• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Does anyone have a Turkish 1903 Mauser ( or other models) ? How is it to shoot?

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I have one of the Gew98 Turkish 1903’s, and it isn’t bad. Shoots well. Looks way better than most of the Gew98’s I’ve seen.

I have 2 with 1893 actions. They shoot 12” groups at 100 yards. Both have very dark bores with sewer pipe quality rifling. I bought them because Century had Turk Mauser for $10 each when they first came in. I gambled $100 :lol2: I got 2 of the 1903’s, 2 of the 1893’s, and the rest 1938’s.

All of the large ring 1938’s with K. Kale actions shoot much better. I have 3 of those left. The remainder of the batch of 100 got sold when the prices went up.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I have a VZ-24 flavored Mauser. Fun gun to make some noise and give yourself a little thump in the shoulder.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    If you do not mind me asking, are your 1903 in the original 7.92x53 or the 7.92x57?

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Mine shoots about 2" groups at 100 yards with Romanian, IIRC, surplus. At my age, the tough part is seeing the sights properly. Back in the day, I was lucky to have found one with a clean bore. Also have the non-matching but correct bayonet. It's easier to find a K.Kale 1938 with a decent bore, but they aren't as refined, external metal polishing on the receiver is a little rough. The 1938s are good shooters, though. You'll be much better off looking for a clean vz.22 aka Czech Mauser 98/22. The 98/22 is like a Gew 98 but has a simpler rear sight, and are usually in better shape than other Turks. I'm partial to the long rifles. Wish I could still get them for what I paid.

GunBum, you reminded me of $25 Lee Enfields at Springfield Sporters with your post!

Cheers

Last edited:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I had a really nice K.Kale 1903 a few years ago. It shot really well...better than me. The steel seemed pretty good (heavy and solid, I heard it was supplied by the Germans). Mine had a beautiful Circassian walnut stock that had nicer figuring than any other milsurp rifle I’ve ever owned.

IMO, they used to be a great value. Mauser engineering and decent steel for Mosin prices.

I’d take another one if given the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom