• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thinking of a 6.5 Grendel upper build for one of my rifles(AR). Then it occurred to me...subsonics for the Grendel?

...nevermind

Last edited:

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    This is a joke right? Sure, it will have more ME than a worthless subsonic 223, but there is literally no point when 300blk exists. Anyone that has an exotic 6.5 Grendel already feel in the deep end of the ar15 pool and can afford a $300 PSA 300blk upper.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is a joke right? Sure, it will have more ME than a worthless subsonic 223, but there is literally no point when 300blk exists. Anyone that has an exotic 6.5 Grendel already feel in the deep end of the ar15 pool and can afford a $300 PSA 300blk upper.

Ignorant, maybe. Joking, no.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22387

If you want a subsonic witb that bolt face then what you want is 9x39 or .358 Gremlin.

Thanks for the recommendation yellowfin. I'm set on the 6.5G

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I am not doubting that people have done it, I just doubt the usefulness beyond scratching a novelty itch(which I fully understand). You will be limited to 9mm level muzzle energy and have a bunch of additional tradeoffs beyond 300blk since 6.5g is generally setup for long range shooting. You may want to deviate from the standard twist rate, and I dont think the 6.5's BC will help much beyond 100m vs 223/300 when you are limited to <=160gr bullets.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am not doubting that people have done it, I just doubt the usefulness beyond scratching a novelty itch(which I fully understand). You will be limited to 9mm level muzzle energy and have a bunch of additional tradeoffs beyond 300blk since 6.5g is generally setup for long range shooting. You may want to deviate from the standard twist rate, and I dont think the 6.5's BC will help much beyond 100m vs 223/300 when you are limited to <=160gr bullets.
    6.5 Grendel subsonic = 9mm = "toy".
    .300 AAC subsonic = 45 ACP = HOG KILLING ROUND OF DOOM (somehow?)

I'll say that 6.5 Grendel doesn't do it as well, but I think people are being overly harsh on the concept.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

You shouldn't insult The Clown. He knows where all the storm drains are. :D

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    6.5 Grendel subsonic = 9mm = "toy".
    .300 AAC subsonic = 45 ACP = HOG KILLING ROUND OF DOOM (somehow?)

I'll say that 6.5 Grendel doesn't do it as well, but I think people are being overly harsh on the concept.

Based on muzzle energy the 45 ACP actually has a higher ME than supersonic or subsonic 9mm. It should be in your load books and easily verifiable.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Based on muzzle energy the 45 ACP actually has a higher ME than supersonic or subsonic 9mm. It should be in your load books and easily verifiable.
    My poorly-expressed point was that the energy levels we're talking about are pistol-level, not rifle-level. .300AAC has certain advantages in hunting due to bullet selection, but if you're just dumping rounds down range, you're spending a lot of money on not a lot of advantage... if you want to shoot subs on the range or in competition, buy a 9mm or 45ACP upper, you'll have far cheaper ammo. (.300AAC supers are barely even worth talking about; they're essentially equivalent to 7.62x39, which is 1940s ballistics.)

So getting into a tiff about energy is a bit of a joke; none of the rounds being discussed are impressive in that regard. Now, if you want to bring 458 SOCOM into the equation, that's a caliber that can do rifle-level damage across the board, albeit at the cost of money and magazine capacity.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My poorly-expressed point was that the energy levels we're talking about are pistol-level, not rifle-level. .300AAC has certain advantages in hunting due to bullet selection, but if you're just dumping rounds down range, you're spending a lot of money on not a lot of advantage... if you want to shoot subs on the range or in competition, buy a 9mm or 45ACP upper, you'll have far cheaper ammo. (.300AAC supers are barely even worth talking about; they're essentially equivalent to 7.62x39, which is 1940s ballistics.)

So getting into a tiff about energy is a bit of a joke; none of the rounds being discussed are impressive in that regard. Now, if you want to bring 458 SOCOM into the equation, that's a caliber that can do rifle-level damage across the board, albeit at the cost of money and magazine capacity.

My man!

I agree about subs for plinking and competition, but a 300BLK sub for HD with a can is a smart choice for those that don't want a PC dedicated lower.

The supporters for hunting, I'll agree with, but you have the advantage of better accuracy than a 762x39.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    E-
    For some reason Tapatalk flaked on my device and blank screened.

Bringing 458 SOCOM into the mix isn't fair, but I like it. I've been doing a lot of thinking about doing a 458, bit haven't started getting parts yet. The spousal unit might get upset. :D

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Lots of my 45 ACP loads are subsonic, I have played with 300 blk subs too but the 45 ACP and 9mm heavy sub loads do everything it can do at short ranges at a lower cost.

I have hunted quite a bit with 400+ grain subsonic loads with a 458, they will spin a hog around fore sure.

I never messed with .223 much becuse decent bullet selection for .224 subs don’t exist and I have lots of .22’s that work fine at that speed. The 6.5 is a “legs” round for an AR 15, it never crossed my mind to cut them out from under it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The 6.5 is a “legs” round for an AR 15, it never crossed my mind to cut them out from under it.
    Given that you can buy a BCA 458 SOCOM upper for like $300, and it will perform acceptably by most accounts, it's just not worth it to screw around with half-measures. This theoretical situation where you're gonna mixing mag of subs into your rifle between mags of supers just makes no real-world sense. I say all of this as a guy who LOVES 6.5G, and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Given that you can buy a BCA 458 SOCOM upper for like $300, and it will perform acceptably by most accounts, it's just not worth it to screw around with half-measures. This theoretical situation where you're gonna mixing mag of subs into your rifle between mags of supers just makes no real-world sense. I say all of this as a guy who LOVES 6.5G, and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

458 SOCOM is great for suppressed subsonic performace. I have one and love it. But even with the cheap $300 razor, $2 per factory loaded blade adds up real quick. Definitely not a plink all day round unless you reload and have a ton of lead. Factory 300blk can be had for much cheaper.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    This is what Outrider58 was looking into.

Per the link. Oh, BTW he is a good friend and very knowledgeable. A look at big post count ‘ splains a lot. I am starting to see this forum become more like ar15 site where people are rediculed all the time. Sad state, indeed.

... I put a YHM 308 can on my 16" midlength Grendel. On a whim, I loaded up some 120gr Core Lokt bullets with 10 grains of H335. The bullets were subsonic and the bolt locked back! This was with no bullets in the mag. I fired a couple more with 5 in the mag and the carrier would eject the shell, but wouldn't cycle with the upward pressure of the loaded mag. I think that with a little load development I can get it to cycle with 5 rounds in the mag.....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Per the link. Oh, BTW he is a good friend and very knowledgeable. A look at big post count ‘ splains a lot. I am starting to see this forum become more like ar15 site where people are rediculed all the time. Sad state, indeed.
    I feel like you meant to insert a link? I'm not going to deny that MDS has problems, but I think a reasonable argument about real-world usage of certain ideas has merit.

... I put a YHM 308 can on my 16" midlength Grendel. On a whim, I loaded up some 120gr Core Lokt bullets with 10 grains of H335. The bullets were subsonic and the bolt locked back! This was with no bullets in the mag. I fired a couple more with 5 in the mag and the carrier would eject the shell, but wouldn't cycle with the upward pressure of the loaded mag. I think that with a little load development I can get it to cycle with 5 rounds in the mag.....
    I think there's a use case for something like that with a bolt gun - I run both a AR-6.5G and a Ruger American in 6.5G, so subsonic 6.5G is a topic of interest to me. Problem is, your zero's gonna be way, way off compared to full-fat 6.5G. That's kind of the problem - it's a theoretically interesting idea that seems to fail when confronted with any kind of real world use, or such was my own discovery.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Growing pains my man, growing pains. You are seeing what some of us saw with the explosion of the 13'ers. What used to be a peaceful forum was forever altered, by the events of that year. I'm not saying all the 13'ers were bad, but some of them soured the milk for the rest of the legit 13'ers that stuck around to try to become accepted members of the community.

Realistically post count doesn't matter all that much if you are knowledgeable and are willing to freely share that knowledge. I know some that have very low post counts that are assets in sharing the wealth of knowledge they have, the same as those with high post counts. I also know that the exact opposite is true also with high count and low count, both are equally ready to lay into somebody. All in all at the end of the day, we are a dysfunctional family.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    .I think there's a use case for something like that with a bolt gun - I run both a AR-6.5G and a Ruger American in 6.5G, so subsonic 6.5G is a topic of interest to me. Problem is, your zero's gonna be way, way off compared to full-fat 6.5G. That's kind of the problem - it's a theoretically interesting idea that seems to fail when confronted with any kind of real world use, or such was my own discovery.

This was what I was looking for, along with any more 'contemporary' applications. It was merely a thought that popped into my head while I contemplated building a 6.5G. A close friend asked if I would build one for him and at that point, I though, "why not build two?"

I realize, we are fighting physics here, but hey, I'm no scientist, nor do I consider myself an expert reloader. I know what I know and you can fill volumes with what I don't know.

Thanks for your patience and replies! :)

ETA: Don't piss babalou off. He's a bear! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom