• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My MidwayUSA two belt system sags under the weights of my Shadow 2 and STI DVC 3-gun. It was fine with my P16-40 and RIA double stack 1911, but it sags with the bigger, heavier guns. Any suggestions for a stiffer belt? The Uncle Mikes isn't up to the task, either. Who makes a 2" 2 piece belt?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Don't know anything about competitive shooting but is there a reason why you couldn't utilize a duty belt setup like we wear?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Try the shooters connection belt. I have that and the cheap midway ones, and it's like night and day with regards to stiffness.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Try the shooters connection belt. I have that and the cheap midway ones, and it's like night and day with regards to stiffness.

OK, looked at those for my own personal reference - very similar to modern duty belts. We no longer wear most of our gear on the belt because it's now on the vest carrier. Radio, rifle mags, pistol mags, etc..., in fact the only things on my actual belt are the pistol and an ASP. With that being said, there was a time when the belts were loaded and a good inner belt attached to the actual pants loops that locked to the duty belt (with hook and loop) works well if you utilize keepers around the heavy items. (I/E - a keeper in front of the pistol and behind the pistol)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't run 2" belts, but have been happy with blade tech and Double Alpha. I like the Safariland ELS belt system better, but don't want to swap all my Bladetech / Tec-lok stuff over.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you can make 1.5" work, yeah the shooters connection 'house brand' belt is pretty nice (ie sturdy), mine is set up for production. i've been using my double alpha double belt for 3 gun with no issues (3 handgun mag pouches, sti 2011 in als holster, two 8 shell shotgun caddies, ar-15 mag holder). i do affix velcro to backs of shell caddies and mag pouches, helps keep them attached to inner belt. and the outer belt i have the opening at the back to maximize the frontal space for all the 3 gun crap.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The Beltman makes really fine gun belts in 1.25", 1.5" and 1.75". I doubt you'd ever get any sag with one of these, especially the 1.75. They have additional stiffener layers if you think you need it - optional on most, standard with some of the less stiff leathers. I've had mine for years, no complaints. I might order another, as I'm gradually waisting away (thank you, keto).

https://www.thebeltman.net/

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    DAA is the stiffest and hardest to get your gear on. (thick) CR-speed is next. Shooters connection after that. The SC one is pretty nice for the price. All these are 1.5" I think.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like nobody makes a wider competition belt.

if you can make 1.5" work, yeah the shooters connection 'house brand' belt is pretty nice (ie sturdy), mine is set up for production. i've been using my double alpha double belt for 3 gun with no issues (3 handgun mag pouches, sti 2011 in als holster, two 8 shell shotgun caddies, ar-15 mag holder). i do affix velcro to backs of shell caddies and mag pouches, helps keep them attached to inner belt. and the outer belt i have the opening at the back to maximize the frontal space for all the 3 gun crap.

I used the Midway belt with just the holster last time I shot 3-gun at Peacemaker. I used two battle belts, one with shell caddies and one without. Swapped as needed. Made things easier for me since I could take them off between stages.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have a 2" 5.11 Sierra bravo belt. Super stiff. Velcro inner belt, 2" outer belt. Didn't break the bank.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Don't know anything about competitive shooting but is there a reason why you couldn't utilize a duty belt setup like we wear?

Several reasons. Number one is it means we can take all our weapon load off without affecting whether our pants stay up. :D
    But one of the main reasons is because often at a match we might be shooting multiple guns in different divisions. So we can have an outer belt with holster and mag pouches for one gun and then can swap the outer belt for a setup with a totally different gun and mags on a separate outer belt. Generally all that change has to take place during lunch break so its not possible all the time to completely strip a single outer belt and re-populate it on a short break. I have outer belt loads for Open Revolver, Open (Auto), Single Stack, and Limited. The only time I used a single belt was when I was shooting 3-gun so I had a much wider belt. And also because the amount of stuff carried on mine required a belt I could put on normally then spin around so the clasp is at the back so I have more room across the front for pistol pouches, AR mag pouches, and shotgun caddies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom