• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I believe they'll yell at you for pointing a shotgun at the ground.

I get it. Those rules exclude 99% of the jack-wagons. Being in PG County not far from DC/Anacostia/etc., it's probably based on experience. They're still Fudds though. :)

Yeah, I am putting your opinion in the "not worth my time" category.

You obviously have not shot enough at PG to even understand the culture there. I've been shooting there since 1993. I have never been yelled at for pointing a muzzle at the ground, and nobody I have shot with has been yelled at for that.

You must be confusing PG with AGC. Now at AGC, the very first, and only, time I went there to shoot trap, I got YELLED at for sweeping the adjacent trap field while moving from station 5 to station 1. Mind you, my o/u was broken open. The "sweeping" happened when I bent down to pick up an empty. At PG, when your gun is broken open, they don't care where the muzzle is pointed. At AGC, they pretty much have a stroke and a heart attack all in one. Probably an aneurysm too.

Now, the second or third time I was at PG with some buddies from high school and my brothers, a buddy was shooting my Browning BPS with bottom eject and he did sweep a guy with the action closed. Man, a couple of old farts, one of which was CD (RIP), jumped down his throat. They started yelling, and me being an alpha male too, I started yelling back.

This is the thing about gun ranges, lots of alpha males that feel the need to yell. I learned in my early 20's that people can be corrected after the fact just by talking to them, and it is way more receptive. I mean, after the sweeping has already occurred, and the muzzle is no longer being pointed at somebody, what is the reason for the yelling and berating?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I mean, after the sweeping has already occurred, and the muzzle is no longer being pointed at somebody, what is the reason for the yelling and berating?

The point is that 20 years later you remember how important that rule is and you never want to break it again.
    (I’m not a big fan of yelling but sometimes that’s what it takes to get the job done)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The point is that 20 years later you remember how important that rule is and you never want to break it again.
    (I’m not a big fan of yelling but sometimes that’s what it takes to get the job done)

Yeah, yelling works on some people. With me, 20 years later that is the last time I shot there.

I knew way before I went to shoot at PG about the importance of muzzle control. It was taught to me by my dad, without any yelling. The worst way my dad could attempt to teach me anything, was by yelling at me. Same goes for anybody else. Start yelling at me, and my learning receptors turn off and I just get pissed off or I realize I have won the debate. Pretty tough for somebody to teach me anything or change my mind on their position when they are yelling at me.

After CD, the other guy, and I finished yelling at one another, there was no more yelling between us after that for as long as I continued to see them at the range.

It takes a lot to get me to yell at my kids. I have to be really pissed off at their not listening to me. Guess all the yelling works for the military. Heck, need to yell in combat situations just to be heard, so might as well train the newbs to expect that.

Guess the yelling is part of range culture and the alpha males that go there. Wonder if they would yell at some 12 year old girls that are at the range, or some pretty little ladies? I really do wonder.

We will have to agree to disagree on how I have learned my lessons in life.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    The Fudd is strong there. I could sense it the few times I've been.

Agree, I've learned to look out for the conversation starting with "...what we are really talking about is where to draw the line..." Referring to gun control and private citizens owning AR style weapons; this person thinks not, not needed. There are plenty of other examples.

Some of the regular shooters understand the 2nd amendment, in that they would agree with the general thoughts on this forum, they just don't talk about it or otherwise initiate these types of conversation.

I'm working on my co-workers, the kids lets call them, they are a work in progress... Their parents lack of understanding, their schools indoctrination and the media, smh.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Agree, I've learned to look out for the conversation starting with "...what we are really talking about is where to draw the line..." Referring to gun control and private citizens owning AR style weapons; this person thinks not, not needed. There are plenty of other examples.

Some of the regular shooters understand the 2nd amendment, in that they would agree with the general thoughts on this forum, they just don't talk about it or otherwise initiate these types of conversation.

I'm working on my co-workers, the kids lets call them, they are a work in progress... Their parents lack of understanding, their schools indoctrination and the media, smh.

The line should be drawn at nuclear missiles. Everything else, the ordinary citizen should be able to own IF they can afford it.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    As to the yelling: I've yelled stop/ cease fire once.

This was the situation: Field 5, normally used as a skeet field, three people probably in there 20's early 30's, 2 females one male, on the field all wearing eyes and ears, one gun. The cause leading up to the problem in my opinion was the presence of one picture camera and one video camera. On my up from the Wobble stand pictures and video were being taken, no safety issued noticed; it also wasn't my field to be watching; I watch anyways. On my way back down, the male shooter was on Station 5, the video lady was behind and to his right, the picture lady was standing where station 2 or 3 would be on a trap field, he apparently already shot at the high house target, he was preparing to shoot the low house target, yeah I stopped them.

hmmm, I should write a book... If only I could write, spell or type.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    As to the yelling: I've yelled stop/ cease fire once.

This was the situation: Field 5, normally used as a skeet field, three people probably in there 20's early 30's, 2 females one male, on the field all wearing eyes and ears, one gun. The cause leading up to the problem in my opinion was the presence of one picture camera and one video camera. On my up from the Wobble stand pictures and video were being taken, no safety issued noticed; it also wasn't my field to be watching; I watch anyways. On my way back down, the male shooter was on Station 5, the video lady was behind and to his right, the picture lady was standing where station 2 or 3 would be on a trap field, he apparently already shot at the high house target, he was preparing to shoot the low house target, yeah I stopped them.

hmmm, I should write a book... If only I could write, spell or type.

Yes, there are times when yelling is appropriate.

For instance, if somebody is getting ready to fire a gun at a paper target and you happen to see a moron behind it down field, yelling is appropriate. When somebody's life is actually in danger, and yelling could save a life, it is extremely appropriate. However, to yell at somebody after the danger has passed is just............

Kind of like me yelling at my child after a bad grade is brought home. No need for yelling at that point. Just need to decide on punishment and how to work up some sort of plan to help with future schooling.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Fudd Schmudd, I don't want every jackwagon who walks in off the street sweeping the line with a short barreled gun. It takes a LOT of muzzle discipline to keep a 20" barrel pointed at the ground. If that's what a person brings to shoot clay pigeons you can surmise that they don't shoot much and therefore don't have good safe gun handling habits. The best thing for everyone is to leave them at home.
    One of the local clubs had a riot gun trap shoot at AGC a few years ago. That was a lot of fun and people were breaking out all their gangster guns.

How are they supposed to shoot, and learn safe habits if they are chased off by people scared of their scary black guns?

If the person is doing something incorrectly, then they should be corrected and taught the proper form regardless of what type of shotgun they can afford or how long they have been in the sport.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Does anyone know if PG county Trap and Skeet has reopened? I tried to call a few times last week and it rang through to voicemail.

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    I finally got through to someone at the facility. PG county will resume operations beginning 7/1. They will not be renting firearms, and you must have a reservation to shoot.

I told the person, “I always have reservations about traveling near DC”, he didn’t find it funny.

trap

Sep 26, 2010
    Germantown
    I talked to the guys at PG Skeet & Trap and I was told that reservation is needed in order to shoot Sporting Clays but not for Trap or Skeet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom