• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I am intersted in 3 gun, maybe, as long as my family life would allow a little wiggle room for it.

Has anyone began 3 gun knowing they wouldn't be competitive? Do competitons even allow for people who are ungeared?

In theory I could compete right now, I own a pistol a riffle and a shotgun, but they are mostly stock, and the shotgun is a pump, which I have read is not advised. I have a VZ, and it has some appearence mods that have made the gun feel awesome in my hands, which in turn has made me shoot it better. I also have an gen 1 XD40.

So what would you guys suggest? The other thought I had was begin in other competitions, as 3 gun maybe too advanced. I am not sure how to get started, but I am curious. I need to watch one in person see what the match is about, I have seen more then a few videos online about them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You could have the best gear in the world and you will still probably be wildly uncompetitive at your first 3 gun match. I wouldn't sweat it.

What you do need to have is a stiff belt, mag pouches, retention holster, and a decent shot shell carrier. If you got a match that has a 2 gun division, I'd probably do that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Start in uspsa. Then do 2gun.

Buying all the crap required for 3 gun is a commitment. If you don't already do the above, it'll get you involved at a reasonable pace.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I did my first 3 gun with an 870 pump shotgun, belt with holster and 1 mag holder for pistol...AR15 mags went in my 511 pockets...used a gen 4 G19 and middle of the road AR15...had a blast...

Currently run same belt with holster and 1 mag holder for pistol, use a CZ SP01 now, have a VR80 mag fed semi auto shotgun, mags for shotgun and AR15 if needed are in my 511 pants pockets...I finish solid mid pack in open class....don't have any fancy gear...figured out how to do with what you have...you would be surprised at how well you do....plus its a ton of fun

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Where would be a good place to watch a 3 or 2 gun competition?

Go to AGC, their next 3 gun match is October 18th.
    If you have a retention holster, a couple of mag pouches, and an AaR, you could sign up and shoot 2 gun. Talk to people there about guns/gear etc and then you’ll be on your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Go up to PA, to somewhere like Ontelaunee that puts on a high quality 3 gun, if you're just going to watch.

But....if you have a pistol and holster, and mag pouches for your pistol and AR-15, then just shoot it. You can put shotgun shells in a cargo pocket. Even with good equipment, you'll be super slow, so don't worry about that stuff too much yet.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Yeah just come shoot the October match at AGC, it’s beginner friendly, and as long as you’re safe how competitive you are will really only matter to you. A decent belt and holster is really all you need and maybe a pistol mag pouch (I use one I got from midway for like $12), you’ll probably want to check out what people use for shotshells before you buy something. If you want to borrow a semi auto shotgun from someone in your squad that can probably be arranged or just shoot what you have. Or there’s a 2 gun division if you want to skip the shotgun but I think it’s one of the most fun parts.

There’s a pistol only “practice” shoot this Thursday 10/1 from 5:30 til dark come by and get a feel for how things work. Send me a PM if you can make it and I’ll bring my stuff for you to take a look at.

I assume you mean a vz58 for your rifle? You’ll fit in well with us that have started using our AKs lol

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    York's fun shoots are designed to be an into to 3 gun and a couple other disciplines. York pistol blogspot has the schedule and info. Main thing is to be safe, follow the rules, and have at least sufficient mags/ belt gear to run a stage. Figure around 1/2 of the competitors aren't using the latest purpose built equipment, and are running for fun without worrying about score much. Once you run a few matches you will see what you want to change, and what division to enter. IMO tactical scope is the largest division with only a few limitations(compared to Open class), probably the best place to start. Can go to tactical limited if you don't have a LPVO for your rifle, pretty much the only difference between the classes in magnified/lpvo in tac scope vs irons/1x red dot in limited. Main things that you want are carriers for 2 handgun mags, 2 rifle mags (at least 4 mags each) and about 12 shotgun shells. A semi auto shotgun that can hold 8-12 shells, AR with a good trigger/brake/adjustable gas, and handgun with mags that can hold 20+(under 140mm long) are the best things to get after you get started.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The York fun shoot was yesterday, so you have a full month to prepare. It usually only allows 2 guns per stage, but there isn't a competition...maybe there's timer for the start. I've had SO's say, "beeeeep" for you to start. You can take 3 guns, but only shoot 2 per stage. You get figure out how to transition from gun to gun, make some new friends and have some fun. Safety is #1 and you'll learn that, too.

https://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    AGC is not far from you, and their matches are fairly sedate.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Good, do they have people come and watch? is there a schedule for matches at ACG?

I did my first 3 gun with an 870 pump shotgun, belt with holster and 1 mag holder for pistol...AR15 mags went in my 511 pockets...used a gen 4 G19 and middle of the road AR15...had a blast...

Currently run same belt with holster and 1 mag holder for pistol, use a CZ SP01 now, have a VR80 mag fed semi auto shotgun, mags for shotgun and AR15 if needed are in my 511 pants pockets...I finish solid mid pack in open class....don't have any fancy gear...figured out how to do with what you have...you would be surprised at how well you do....plus its a ton of fun

I have some 5.11 pants, but they are dirty from fixing trucks, so I guess they could work, but the dirty pants and cheap guns would kind of give me a theme I try and avoid, even though I am just that.

Go to AGC, their next 3 gun match is October 18th.
    If you have a retention holster, a couple of mag pouches, and an AaR, you could sign up and shoot 2 gun. Talk to people there about guns/gear etc and then you’ll be on your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pistol mag holder and a retention holder that came with the XD (XD Gear!)

I don't have an AR, so I won't be riffle shooting with one of those. I could probaby borrow one, but isn't 5.56 and .223 unobtanium right now?

Go up to PA, to somewhere like Ontelaunee that puts on a high quality 3 gun, if you're just going to watch.

But....if you have a pistol and holster, and mag pouches for your pistol and AR-15, then just shoot it. You can put shotgun shells in a cargo pocket. Even with good equipment, you'll be super slow, so don't worry about that stuff too much yet.

I don't have an AR. I have a VZ2008. I have a pistol mag holder and a retention holster for my XD as stated above, the XD gear stuff that came with the gun when I bought it

Yeah just come shoot the October match at AGC, it’s beginner friendly, and as long as you’re safe how competitive you are will really only matter to you. A decent belt and holster is really all you need and maybe a pistol mag pouch (I use one I got from midway for like $12), you’ll probably want to check out what people use for shotshells before you buy something. If you want to borrow a semi auto shotgun from someone in your squad that can probably be arranged or just shoot what you have. Or there’s a 2 gun division if you want to skip the shotgun but I think it’s one of the most fun parts.

There’s a pistol only “practice” shoot this Thursday 10/1 from 5:30 til dark come by and get a feel for how things work. Send me a PM if you can make it and I’ll bring my stuff for you to take a look at.

I assume you mean a vz58 for your rifle? You’ll fit in well with us that have started using our AKs lol

how much to practice? I only have 100 rounds of .40 right now, would I need more then that? Even if I can't practice it might be good for me to come check out your setup.

Let me chew on my wife, maybe I can go into work late the next day so I can help take the kids to daycare as a consolation prize for dealing with them on her own from 5:30 on.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’ve shot two whole 3-gun matches. Absolutely zero expectation of being competitive now or ever. It’s just for fun, and to find new and exciting ways to make my feet hurt. I’ll be several more matches before things like the shotgun reloads start to feel natural under the clock. And I don’t care! It’s fun and it’s time well spent with like minded people. Anything more than that is gravy.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    how much to practice? I only have 100 rounds of .40 right now, would I need more then that? Even if I can't practice it might be good for me to come check out your setup.

Let me chew on my wife, maybe I can go into work late the next day so I can help take the kids to daycare as a consolation prize for dealing with them on her own from 5:30 on.

Totally up to you, however much you want to shoot. Typical practice course will be like 8-12 rounds or so and a little moving/shooting behind or through barricades and stuff.

There’s lots of good info and the schedule for the rest of the year here: https://associatedgunclubs.org/action_shooting/

Sign up for the emails too if you want to get notified about events and when the matches open on practiscore

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I showed up to my first 3 gun shoot at AGC 4 years ago with a pump shotgun, a bare bones AR, and an XDM with the stock holster. I ran around with shotgun shells and magazines falling out of my cargo pockets. I had a blast and found that virtually everyone was helpful and by the end of the shoot I was lent mag holders and shotgun caddys from different people and shot two different peoples guns. I was hooked.

Don’t get too concerned about the gear but do make sure that you know how to safely use what you have. Make sure you know how to load and unload the shotgun tube, keep your finger out of the guard while reloading and moving, and practice reloads and muzzle control a little bit before coming out. Also practice drawing and placing the handgun back into the holster safely.

When you get there, don’t be afraid to tell people, especially the ROs, that it’s your first time. They will walk you through everything and always default to waiting to be told to do anything with your firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom