• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WVHunter

Mar 14, 2019
    Hello!

I'm active duty in MD, WV resident. I've built an AR from a lower I received in MD. Can I do a bill of sale to gift the rifle to my friend from WI in a few weeks? Going fly fishing in WV where we will meet.

The rifle is located in my home state, WV, not MD. WI has like 0 rules on firearms.

Thanks, Stay Blessed.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Yes has to go through FFL for lowers purchased in MD. Now if you had bought it as a complete gun... That would of been a different story.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Well I stand corrected then. So state to state transfer of long guns (ar15) requires FFL as well where as inner state does not. As long as both of you are residents of the same state... Right

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WVHunter

Mar 14, 2019
    That's what I'm getting, in-state, bill of sale, out = FFL.
    Many people sell though, and skip the FFL process. If it's a personal friend and not a felon, who cares. I get his post about Federal Law, but it's ridiculous.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Many people sell though, and skip the FFL process. If it's a personal friend and not a felon, who cares. I get his post about Federal Law, but it's ridiculous.

I hear you, but one of the rules on MDS is "do not advocate illegal activity"
    FTF transfers between residents of different states is not legal.I don't want to see anybody get in a jam over these laws. Let your conscience be your guide.

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County

It has been a federal law since 1968. You can sell a long gun to a resident of the same state you live in. In free America handguns also. The same law applies to FFL holder's. They can only sell guns in the State they have the FFL in. A Maryland FFL can not set up at a PA gun show and sell a long gun must go thru a FFL in that State.

WVHunter

Mar 14, 2019
    I hear you, but one of the rules on MDS is "do not advocate illegal activity"
    FTF transfers between residents of different states is not legal.I don't want to see anybody get in a jam over these laws. Let your conscience be your guide.

Right on, no worries.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Rinse and repeat.

A question was asked.

The person posting the question didn't get the answer they wanted, so the answer does not apply to THEM

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Not running it through an FFL would make you a felon. Say bye, bye to any security clearance. Possible time in the grey bar hotel too. Wouldn't work out too well for your buddy either. Follow the law!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I could be wrong. But I thought ftf long guns had to be from neighboring states.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I could be wrong. But I thought ftf long guns had to be from neighboring states.

No... Face to Face sales are only allowed between residents of the same state. There is no legal process other than through an FFL for the sale of any firearm between two residents residing in different states.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

GCA 68 did require that. But only if your state of residence specifically allowed it.

FOPA 86 removed that limitation. But, some states had written their laws, in response to GSA 68, to ONLY allow purchase in adjacent states. So they had to revise their laws to allow purchase in any state. Some did not do so until the century.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016

You will when the rifle is stolen and used to commit a crime.

I understand the satisfaction of bucking the system but sometimes the risk simply isn't worth the reward.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You will when the rifle is stolen and used to commit a crime.

I understand the satisfaction of bucking the system but sometimes the risk simply isn't worth the reward.

And you always have that chance that the buddy sells the gun to someone who uses it in a crime and then it gets traced back to you because the buddy says something to the ATF, etc.

A million and one ways it could blow back on you some day. An FFL adds maybe $50 to your costs and in most states possibly an hour of time. If that on cost and time.

For a possible 10 year felony, seems pretty stupid even if the risk is low of ever getting caught. The risk isn’t zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom