• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Thats an awesome one. I didnt see any black blades I think that might have shot to the top of my list. Yeah I have a feeling Ill be in there soon to snag that Spartan Blade Harsey knife they have. I got one for my dad for his bday and have been in envy since.. Might not need to this blade on the CR is pretty impressive. :D

Sorry. That's not a black blade - it's just crappy photo lighting.

CRK will do tumbled finish like the one I have or a high polish or damascus. Plus, multitude of different engraved handle designs.

For example...

(pic credit to BKbladezZz on bf.com)

CR_Sebbies_all_07_edit.jpg

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    :bowdown:

That will take me awhile to even come remotely close. You're a huge CR fan! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry. That's not my collection. I lifted that pic off the forum I PM'd you about. This collection belongs to a forum member there.

:)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sorry. That's not my collection. I lifted that pic off the forum I PM'd you about. This collection belongs to a forum member there.

Has no one explained to them about the feet?

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    For some eye-candy... this is a Chris Reeve custom too. Nope, I don't own it. But... I'd like to. :D

Chris_Reeve_Custom_Dagger.JPG

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My personal favorites. I EDC them, sometimes several at once.

Spyderco Native 5, Caly 3.5, and Para-Military2 (respectively). Caly 3.5 by far my favorite because it's light with a huge blade. Native 5 fits my hand best and has the beefiest blade. All three are built like tanks.

Attachments

• C41G5_L.jpg
      C41G5_L.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 291
    • C144G_L.jpg
      C144G_L.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 286
    • C81G2_L.jpg
      C81G2_L.jpg
      23.8 KB · Views: 291

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    When choosing an EDC knife repeat this to yourself until it sticks: "Practical, then tactical"

The knife you choose will be used for everyday stuff way more than self defense, but should be able to be used for self defense should the need arise. So it should be tough, lightweight, comfortable to use, and easy to sharpen/maintain.

I wouldn't pick anything with a recurve blade (ZT for example) because they are a little bit of a pain to sharpen properly (but if you have the tools to do, i.e. ceramic rods, then more power to you)

While multifunction and design are nice, make sure that none of the stuff hanging off the knife interfere with quick deployment (The Mantis MTF-4-ti is guilty of this. Looks like a great knife until you use it)

Pick a locking design you are comfortable with and trust. I like liner locks and Axis locks but you might be different. Ditto with opening method.

Pick a blade design that will work for your needs. Remember that you will most likely be using this knife for opening mail, packages etc 99.9% of the time so while a tactical blade may look cool, a drop point blade may be a better choice.

Research and choose a steel. One of the biggest problems I have found with EDC knives in MD is the humidity and condensation eroding the edge and steel on my knives. The best I have found thus far is Spyderco's H1, Victorinox, and Benchmades N680 are the best at resisting corrosion. The H1 and N680 hold an edge rather well, Victorinox not so much. Surprizingly, 440C is a good choiice too. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge pretty well and resists corrosion quite well. Just about everything else (S330V, S35V, VG-10, 154CM, ATS-34) I have had to silicone on a regular basis to keep the edge from degrading from rust and keep surface rust from forming.

Personally I like Spyderco's Pacific salt and the Benchmade 915 triage as my top two.

Also like Spyderco Military, Boker Ceramic*, Cold Steel Pro-Lite**, SOG Vision, Benchmade 741 Onslaught.

* Ceramic knives come with their own set of issues. i.e. Don't drop it or side load it.
    **Out of production but can still be found online.

Hope this helps :)

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    When choosing an EDC knife repeat this to yourself until it sticks: "Practical, then tactical"

The knife you choose will be used for everyday stuff way more than self defense, but should be able to be used for self defense should the need arise. So it should be tough, lightweight, comfortable to use, and easy to sharpen/maintain.

I wouldn't pick anything with a recurve blade (ZT for example) because they are a little bit of a pain to sharpen properly (but if you have the tools to do, i.e. ceramic rods, then more power to you)

While multifunction and design are nice, make sure that none of the stuff hanging off the knife interfere with quick deployment (The Mantis MTF-4-ti is guilty of this. Looks like a great knife until you use it)

Pick a locking design you are comfortable with and trust. I like liner locks and Axis locks but you might be different. Ditto with opening method.

Pick a blade design that will work for your needs. Remember that you will most likely be using this knife for opening mail, packages etc 99.9% of the time so while a tactical blade may look cool, a drop point blade may be a better choice.

Research and choose a steel. One of the biggest problems I have found with EDC knives in MD is the humidity and condensation eroding the edge and steel on my knives. The best I have found thus far is Spyderco's H1, Victorinox, and Benchmades N680 are the best at resisting corrosion. The H1 and N680 hold an edge rather well, Victorinox not so much. Surprizingly, 440C is a good choiice too. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge pretty well and resists corrosion quite well. Just about everything else (S330V, S35V, VG-10, 154CM, ATS-34) I have had to silicone on a regular basis to keep the edge from degrading from rust and keep surface rust from forming.

Personally I like Spyderco's Pacific salt and the Benchmade 915 triage as my top two.

Also like Spyderco Military, Boker Ceramic*, Cold Steel Pro-Lite**, SOG Vision, Benchmade 741 Onslaught.

* Ceramic knives come with their own set of issues. i.e. Don't drop it or side load it.
    **Out of production but can still be found online.

Hope this helps :)

Those are all great considerations. I am sure this wont be my only purchase thats for sure. I was actually really torn between the CR and the Spyderco's. I liked the paramilitary but it just didnt seem very robust. I might have to look into the Spydercos pacific salt next. (But then again I think its time for a SBR in 300 BLK :D!!! This is a gun forum right :P)

Oh I was about to say.. I spy a Sebenza 21 at the bottom there.. :)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Those are all great considerations. I am sure this wont be my only purchase thats for sure. I was actually really torn between the CR and the Spyderco's. I liked the paramilitary but it just didnt seem very robust. I might have to look into the Spydercos pacific salt next. (But then again I think its time for a SBR in 300 BLK :D!!! This is a gun forum right :P)

Oh I was about to say.. I spy a Sebenza 21 at the bottom there.. :)

The spyderco paramilitary might not look like much but it is a tough as hell knife. Same with the salt series.

BTW, a pacific salt will set you back a whopping $60. I used a Pacific Salt as a work knife when I worked in water treatment plants. It was used as a hammer, prybar, bottle opener, copper wire cutter and got it soaked in 25% Sulfuric Acid, 50% Caustic Soda and Sodium Hypochlorite (on different occasions). The blade did get stained from the Sulfuric and the handle got lightened on one side from the Hypochlorite but it kept on truckin until I lost it. Can't say enough good stuff about them.

*edit* Looks like you picked up a Sebenza. Congrats. Sweet knife

Last edited:

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    The spyderco paramilitary might not look like much but it is a tough as hell knife. Same with the salt series.

BTW, a pacific salt will set you back a whopping $60. I used a Pacific Salt as a work knife when I worked in water treatment plants. It was used as a hammer, prybar, bottle opener, copper wire cutter and got it soaked in 25% Sulfuric Acid, 50% Caustic Soda and Sodium Hypochlorite (on different occasions). The blade did get stained from the Sulfuric and the handle got lightened on one side from the Hypochlorite but it kept on truckin until I lost it. Can't say enough good stuff about them.

*edit* Looks like you picked up a Sebenza. Congrats. Sweet knife

Wow.. That is impressive :thumbsup:. I will definitely need to pick one up.

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    So just a little update: I use this knife all the time. Man this thing is sharrrppp!! I haven't had any time to sharpen it anymore, but I don't think this thing needs to be yet. This definitely wont be a show knife. Its a little larger of a knife than I am use to carrying but thats a good thing, it makes it harder to loose :)

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Good to hear you're putting the knife through its paces. If you ever end up putting a convex edge on it... watch out! She'll be like a straight razor then with that hollow-grind.

Don't worry about her not looking pretty. For a few dollars, you can send it back to CRK for a "spa" - they'll sharpen, re-finish the blade and handle and whatever else you'd like.

And, check out CRK's belt leather pouches if you ever consider carrying it on a belt.

:thumbsup:

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    Good to hear you're putting the knife through its paces. If you ever end up putting a convex edge on it... watch out! She'll be like a straight razor then with that hollow-grind.

Don't worry about her not looking pretty. For a few dollars, you can send it back to CRK for a "spa" - they'll sharpen, re-finish the blade and handle and whatever else you'd like.

And, check out CRK's belt leather pouches if you ever consider carrying it on a belt.

:thumbsup:

Is it a free spa day??

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    $500 EDC blade? F--- that.. i'll stick with my kershaw. at least if it gets taken by some ******* cop or lost its easily replaceable.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    $500 EDC blade? F--- that.. i'll stick with my kershaw. at least if it gets taken by some ******* cop or lost its easily replaceable.

And the dude that carries a $5 Chinese knock-off thinks you're crazy for carrying your $50 Kershaw. So, there ya go.

:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom