• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Spent the better part of the afternoon today checking my Excalibur Vortex crossbow's POA and the arrows/broadheads I use for hunting. I am finally now sitting down to a heavy dose of motrin and beer... holy crap I've must've cocked that damned crossbow's string 30 times this afternoon... :sad20:

Impact of the bolts into my block target were not consistent as I was used to with this machine. I was getting A LOT of flyers; and I couldn't figure it out. Was shooting from a good rest, bolts/fletching/Bone Crusher broadheads looked good... and I was really getting quite perturbed as to what was amiss.

Last thing I could think of, was to remove the Excalibur VariPower scope. Which I did, and then I installed the rear peep/front optical sight. Guess what...

...no more flyers. Seemed that the scope took a serious crap on me. It was tight on the rail and that wasn't the issue; no looseness at all. Something has gone south inside of it.

Scope is now in the trash can.

There was no way that I was going to hunt deer with it until I figured out what was wrong with it. Now... it is ready.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Glad you figured it out been there can be very aggravating. Thinking of a few stories I could tell. Only difference when things are going wrong I say goin North . Good luck hunting hope I find some time .

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Them damn crosbows shake the crap out of stuff more than guns do. You need to loc-tight the bolts and it likely damaged the scope from the same vibrations. Are you buying new scope or just iron sighting it?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Them damn crosbows shake the crap out of stuff more than guns do. You need to loc-tight the bolts and it likely damaged the scope from the same vibrations. Are you buying new scope or just iron sighting it?

Currently I’m just running the standard rear peep/fiber illuminated front dot site. Have it set for 20 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom