• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Does anyone have one of these. Do they shoot well (I hope) I just ordered one for $299 from GrabaGun. I've seen them as high as $499 elsewhere.

Attachments

• Ruger 10 22 Target Black_Brown.png
      Ruger 10 22 Target Black_Brown.png
      7.1 KB · Views: 400

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have the Takedown Target and it's an absolute tack driver with good ammo (I love the Eley yellow box Target stuff). I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for the input Hawkeye. I'll try some of the Yellow Box. I have been looking at CCI Greentag too. Have you ever tried that in yours. It's amazing how much some of the Match ammo costs. If you have any insight as to what else works in these guns I'd appreciate hearing about it...Thanks again

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I haven't tried the Greentag yet. I bought a bunch of the Eley a while back at fairly good pricing (from Dick's, before I stopped shopping there) and I'm quite happy with it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks for the input Hawkeye. I'll try some of the Yellow Box. I have been looking at CCI Greentag too. Have you ever tried that in yours. It's amazing how much some of the Match ammo costs. If you have any insight as to what else works in these guns I'd appreciate hearing about it...Thanks again

The only way to find what a particular .22 rifle likes is to test as many different brands, types, and lot numbers of ammo as you can. Two identical rifles will sometimes shoot best with different ammo. Some like the cheap stuff best but you are more likely to have flyers due to quality control issues. When you find what works stock it deep because even a different production lot can change the results. Remember you are looking for the smallest group the point of aim can be adjusted, because different ammo may require rezeroing.

For example:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/7531057281

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    The only way to find what a particular .22 rifle likes is to test as many different brands, types, and lot numbers of ammo as you can. Two identical rifles will sometimes shoot best with different ammo. Some like the cheap stuff best but you are more likely to have flyers due to quality control issues. When you find what works stock it deep because even a different production lot can change the results. Remember you are looking for the smallest group the point of aim can be adjusted, because different ammo may require rezeroing.

For example:

That's what I plan to do. I've got a bunch of different types of range ammo at home and just ordered 6 different types of target/match ammo to test. Should keep me busy for a little while

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

For example:

Exactly. Ive tried two 10/22s back to back that we’re less than 2 years apart in manufacture dates and they liked very different ammo.

In general I’ve found CCI works pretty well in all 22s I’ve ever owned or tried (granted, sample size of about 5 or 6).

Aguilla SE works really well in my 10/22. It’ll shoot about 1” groups at 50yds with a 4x scope on the rifle. Blazer will shoot about 1.2” groups. Minimags are around 3/4”.

The savage Rascal I own shoots about 1.25” groups with Blazer (aperture sights). Aguilla SE it shoots about 4” groups...haven’t tried minimags in it.

Aguilla rifle match is the most accurate ammo I’ve tried in my 10/22 (.6” groups at 50yds). I’ve yet to try it in my Rascal.

My 10/22 chokes on any Winchester ammo. Just crazy amounts of stove pipes and accuracy in 3-4” range at 50yds. In the Rascal it’s about 2” and feeds and ejects fine.

Federal shoots great in my 10/22, but I get about 1:12 stove pipes with Automatch and champion and their 36gr CPHP (about 1:20 for the 36gr).

CCI blazer, SV, Minimags, Velocitors, etc is the only brand that’ll run 100% in my 10/22 (no failures of any type). Aguilla shoots accurately in it (all types I’ve tried), but I do still have occasional stove pipes.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    After all the "playing around" with ammo to see what my "rifles liked" i came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. There is however some sweet spots in every price range and also diminishing returns.
    In every gun I tried (3 different 10/22s, Marlin XT-22, Henry Lever 22 and marlin 795). CCI SV was the bang for the buck. Greentag is basically CCISV with more consistency/quality control in the powder,primer,bullet
    CCI was always the best performing, reliable copper or alloy coated bullet I used. Remington was almost always the worse coated.
    In my bolt action Marlin Ely Match was no better than Ely Target and only slightly better than Green tag. So the more $ cost the slightly better it shot. I give that to the consistency of the cartridge.

I've heard of the random person on rimfire central who will say CCI minimags don't shoot well in their 10/22 but that is rare from what I've found.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    After all the "playing around" with ammo to see what my "rifles liked" i came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. There is however some sweet spots in every price range and also diminishing returns.
    In every gun I tried (3 different 10/22s, Marlin XT-22, Henry Lever 22 and marlin 795). CCI SV was the bang for the buck. Greentag is basically CCISV with more consistency/quality control in the powder,primer,bullet
    CCI was always the best performing, reliable copper or alloy coated bullet I used. Remington was almost always the worse coated.
    In my bolt action Marlin Ely Match was no better than Ely Target and only slightly better than Green tag. So the more $ cost the slightly better it shot. I give that to the consistency of the cartridge.

I've heard of the random person on rimfire central who will say CCI minimags don't shoot well in their 10/22 but that is rare from what I've found.

Yeah, and some people claim there are honest politicians. I’ve never seen one.

I’ve yet to find Minimags not shooting well in something. I’ve found stuff that shoots better for sure, but never had in anything.

Honestly that’s what I am waiting for is for minimag prices to crash like crazy and pickup a crap ton for like 3 or 4 cents a round. I’ve got a huge amount of a lot of bargain stuff. Which is great for plinking and I’ve got 2 sons shooting a lot of 22lr now and a daughter and wife about to start. Not complaining. But I’d love to pickup a few thousand rounds of minimags at 3-4c a round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom