Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Notices

Old September 12th, 2017, 01:40 PM #1

Hunter Education Course Book

Does anybody have access to the hunter education course book. My 8 year old son wants to take the course and the related exam, but I would like to review the course book and have him review it too before we take the class together. Essentially, I want to prepare him for the exam and the field day ahead of time.

If anybody has the course book in pdf format, can you please e-mail it to me at fabsroman@aol.com. Thanks

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 01:43 PM #2
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Here is the online study guide:

https://www.hunter-ed.com/maryland/studyGuide/201021/
Old September 12th, 2017, 01:58 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post
Thank you very much. I just left a voicemail with DNR asking for a pdf file of the coursebook, but this will probably work better for him. He can look at all of that on his tablet. He is so excited to go hunting. Reminds me of when I was his age. My soon to be 5 year old daughter is pissed that she cannot take the course and go hunting, but I told her she cannot take the course until she learns how to read and write. Now, she is bugging me to teach her how to read and write. lol

Took the two of them fishing for the first time a couple weeks ago. Probably should not have considering my health status, but their smiles and the pics were worth the pain. They caught their first fish together, which was a 2 inch croaker. They caught another croaker after that. I got nothing. They were so excited. Now, they both want fishing birthday parties. No idea how I am going to accomplish that, but I guess it can be done.

Thanks again for the link.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
Old September 12th, 2017, 02:03 PM #4
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

FWIW when I took my 8 year old to the class I sat next to him and let the teacher do the teaching. During breaks I'd review or emphasize something I thought was important. I wanted him to hear it from someone other than dad.
If he fails, let him fail. He'll be sure to learn it the next time around.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 02:05 PM #5
Peanut Gallery

Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
Thank you very much. I just left a voicemail with DNR asking for a pdf file of the coursebook, but this will probably work better for him. He can look at all of that on his tablet. He is so excited to go hunting. Reminds me of when I was his age. My soon to be 5 year old daughter is pissed that she cannot take the course and go hunting, but I told her she cannot take the course until she learns how to read and write. Now, she is bugging me to teach her how to read and write. lol

Took the two of them fishing for the first time a couple weeks ago. Probably should not have considering my health status, but their smiles and the pics were worth the pain. They caught their first fish together, which was a 2 inch croaker. They caught another croaker after that. I got nothing. They were so excited. Now, they both want fishing birthday parties. No idea how I am going to accomplish that, but I guess it can be done.

Thanks again for the link.
Good for her .. gives her incentive to learn to read and write.
Old September 12th, 2017, 02:06 PM #6
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

You have another option available this year. Apprentice hunting, the child cannot hunt alone if they have an apprentice hunting license. Can only hunt 1 year in their life time.

What to do (step by step instructions): http://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Ap...se-DNR-ID.aspx

The 8 question test with videos: http://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Ap...ense-Test.aspx
Old September 12th, 2017, 02:16 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
FWIW when I took my 8 year old to the class I sat next to him and let the teacher do the teaching. During breaks I'd review or emphasize something I thought was important. I wanted him to hear it from someone other than dad.
If he fails, let him fail. He'll be sure to learn it the next time around.
I agree he needs to listen in class. He is motivated, so I doubt this is going to be an issue for him. He wants to come hunting with dad and nonno. However, if he cannot get an 80% on the exam, that is his problem. It will also be the first exam he does not do well on, but if it is the case, it will be a good life lesson. Kind of like me failing the motorcycle learners permit exam because I skipped the drinking and driving portion of the course book since I don't drink. Lo and behold, there were DUI questions on the computer exam. Probably best I never got the learner's permit.

Thing is, he believes what I say is gospel, so I want to make sure I am telling him what the teacher/course will tell him. He is asking a lot of questions, as all 8 year old kids do, and I want to make sure I am giving him answers that mesh with the coursework.

The part that worries me the most is the field test. He has not had enough time behind a gun, so I need to try and remedy that over the next couple of weeks.

Old September 12th, 2017, 02:18 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post
You have another option available this year. Apprentice hunting, the child cannot hunt alone if they have an apprentice hunting license. Can only hunt 1 year in their life time.

What to do (step by step instructions): http://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Ap...se-DNR-ID.aspx

The 8 question test with videos: http://dnr.maryland.gov/nrp/Pages/Ap...ense-Test.aspx
I saw that, but I think I would prefer for him to get the Hunter Safety Course card and an actual license IF he can pass the course. The apprentice hunter program is a decent program to see if hunting interests a person before going through a 10+ hour course, but I already know he is extremely interested in it. He was bugging me all of last year and the year before that.

Old September 12th, 2017, 02:21 PM #9
Peanut Gallery

Peanut Gallery

Field test:. If he doesn't break the firearms handling/safety rules.. he be gtg.

Practice with a toy rifle or alike.. keep finger of the trigger and watch where he points the muzzle.. the rest is just overview what's learned in the class.
Old September 12th, 2017, 02:55 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx1x View Post
Field test:. If he doesn't break the firearms handling/safety rules.. he be gtg.

Practice with a toy rifle or alike.. keep finger of the trigger and watch where he points the muzzle.. the rest is just overview what's learned in the class.
He's been shooting before, and he knows what the firearms rules of safety are. It is the live fire part that I am worried about. He knows how to load the 20 gauge Beretta 391, but that is about all he has ever shot. I was going to take him to a range and let him shoot my 10/22, but reading through all the courses, it appears that some of the courses provide the firearm and ammo.

I was thinking about attending the Sanner Lake one in November, but that is his last soccer game, so that is probably out. Hardest part of all of this might be working the course into his/my schedule. Soccer, drama club, school, possibly band, etc. Life is just too complicated.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports