Has anyone been having glitches with the NICS 4473 process lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    But I think the point is they CAN ask. They can’t demand it or offer repercussions if the dealer doesn’t agree.

Yep, they can ask, they cannot, imply as they did back in 2013, that dealers are not permitted to release a firearm after 7 days and had to wait for the "not disapproved".

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I dont remember asking for your reply Fabs.As far as incorrect info I simply stated something I witnessed three times in the past two weeks.

I don't believe he was referring to you posts as incorrect information, I certainly didn't take it that way. But yes, in other posts from other people in previous threads over the past 6 years, there has been a lot of incorrect information on not only the 4473 and NICS process but also the 77R and MSP process.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    Original Poster Here With An Update

By way of update, I went back to DICK'S last Sunday, which was Delay Day 30, and it's still showing as "pending." Time to move on to a real FFL. Lesson learned the hard way. Does anyone know if I can have the "pending" 4473 withdrawn from the NICS system so that I can start again somewhere else?

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    I went to the Ft. Meade exchange Friday 3/22/19 to buy a mighty Ruger 10/22, waited for a few minutes, and then was told that I was delayed until 3/28/19. At first, I was cool with this, just wait a few days. But over the weekend I thought about it, and it is causing me to have to go back another trip to get my powerful game rifle.

The manager was thoughtful and gave me my NTN, so, I decided to file an appeal at https://www.edo.cjis.gov. I filed this late Sunday night and got a reply at 0300 Monday morning. The response said that I could not appeal since I was not denied. Also, it said:

If your status is “delayed,” please be advised that the FBI is not accepting challenges for firearm-related delays at this time. Please wait until it is determined that your transaction status is denied before challenging the reason(s) for your firearm-related denial.

Then, on the way home today I got a call from the manager, and she told me that the status had changed to "proceed".

I don't know if my appeal did anything to speed things up. But, I want to get this fixed, because I want to buy a Mauser like the one that my Dad had when I was a kid at the next gun show. A delay at a gunshow is essentially a denial. Maybe I will do the voluntary appeal file, but that is a major PIA because you have to get fingerprinted for that, I don't know why. My only guess is that they run the fingerprints through their database to really make sure that you are clean.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    The original poster here.

"If your status is “delayed,” please be advised that the FBI is not accepting challenges for firearm-related delays at this time."

Wow, that's messed up. I'm glad that I didn't move forward with an appeal of my delay, now entering week six. (When I got to the part of the appeal instructions that required me to submit rolled fingerprints from a duly authorized authority, I thought "Hell no! I shouldn't have to do that!")

I went to a REAL FFL the other day, explained my situation, and asked "If I purchase a Ruger 10/22LR from you, and four days go by after I've submitted a new 4473 to NICS and the system still shows my submission is "pending" (i.e., delayed), will you honor the Brady date provision in the federal law and lawfully transfer the Ruger to me?" And he answered without hesitation "Absolutely yes!" So I think that I'm good to go. I don't know what to say, though, about what might be the best course of action if you're delayed on a gun show purchase.

And as for DICK'S Sporting Goods, I intend on telling them to take the Ruger that they have on hold for me in the back room off the shelf and to go piss up a rope. I can think of only one condition under which I'd ever set foot in one of their establishments again. And that would be if I suddenly had an urgent need to take a dump and their bathroom is the closest one to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom