• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It's a 510. Nobody knows exactly how many were imported but it's probably a couple thousand at least. My understanding is that they never really imported them in batches but rather on a per order basis. SIG either didn't keep track or never released the information. They pop on GB from time to time and you may get lucky and run across one in a shop. Current value depending on condition is about 5-7K.

it was officially replaced by the 55x series (chambered in the 5.56 GP90 cartridge) in 1990. Here are a couple 551's:

Both are absolutely exemplary rifles and the finest/most refined I've ever shot in their respective calibers.

PALYDIN11

Jan 26, 2013
    Ocean City, MD
    bdrx-1761__31872.1556871973.png

BDRx-10 F1 Firearms AR10

Impressive. That looks like a light rifle too.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    Impressive. That looks like a light rifle too.

Light, but at the expense of reliability. Look at all those cuts in the upper receiver to let dirt and grime in.

How much battle will this "battle rifle" see? If you want a race gun, then just get a 5.56 with all the practicality removed from it and be done with it, dispense with any pretenses of being a weapon for the engagement and killing of enemies.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Light, but at the expense of reliability. Look at all those cuts in the upper receiver to let dirt and grime in.

How much battle will this "battle rifle" see? If you want a race gun, then just get a 5.56 with all the practicality removed from it and be done with it, dispense with any pretenses of being a weapon for the engagement and killing of enemies.

For that matter, none of these are proper modern battle rifles unless they are full auto. All of the ones mentioned here are really for recreational shooting of some sort, and/or collecting.

My previous responses to this thread were more tongue in cheek than anything.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    For that matter, none of these are proper modern battle rifles unless they are full auto.

Have to disagree completely.

I carried an M-14 for a couple of years. It was a Battle Rifle, and it was not full auto.

Most Battle Rifles firing full auto, while not totally worthless, are close to it.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There are specific definitions for a Main Battle Rifle and an Assault Rifle. The MBR has to fire a full power cartridge...such as 7.62x51, .30-06, .303 Brit, 7.62x54 Rooskie, etc. It can be a bolt-action or semi-auto and could be select-fire but not necessarily so. Examples are the M14, M1 Garand, 1903 and 1903A3, British SMLE, Mosin-Nagant, FN-FAL, G3 and others.

An Assault Rifle has to have five specific attribute...
    1) it must be a carbine,
    2) it must fire an intermediate cartridge such as 5.56x45, 7.62x39,
    3) it must be fed by a detachable box magazine,
    4) it must fire by a locked breach,
    5) it must be select-fire.

Absent any of the five attributes it is not an assault rifle. That is a distinction either lost on politicians and media people or deliberately disregarded by them. It's also lost on many pro-gun people as well.

The definitions have existed since WWII and are based on the German StG. 44 which was the first true assault rifle and set the design parameters. If the M1 Carbine had been select-fire from the beginning it would have been the first true assault rifle.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Have to disagree completely.

I carried an M-14 for a couple of years. It was a Battle Rifle, and it was not full auto.

Most Battle Rifles firing full auto, while not totally worthless, are close to it.

Actually the M-14 WAS capable of full auto (select fire probably better term to describe M14's), it's just the army recognized the uncontrollable nature of the beast without a lot of practice and they placed lockouts on most of them for practical use. Full auto had a selector switch with A on one side facing the shooter when in full auto mode and blank when in semi-auto mode. The lock was just a stub sticking out the receiver where the select fire switch should have been. It prevented the connector from actuating the secondary sear release.

At least that's my take on it from reading 'M14 Rifle History and Development', Fifth Edition, Volumes I-IV by Lee Emerson

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    IMO, "real" assault rifles are select fire and chamber an intermediate cartridge. A few days ago, I spent some time at the range with some examples of what I consider to be real assault rifles and they are anything but worthless in full auto mode:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Not all of those are mine, just one. I drove out to Missouri to see a friend and spend some time at the range. He had what I'd consider an "assault machine gun" too, an Ultimax 100 MK II:

Despite it only weighing about 10 lbs, it's dead level in full auto fire from the shoulder. Mr. Sullivan really did an amazing job on mitigating recoil with a double spring design. Some of the MG's other aspects.....not so much. Still, it's a rare bird that I was happy to get a chance to shoot.

BUT.....we're off topic. Sorry about that.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Actually the M-14 WAS capable of full auto (select fire probably better term to describe M14's)

Correct, all "M-14" rifles are considered machine guns, as they were built with a selector switch.

My USMC issued "U.S. Military Springfield M-14" was Ser# 183260, and built in 1959. But the fun switch had been removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom