• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drone424

Dec 15, 2014
    Hello all, it looks like I will unfortunately be moving to me within 1-2 years and I had a question for you all before I go ahead and ask the state police. I have a WII tavor sar with a 16 inch barrel, which is obviously banned in md currently, but I'm wondering if it would be khosher to replace the barrel with an 18in as the 18in tavor sar is not banned. Opinions? Link to the barrel with new bolt from IWI.

https://iwi.us/product/tavor-sar-5-56-nato-barrel-bolt-kit-right-hand/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The issue for you is achieving a 29in OAL .

The usual solution has been to pin & weld a muzzle device of sufficient length to make length .

IWI's " Official Maryland Compliant " version has the 16.5in bbl, with permanent attatched 3.5in muzzle device for a 30in OAL .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When did you purchase it?

If purchased before 10/1/13, it is legal in MD.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Don’t move to MD, move to VA or PA and commute in while retaining your rights. You’ll regret moving to MD and giving up your freedoms.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Good luck in the move and I truly wish you the best. Misery loves company but if I could move I would . And I am never really sure why anyone would choose to move here on purpose .

I if had a choice to move would be to WVA

Drone424

Dec 15, 2014
    Afterwards unfortunately :(

Alas I would be moving due to my significant other getting a job in MD and it being too far of a commute for her from NoVA. Also contemplating selling it and purchasing a cz805a1 pistol and carbine since those are not banned. I just hate to give up one of my favorite platforms because of the stupid overall length.

Drone424

Dec 15, 2014
    However the OAL f the 18in SAR being 27.625" a pinned and welded muzzle brake would not be too hard to get it to 29in

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Alas I would be moving due to my significant other getting a job in MD and it being too far of a commute for her from NoVA. Also contemplating selling it and purchasing a cz805a1 pistol and carbine since those are not banned. I just hate to give up one of my favorite platforms because of the stupid overall length.
    Did you buy it new or used? From a dealer or Face-to-Face transaction.

How long after 10/1/2013 did you purchase?

I advocate breaking NO laws.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX

Unless she makes a LOT of money, divorce her and stay away from Maryland! I was stuck in Maryland for over 50 years - it is a trap, RUN!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just pin & weld a muzzle device, like the Marylanders do , much less expensive than replacing the bbl .

If it's too far from NoVa , that just means you'd be in range of Pa .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You might think we're just joshing the new guy , but we're serious . Moving to Md is the second worst geographical decision you can make . ( Only if you are coming from New Jersey , would Md be a comparitive improvement .)

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016

Keep in mind the likelihood that anyone ever hassles you over this rifle. How many times do you see the State Police checking over people’s firearms to ensure they are all legal? Who’s to say you didn’t purchase the firearm before 2013?

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    You might think we're just joshing the new guy , but we're serious . Moving to Md is the second worst geographical decision you can make . ( Only if you are coming from New Jersey , would Md be a comparitive improvement .)

Yeah pretty funny how none of us suggest moving here. You’d think that would be enough, but some people don’t take our word for it!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    "Significant Other", means you're not married, correct? If so, find another "Other", even if less significant; or hell, maybe not significant at all!

I would take having no "other" rather than moving to md. Seriously.

Oh, and as for the pay she'll make PLEASE be sure that she is looking at the cost of things here. $7 for a beer if you're out, taxed for the rain that falls on your home, hour+ long commute to go 20 miles or less, $400k for a vertical trailer (called a town house here). That "big" paycheck does NOT go far here, plus you're miserable in a place like this. Life is too short..........

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    "Significant Other", means you're not married, correct? If so, find another "Other", even if less significant; or hell, maybe not significant at all!

I would take having no "other" rather than moving to md. Seriously.

Oh, and as for the pay she'll make PLEASE be sure that she is looking at the cost of things here. $7 for a beer if you're out, taxed for the rain that falls on your home, hour+ long commute to go 20 miles or less, $400k for a vertical trailer (called a town house here). That "big" paycheck does NOT go far here, plus you're miserable in a place like this. Life is too short..........

this^^^

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Got stationed in MD. It took 31 years to escape to Free America. Lived through Governor Shameful, Spendening and Owe-Malley (the worst). Avoid it if you can.

Drone424

Dec 15, 2014
    Well I grew up in MD, I don't see it being that bad since I'm bringing all the 30rd mags I can grab before I move back. Not the biggest fan of ar15s or ak47s to begin with, I've owned a few but they don't really "do" it for me if that makes any sense.

Also I bought the tavor approximately in 2016, seeing how I was 17 when the October ban took place I don't think there's any logical way I can explain buying a new firearm pre 2013 :(
    I will probably sell the tavor and take my trigger pack out of it... And wait until I find a used 18in barrel tavor for sale in Virginia on vaguntrader and then an actually useful muzzle device onto the new tavor to meet oal requirements. Anybody know somebody in Virginia looking for a bushmaster ar15 that I'll have to part with? Literally brand new in box never fired

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom