• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    At the request of Robbie Leonard, I submitted to an FBI background check today and started the paperwork on a Canik TP9 Elite Combat. I want to put a reflex type sight on it, but don't know a lot about them. I know Vortex, Leupold, and Sig each make one. I want something reliable, and most importantly usable with my astigmatism. I have an EOTech that I can see well for comparison. So tell me about what you like, don't like, etc.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    For starters, EOtech is holographic, not reflex. There is a difference.

I believe holographic works better for astigmatism than reflex but i may have that backwards.

Finally, if you can see An EOTech well, why not stick with that?

AFAIK EOtech and Vortex are the only holographic sight manufacturers

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    For starters, EOtech is holographic, not reflex. There is a difference.

I believe holographic works better for astigmatism than reflex but i may have that backwards.

Finally, if you can see An EOTech well, why not stick with that?

AFAIK EOtech and Vortex are the only holographic sight manufacturers

I went to quote and I see you added to your post. I do know EOTech is holographic. I hadn't seen a small pistol type one by them, unless I have just missed it.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    There are three options. Leupold Deltapoint, Trijicon RMR, and polarized sunglasses. The Deltapoints and the RMR's are the only options around long enough to have a proven track record of usability, quality and durability for defensive use. Leupold has a bit bigger and clearer glass and you don't need to remove it to replace the tree full of bats. Trijicon has a bit thicker shielding and the glass is tinted to make the dot easier to see on lower power levels and is available with dual source (tritium and fiber optic) illumination for Amish guns.

Polarized sunglasses can help people with an astigmatism use otherwise unusable red dot optics.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I went to quote and I see you added to your post. I do know EOTech is holographic. I hadn't seen a small pistol type one by them, unless I have just missed it.

Derp, my bad. I misread your post. For some reason i thought you were picking up an AR 9mm.

No, there are no micro holographic sights. Reflex is your only option

Along with the deltapoint and rmr, i would add the burris fastfire to the list. I have a fastfire 2 and 3 and they have both been excellent.

Trijicon RMR: loooooong battery life, constant on (both tritium and electric only), auto brightness (both good and bad, sometimes it is too dim to see with the sun at your back. Must unmount to change battery, lens tint is a little annoying at times, proprietary mount pattern

Fastfire 3: auto brightness with manual override, manual on with auto shutoff. No dismount needed for battery change.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    There are three options. Leupold Deltapoint, Trijicon RMR, and polarized sunglasses. The Deltapoints and the RMR's are the only options around long enough to have a proven track record of usability, quality and durability for defensive use. Leupold has a bit bigger and clearer glass and you don't need to remove it to replace the tree full of bats. Trijicon has a bit thicker shielding and the glass is tinted to make the dot easier to see on lower power levels and is available with dual source (tritium and fiber optic) illumination for Amish guns.

Polarized sunglasses can help people with an astigmatism use otherwise unusable red dot optics.

So I take this as you think these are the only 2 brands worthwhile? I like the idea of not removing it to change batteries. Any place local carry them in store to look through?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So I take this as you think these are the only 2 brands worthwhile? I like the idea of not removing it to change batteries. Any place local carry them in store to look through?

You said reliable. To me reliable means carry/self defense. Other brands are almost as reliable or have fancy widgets for competition if that's more the flavor of the day. I think Continental Arms stocks them but I'd call and ask before driving or wait until the Gettysburg show at the end of the month and they should definitely be there.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    You said reliable. To me reliable means carry/self defense. Other brands are almost as reliable or have fancy widgets for competition if that's more the flavor of the day. I think Continental Arms stocks them but I'd call and ask before driving or wait until the Gettysburg show at the end of the month and they should definitely be there.

Fair! I want them to be worry free, even though I won't use them for carry. I really like my Leupolds, so am definitely interested in looking through one of them. Thank you!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If the venom or viper are on your short list and you decide to pick one up PM me first

Image is not mine guns just showing you the product

Attachments

• C2FA8FD0-01FA-42C8-98D5-79B16505EAAB.jpg
      C2FA8FD0-01FA-42C8-98D5-79B16505EAAB.jpg
      81.2 KB · Views: 265

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As someone with astigmatism I can say the bigger the dot the less it affects your shooting. When you have the flare from astigmatism it pretty much stays the same size regardless of the dot size so using a big dot makes the flare smaller in comparison. One reason why I have more C-More red dots than anything else. And most are big 12-16 MOA dots and why I have Master rankings in Steel Challenge. Now you can't put a C-More on everything due to size and available mounting. My G34 I use for just about everything has a Trijicon RMR on it, one of the battery free models that has a 9 MOA green dot. Also have one Burris FF3 (8 MOA dot) on one pistol. Those are compromises at best but its the best I can do. Tried a few other dots and with the dot being too small I have issues.

I do find I can use iron sights but to do that I need fiber optics and/or tritium both front and rear. Front only is not enough, and it has to have different color front and rear. I like William Firesights with red front and green rear. Or tritium orange front white rear. Now for a Carry Optics gun I plan on putting a red dot mount on my HK USP Compact. Got the mount but really need a 5-8 MOA red dot for serious use. I plan on trying one of my smaller dot ones just to see how I like it before investing likely in an 8 MOA FF3.

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    And if you haven’t shot the elite combat yet , well you’ll be in love with it , I own the elite and the elite combat

Ps they have a elite sub compact coming here soon

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    As someone with astigmatism I can say the bigger the dot the less it affects your shooting. When you have the flare from astigmatism it pretty much stays the same size regardless of the dot size so using a big dot makes the flare smaller in comparison. One reason why I have more C-More red dots than anything else. And most are big 12-16 MOA dots and why I have Master rankings in Steel Challenge. Now you can't put a C-More on everything due to size and available mounting. My G34 I use for just about everything has a Trijicon RMR on it, one of the battery free models that has a 9 MOA green dot. Also have one Burris FF3 (8 MOA dot) on one pistol. Those are compromises at best but its the best I can do. Tried a few other dots and with the dot being too small I have issues.

I do find I can use iron sights but to do that I need fiber optics and/or tritium both front and rear. Front only is not enough, and it has to have different color front and rear. I like William Firesights with red front and green rear. Or tritium orange front white rear. Now for a Carry Optics gun I plan on putting a red dot mount on my HK USP Compact. Got the mount but really need a 5-8 MOA red dot for serious use. I plan on trying one of my smaller dot ones just to see how I like it before investing likely in an 8 MOA FF3.

Thank you! With my glasses, irons are good although I am due to update my prescription. I will definitely take a look at some of the bigger MOA dots. That makes sense.

And if you haven’t shot the elite combat yet , well you’ll be in love with it , I own the elite and the elite combat

Ps they have a elite sub compact coming here soon

The elite combat is what is bought. The trigger sold me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom