Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:01 AM #41
boundlessdyad's Avatar
boundlessdyad boundlessdyad is online now
boundlessdyad
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: HoCo
Posts: 15,754
boundlessdyad boundlessdyad is online now
boundlessdyad
boundlessdyad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: HoCo
Posts: 15,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstop View Post
This thread reminds me of Ohio's law that allows open carry, but restricts having a loaded firearm in a car without a CCW permit.
Works the same way in Pennsylvania
Although in Pennsylvania you can carry a loaded handgun in your car with a carry permit from any state.
boundlessdyad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:01 AM #42
Jumpmaster!'s Avatar
Jumpmaster! Jumpmaster! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 46
Images: 6
Jumpmaster! Jumpmaster! is offline
Junior Member
Jumpmaster!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 46
Images: 6
Citizens of states that follow the Constitution don't have this problem. Misguided politicians in Maryland use the law to impose their will on the people.
Jumpmaster! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:03 AM #43
boundlessdyad's Avatar
boundlessdyad boundlessdyad is online now
boundlessdyad
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: HoCo
Posts: 15,754
boundlessdyad boundlessdyad is online now
boundlessdyad
boundlessdyad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: HoCo
Posts: 15,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
What is says is that LEOSA exempts eligible people from state and local laws, with 2 exceptions.

The state/local gov is still allowed to ban carry on thier property.

Private people are still allowed to ban carry on their private property.

The last I payed attention, it was illegal to conceal carry in a bar in Virginia. LEOSA exempts qualified people from that law. However, a owner of a bar is still allowed to ban carry, and LEOSA does not exempt that.

There is more to the law and some amendments also. You can't be prohibited under federal law. You can be under the influence of drugs/alcohol.

One amendment exempted qualified people from ammo restrictions. The mag capacity limits are not exempted.

One that you may be confusing is that carry used to be banned in federal parks. The amendment did not make it legal or illegal. It said that in federal parks, it will be up to the state to allow or not based on their state carry laws.


There is no federal law that says that LEOSA doesn't allow conceal carry but local permit holders may.

Speaking of public schools, they are gov property and the gov can ban carry on gov property. There are states that don't allow carry on school property. Some of them have an exemption for people that have a concealed carry permit. LEOSA is not a conceal carry permit and would not apply to the exemption.




There is a lot to LEOSA. It is not very restrictive but it is not unrestricted either. NRA-ILA has a lot of info on it.
Your understanding of the law is flawed. A private citizen in these circumstances cannot ban carry of a gun on their property. What they are in fact banning is trespassing by a person carrying a weapon. There is a huge difference.
boundlessdyad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:03 AM #44
Blaster229's Avatar
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 24,386
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
Blaster229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 24,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
What is says is that LEOSA exempts eligible people from state and local laws, with 2 exceptions.

The state/local gov is still allowed to ban carry on thier property.

Private people are still allowed to ban carry on their private property.

The last I payed attention, it was illegal to conceal carry in a bar in Virginia. LEOSA exempts qualified people from that law. However, a owner of a bar is still allowed to ban carry, and LEOSA does not exempt that.

There is more to the law and some amendments also. You can't be prohibited under federal law. You can be under the influence of drugs/alcohol.

One amendment exempted qualified people from ammo restrictions. The mag capacity limits are not exempted.

One that you may be confusing is that carry used to be banned in federal parks. The amendment did not make it legal or illegal. It said that in federal parks, it will be up to the state to allow or not based on their state carry laws.


There is no federal law that says that LEOSA doesn't allow conceal carry but local permit holders may.

Speaking of public schools, they are gov property and the gov can ban carry on gov property. There are states that don't allow carry on school property. Some of them have an exemption for people that have a concealed carry permit. LEOSA is not a conceal carry permit and would not apply to the exemption.




There is a lot to LEOSA. It is not very restrictive but it is not unrestricted either. NRA-ILA has a lot of info on it.
I think to just not over think it. Don't carry where the locals cannot and you're good to go.
__________________
Do the do's. Don't do the don'ts.
Blaster229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:15 AM #45
1time 1time is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 970
1time 1time is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by boundlessdyad View Post
Your understanding of the law is flawed. A private citizen in these circumstances cannot ban carry of a gun on their property. What they are in fact banning is trespassing by a person carrying a weapon. There is a huge difference.
In Maryland, yes. Plenty of states the "no gun signs" have weight of law. If you are carrying in one of those businesses under LEOSA you are in violation and therefore not covered under LEOSA. As such, you may be charged with a concealed carry violation.

LEOSA is a different animal than concealed carry permits. In some area's it is less restrictive, other area's it is more restrictive. One example is the firearm you can carry. What are the restrictions of what type of handgun can be carried in Maryland with a permit? None, right? For LEOSA, you have to pick a revolver or semi auto to qualify with. You can only choose 1 and can only carry that. I can carry a Glock all day in DC, Jersey, NY. If I were to carry a revolver, LEOSA would not cover me and I could be charged with a handgun violation.
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:17 AM #46
Blaster229's Avatar
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 24,386
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
Blaster229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 24,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
In Maryland, yes. Plenty of states the "no gun signs" have weight of law. If you are carrying in one of those businesses under LEOSA you are in violation and therefore not covered under LEOSA. As such, you may be charged with a concealed carry violation.

LEOSA is a different animal than concealed carry permits. In some area's it is less restrictive, other area's it is more restrictive. One example is the firearm you can carry. What is the restrictions of what type of handgun can be carried in Maryland with a permit? None, right? For LEOSA, you have to pick a revolver or semi auto to qualify with. You can only choose 1 and can only carry that. I can carry a Glock all day in DC, Jersey, NY. If I were to carry a revolver, LEOSA would not cover me and I could be charged with a handgun violation.
Who will charge you?
__________________
Do the do's. Don't do the don'ts.
Blaster229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:24 AM #47
DanGuy48 DanGuy48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 1,933
DanGuy48 DanGuy48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvee View Post
Driving through Maryland since you would possibly be transporting outside of the Maryland allowable reasons, I would transport according to FOPA. Unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk if one is available otherwise behind the seat in the truck.


""Safe Passage" provision

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another has a defense for any State firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment.[11]

This section has also been interpreted to protect air travel[12]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire...Protection_Act
__________________
NRA Life Member
Member MSI, SAF
NRA certified RSO, Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:29 AM #48
1time 1time is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 970
1time 1time is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Md
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Who will charge you?
In all likely hood, no one. I have carried a gun every day for the last 20 years and have never been questioned by LE or anyone else. If I was ever spotted they kept quiet about it. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. For me it is better to follow the law than to risk even a tiny chance of being burned.
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:40 AM #49
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14,824
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvee View Post
Driving through Maryland since you would possibly be transporting outside of the Maryland allowable reasons, I would transport according to FOPA. Unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk if one is available otherwise behind the seat in the truck.
Locked in case is not required in the trunk under FOPA.

If there is no trunk (SUV, pickup), then EITHER the firearm or ammunition must be in locked container.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:53 AM #50
Redcobra's Avatar
Redcobra Redcobra is offline
Senior Shooter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 5,326
Redcobra Redcobra is offline
Senior Shooter
Redcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 5,326
What about one of these behind the seat in a truck (but not bolted to the floor).
Gunvault GV1000S Mini Vault Standard Gun Safe
__________________
RedCobra

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."--Ben Franklin

Doesn't own any guns, but loves Guerinis.
All recently lost in the Bay prior to 10/1/13

Member - AGC, LRSTC, MSI, NRA (Life)
Homewood Rifle and Pistol Club
NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
US Army Veteran
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:00 AM #51
danb's Avatar
danb danb is offline
These are not your droids
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 11,464
danb danb is offline
These are not your droids
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 11,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by boundlessdyad View Post
Worst post of the thread.

Really? How many laws do you think you break a day? Not better than a Baltimore thug? I disagree. I am not advocating breaking unconstitutional laws but I won't sh1t talk those who make the choice.

A free man following the supreme law of the land that understands "shall not be infringed" should not be compared to a Baltimore thug.
If we are being intellectually honest, and I hope we are, people out of jail should be deemed no danger to society (otherwise, why release them) and have their gun (voting etc.) rights restored. Hence, they should be allowed to carry to protect themselves too. And if we are further being honest, I strongly disagree with drug laws, they have given the state excuses to violate 4th and 5th amendment rights too.

Unfortunately, the "supreme law" is what >=5 Justices say it is, and so far they have not said Maryland carry laws (or federal drug laws) are unconstitutional. Until then, no matter how strongly I disagree, I do not think we should be advocating breaking them in Maryland. Breaking laws for convenience or to make a buck is the essence of Baltimore. On the plus side, it would seem to me a retired police officer could make a strong case to get a permit. Problem solved.
__________________
"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions...d/115084.p.pdf
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:28 AM #52
eruby's Avatar
eruby eruby is offline
Confederate Jew
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 14,325
eruby eruby is offline
Confederate Jew
eruby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 14,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
If we are being intellectually honest, and I hope we are, people out of jail should be deemed no danger to society (otherwise, why release them) and have their gun (voting etc.) rights restored. Hence, they should be allowed to carry to protect themselves too. And if we are further being honest, I strongly disagree with drug laws, they have given the state excuses to violate 4th and 5th amendment rights too.

Unfortunately, the "supreme law" is what >=5 Justices say it is, and so far they have not said Maryland carry laws (or federal drug laws) are unconstitutional. Until then, no matter how strongly I disagree, I do not think we should be advocating breaking them in Maryland. Breaking laws for convenience or to make a buck is the essence of Baltimore. On the plus side, it would seem to me a retired police officer could make a strong case to get a permit. Problem solved.
To quote Isaac Hayes, "you're damn right."
__________________
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Beat your ploughshares into swords, and your pruning-hooks into spears; let the weakling say, ‘I am strong.’ Joel 3 : 10
eruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:32 AM #53
swinokur's Avatar
swinokur swinokur is online now
In a State of Denial
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stalag Montgomery
Posts: 36,695
swinokur swinokur is online now
In a State of Denial
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stalag Montgomery
Posts: 36,695
He's a complicated man and no one understands him but his woman.

He's takkin' 'bout Shaft
__________________
swinokur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:46 AM #54
molonlabe's Avatar
molonlabe molonlabe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mountaineer Country, WV
Posts: 2,492
molonlabe molonlabe is offline
Senior Member
molonlabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mountaineer Country, WV
Posts: 2,492
Never carried in Wisconsin or Maryland. Knowing I would move to a free state I did not want to risk being a prohibited person and kissing my permit goodby. Carried in PA and Virginia with my Florida CCW.
__________________
The United States Constitution
© 1791. All Rights Reserved.
molonlabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:30 AM #55
lowoncash's Avatar
lowoncash lowoncash is offline
Navy & VT Grad Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calvert county
Posts: 1,843
Images: 3
lowoncash lowoncash is offline
Navy & VT Grad Dad
lowoncash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calvert county
Posts: 1,843
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstop View Post
This thread reminds me of Ohio's law that allows open carry, but restricts having a loaded firearm in a car without a CCW permit.
Ohio also has a law prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241
lowoncash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:32 AM #56
Blaster229's Avatar
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 24,386
Blaster229 Blaster229 is offline
God loves you, I don't.
Blaster229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Glen Burnie
Posts: 24,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowoncash View Post
Ohio also has a law prohibiting secret compartments in vehicles.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241
For controlled substances. Drugs.
__________________
Do the do's. Don't do the don'ts.
Blaster229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:44 AM #57
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,161
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13,161
Wow ! I read the linked Federal statute on LEOSA, and it doesn't say what had been summarized/ tought for decades . If I was more motivated, I would research if this language was changed when LEOSA was tweaked a few years ago .

As current law is written :

Prohibited where No Gun Signs have force of law .
May be prohibited on state or local Gov't owned property.

Period.


NOT included : Catagoric prohibitions for catagories of places and events not involving gov't owned real estate . Means no bans on bars, churches, sporting events, political events, union meetings, hospitals, and etc, etc .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:08 AM #58
mdlowrider's Avatar
mdlowrider mdlowrider is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Garrett County, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland
Posts: 29
mdlowrider mdlowrider is offline
Junior Member
mdlowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Garrett County, People's Democratic Republic of Maryland
Posts: 29
Once a year, I get on my Harley and do a no-schedule, no-destination road trip. I go by myself and the first time I did this, ended up in Bangor, ME. The second year, Louisiana, having ridden all the way down the Mississippi river from Burlington, Iowa. These trips have generally ended up between 2,500 to 3,500 miles but again, there is no schedule and no destination. Basically, I just get up in the morning, watch the news to see where the weather will be best and go there, generally avoiding interstates. I usually stay in little motels, but sometimes sleep in a tarp on the road if I get sleepy and find myself too far from a place to stop. I've thought long and hard about the costs and benefits of concealed carry, versus the risks of being somewhere on the road without self defense and wishing I had some. I think the concealed carry laws in states like Maryland are an abomination, mindless laws designed for people who will ignore them anyway, but which do affect law-abiding people like me a in a real way. So every year when I get ready for the road trip, I have to make a decision - observe the most restrictive law in any state through which I might pass, or not. I can't tell you how much I resent having to think about this. We really do need national CCW and I wonder how many people are made criminals by the insane patchwork of nonsensical law that states like Maryland impose on self-defense. Sorry to rant - it's on my mind because I'll be leaving soon.
mdlowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:55 AM #59
Sealion's Avatar
Sealion Sealion is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Balto Co
Posts: 553
Sealion Sealion is offline
Member
Sealion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Balto Co
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlowrider View Post
Once a year, I get on my Harley and do a no-schedule, no-destination road trip. I go by myself and the first time I did this, ended up in Bangor, ME. The second year, Louisiana, having ridden all the way down the Mississippi river from Burlington, Iowa. These trips have generally ended up between 2,500 to 3,500 miles but again, there is no schedule and no destination. Basically, I just get up in the morning, watch the news to see where the weather will be best and go there, generally avoiding interstates. I usually stay in little motels, but sometimes sleep in a tarp on the road if I get sleepy and find myself too far from a place to stop. I've thought long and hard about the costs and benefits of concealed carry, versus the risks of being somewhere on the road without self defense and wishing I had some. I think the concealed carry laws in states like Maryland are an abomination, mindless laws designed for people who will ignore them anyway, but which do affect law-abiding people like me a in a real way. So every year when I get ready for the road trip, I have to make a decision - observe the most restrictive law in any state through which I might pass, or not. I can't tell you how much I resent having to think about this. We really do need national CCW and I wonder how many people are made criminals by the insane patchwork of nonsensical law that states like Maryland impose on self-defense. Sorry to rant - it's on my mind because I'll be leaving soon.
Thanks for sharing. I'd love to be able to do this some day. Come back and tell us how it went or better yet give us updates from the road. And yes the patchwork of laws is crazy.
__________________
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.-Ronald Reagan

NRA - Life Member
MSI Member
MD Designated Collector
SOTAR Alumnus
Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 12:06 PM #60
rbird7282's Avatar
rbird7282 rbird7282 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,450
rbird7282 rbird7282 is offline
Senior Member
rbird7282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
What is says is that LEOSA exempts eligible people from state and local laws, with 2 exceptions.



The state/local gov is still allowed to ban carry on thier property.



Private people are still allowed to ban carry on their private property.



The last I payed attention, it was illegal to conceal carry in a bar in Virginia. LEOSA exempts qualified people from that law. However, a owner of a bar is still allowed to ban carry, and LEOSA does not exempt that.



There is more to the law and some amendments also. You can't be prohibited under federal law. You can be under the influence of drugs/alcohol.



One amendment exempted qualified people from ammo restrictions. The mag capacity limits are not exempted.



One that you may be confusing is that carry used to be banned in federal parks. The amendment did not make it legal or illegal. It said that in federal parks, it will be up to the state to allow or not based on their state carry laws.





There is no federal law that says that LEOSA doesn't allow conceal carry but local permit holders may.



Speaking of public schools, they are gov property and the gov can ban carry on gov property. There are states that don't allow carry on school property. Some of them have an exemption for people that have a concealed carry permit. LEOSA is not a conceal carry permit and would not apply to the exemption.









There is a lot to LEOSA. It is not very restrictive but it is not unrestricted either. NRA-ILA has a lot of info on it.


It is legal to carry in a bar in Virginia (with a permit) but you can't drink alcohol.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2017, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service