might want to double check that. If it's based on the Beretta BM-59 conversion it's banned.

Have it converted to take M14 mags. They're cheaper and less bulky than BM59 mags anyway. A friend of mine bought a BM59E parts kit and sent it off to Shuff's to have built, but to take M14 mags.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Just get a Chinese copy , replace the bolt sometime. And enjoy it. Before MSP realizes how retarded our gun laws are.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      30.7 KB · Views: 643

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Of course you are going to find negative stuff; it's an American design built by the Chinese. Most of that crap was started by Fulton and Springfield armories
    because you could buy what was essentially the same rifle (and in some ways better) they were making for 1/3 of the price. The only way to compete was to discredit the Chinese offering. You'll read all kinds of stuff about soft bolts, inferior parts, etc., etc. ad nauseam yet no one could ever actually produce proof of that. And it they did find a failure, they tried to say that all were that way. With a little research though, you will find lots and lots of guys like me who have actually OWNED one for many many years with absolutely ZERO problems. This poor dead horse gets beaten over and over and the same old crap gets rehashed over and over. Yeah....they're Chinese so they're junk. :rolleyes:

+1
    Have a close friend who owns a Polytech M14 that shoots very well with no issues. I own and have owned many Chinese made AK and SKS rifles and can attest that what ever else the Chinese make that is subpar in general it ain't their firearms.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Lovely. So can buy virtually the same thing if its a cheaper made foreign import if I am understanding correctly. For the M14 options at least -_- Way to support American businesses MD politicians.

I guess I will look into the Polytech and Norinco options for now but my first glance saw a good deal of negatives.

This ban makes even less sense than the AK bans to me. When was the last time an M14 was used in a crime it would be fun to know.

STOP trying to figure it out. You WILL hurt yourself. :rolleyes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just get a Chinese copy , replace the bolt sometime. And enjoy it. Before MSP realizes how retarded our gun laws are.

If you modify the receiver to take a standard bolt, you have created a banned firearm, as it is now a COPY of the M1A.

The reason the Polytech is legal is that it is not directly parts swappable. Change that, and you change the status.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    If you modify the receiver to take a standard bolt, you have created a banned firearm, as it is now a COPY of the M1A.

The reason the Polytech is legal is that it is not directly parts swappable. Change that, and you change the status.

Nope. The gas system is not interchangeable. That's the main difference more so than the bolt. Chinese bolts are soft, not a different spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom