• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    HB 1165 has been submitted in Florida which, in part, will make it illegal for a minor to post a picture of a gun or replica on public social media:

A minor who posts or publishes a picture of firearm, BB gun, air or gas operated gun, or device displayed to resemble a firearm to a social media page, post, profile, or account that is openly viewable to the public commits a misdemeanor of the first degree

It also allows for the gun in the picture to be seized by police:

Any firearm that is possessed or used by a minor in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by a law enforcement officer and disposed of in accordance with s. 790.08

A news article stated:

The lawmakers backing the bill said it would not make it illegal for minors to post or pose for pictures on social media who are hunting with an adult.

Yeah, but that is not it the bill. Another article even said that it would ban minors from posting pictures of illegal guns. As I heard it talked about on the radio this morning, think about a teen whose older brother or sister is deployed overseas and sends you a picture back. How many of these pictures show them with their weapons? I would like to see the police attempt to seize the rifle belonging to a soldier serving in a combat zone.

They even mention holding parents responsible and making them complete community service with the "guilty" minor.

Here is a link to the text of the bill:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2019/1165/BillText/Filed/PDF

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    First Amendment aside, how can they tell the person with the gun is a minor? How can they tell the gun is illegal? Do gun-shaped Pop Tarts count? How about maps of Florida? And parents can be charged?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Guys, the fact that a bill _has been proposed_ does not mean that bill necessarily has a chance in hell of passing. Going batsh&t insane over every dumb bill that gets proposed drains energy from fighting the ones that are actually serious threats.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    We realize this is just a proposal, and no one here is going batshit. But this year's crazy proposal is the social orthodoxy in ten years .

Gay marriage was a batshit crazy proposal 15 years ago.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Guys, the fact that a bill _has been proposed_ does not mean that bill necessarily has a chance in hell of passing. Going batsh&t insane over every dumb bill that gets proposed drains energy from fighting the ones that are actually serious threats.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I see what you mean, but at the same time, the leftists are allowed to get away with too much as is. These bills, based solely on emotion and never given any coherent thought about logic or unintended consequences, need to be crushed.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

We realize this is just a proposal, and no one here is going batshit. But this year's crazy proposal is the social orthodoxy in ten years .

Gay marriage was a batshit crazy proposal 15 years ago.

I watched a show last night. College students. Introduced to the dorm. Were shown where the mens, womans and gengder neutral bathrooms were.

Seatbelts were once something you would not be pulled over for. now they are

They won't throw it at you all at once, like a gun ban. They have to go little by little to get you used to it, then it's not such a shock when it happens.

Stuff like this is a teaster/test to see public perception imo, eventually it will be thought of as a good idea.

Look at hollywood movies and tv shows now. There is alot that gets introduced to make the upcoming generations feel certain things are normal.

As an example, 10 years ago, you would not have had guy on guy action on a cbs, nbc show. Now you see it. It started with a kiss and progressed. You could not have gone from nothing to what you see right now on tv without a progression to ease people into the idea or they would have had to much backlash.

tell me i'm wrong.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Not wrong, question is, will we end up like Demolition Man, or Idiocracy? Star Trek is not even on the table at this time.

Q

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    I watched a show last night. College students. Introduced to the dorm. Were shown where the mens, womans and gengder neutral bathrooms were.

Seatbelts were once something you would not be pulled over for. now they are

They won't throw it at you all at once, like a gun ban. They have to go little by little to get you used to it, then it's not such a shock when it happens.

Stuff like this is a teaster/test to see public perception imo, eventually it will be thought of as a good idea.

Look at hollywood movies and tv shows now. There is alot that gets introduced to make the upcoming generations feel certain things are normal.

As an example, 10 years ago, you would not have had guy on guy action on a cbs, nbc show. Now you see it. It started with a kiss and progressed. You could not have gone from nothing to what you see right now on tv without a progression to ease people into the idea or they would have had to much backlash.

tell me i'm wrong.

Spot on. They just slowly add things here and there on tv and movies, baby steps almost, till it becomes the norm or socially acceptable. Even 20 years ago when I was a kid, you did NOT see homosexual activity on cable tv. You just didnt.

Now if the show doesnt have an lgbtq main, or supporting character its racist, sexist, what have you.

Name me a recent show that has a straight white male lead.....yep

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County

I fully understand this. However, I don't believe that this bill is anywhere near as far fetched as the proposed "Testicular Bill of Rights" that was submitted in Georgia. This sounds unfortunately like a bill that many people would find reasonable. Especially when you take into account the press coverage stating that supposedly minors won't get in trouble for posting pictures of family hunting trips, etc. They will feel that it is just aimed at the minors who are posting "gangsta style" pictures of themselves with guns that are illegal for them to own.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    This is how they fight it if it becomes law. Every kid post a picture of a cop with a gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the law go that far? I took it to mean the kid is holding the gun or the photo is of the gun itself (the subject of the photo).

Or, the law wasn't meant to mean banning photos of LEO and kids, but the usual unintended consequences of bad laws might "accidentally" go that far.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I fully understand this. However, I don't believe that this bill is anywhere near as far fetched as the proposed "Testicular Bill of Rights" that was submitted in Georgia. This sounds unfortunately like a bill that many people would find reasonable. Especially when you take into account the press coverage stating that supposedly minors won't get in trouble for posting pictures of family hunting trips, etc. They will feel that it is just aimed at the minors who are posting "gangsta style" pictures of themselves with guns that are illegal for them to own.

A kid can get in trouble for eating a poptart into the shape of a gun
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/17/pop-tart-gun-suspension-upheld-by-maryland-judge/

So when we talk about photos of a kid with a bb gun and being able to get the parents in trouble. I believe it.

People are out of their FVcking minds. How have we gone down this far. No victim, no crime.

Just found this online:
    77fa46f1415e072e42708115b1c9a675.jpg

The real questions is: When does it end?

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Spot on. They just slowly add things here and there on tv and movies, baby steps almost, till it becomes the norm or socially acceptable. Even 20 years ago when I was a kid, you did NOT see homosexual activity on cable tv. You just didnt.

Now if the show doesnt have an lgbtq main, or supporting character its racist, sexist, what have you.

All true. Blazing Saddles is playing at the Weinberg Center in Frederick next Wednesday. Sponsored by Flying Dog. In light of the overly political correct climate that we live in, I believe I will go support the arts.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    All true. Blazing Saddles is playing at the Weinberg Center in Frederick next Wednesday. Sponsored by Flying Dog. In light of the overly political correct climate that we live in, I believe I will go support the arts.
    Hmm, maybe I'll take my 16-yr old if he has time (and there isn't an age limit). I'm surprised that this doesn't clash with present day sensitivities of an organization in the theater/entertainment business. Maybe because Flying Dog wrote the check and are 1A supporters.

Got your PM re staffing the gun show, and since you can't check PMs currently, sorry, unable to swing it. I go when I'm able and keep an eye on the MSI volunteer threads that Shafted puts up.

As per the OP, wonder if under this legislation if the kid would get in trouble if there were publicity shots for a shooting competition (of them participating) or news coverage, and the kid linked to it in social media. While I think this will fail, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes part of the MDA agenda, in the hopes of blunting youth participation in shooting sports.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That’s still most shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom