Inheriting handgun, odd situation. Questions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    So my lady's mom's ex boyfriend, who she calls her "step dad" but is not legally has an older S&W revolver that he wants to gift to her.

The gun was originally purchased by her "step dad's" aunt who has been deceased for quite some time. Her "step dad" has been in possession of it ever since.

My lady expressed interest in getting it from him since he does not use it, he told her he would gift it to her.

How does all this work since my lady and her "step dad" were never legally family?

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Is it possible your lady could have come into possession of this gun prior to October 1 1996?

I advocate breaking NO laws, but if the answer is yes, you may want to do some research.

I repeat, I advocate breaking NO laws.

No, she was only born in 1992 lol.

If it's older, as in C&R eligible, a simple transfer at an MSP barrack would do. No HQL needed.

How would I find out the date of manufacture? And would her step dad do the paperwork as the current owner or would it just be voluntary registration on my lady's part.

Shes in the process of getting her HQL anyways, so that isn't a concern.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    So, basically someone wants to give her a handgun is what it boils down to, correct?

Yes sir, but the original purchaser has been deceased for quite some time and I'm sure no paperwork was done when her step dad inherited the gun.

The confusion lies on who needs to fill out what paperwork, because clearly we want to follow the law. MD just makes it very difficult to understand.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    some of the old top breaks had no serial number, may be pre1899, and cant be transferred via atf/nics check due to lack of serial numbers

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    some of the old top breaks had no serial number, may be pre1899, and cant be transferred via atf/nics check due to lack of serial numbers

It's not that old, it's a model 60 which didn't come out until 1965 I believe. It does have a serial number just not sure where to look it up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Standard Catalogue of Smith and Wesson aka SCSW has breakdown of sn by year of shipping date .

Post the sn ( customarily with X's substituted for final 2 or 3 digits ) . If someone here dosen't have a SCSW handy , make inquiry at the S&W Collector's Forum , and you will recieve quick answer .

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    The Standard Catalogue of Smith and Wesson aka SCSW has breakdown of sn by year of shipping date .

Post the sn ( customarily with X's substituted for final 2 or 3 digits ) . If someone here dosen't have a SCSW handy , make inquiry at the S&W Collector's Forum , and you will recieve quick answer .

Thank you, will do.

If it is not C&R would her step dad be the current owner on the paperwork even though there's nothing saying he owns it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As long as he received it before Oct 1, 1996, there was no reason for any paperwork upon transfer of a handgun between two MD residents.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    As long as he received it before Oct 1, 1996, there was no reason for any paperwork upon transfer of a handgun between two MD residents.

I don't think OP said what state his moms EX is located in. Be a good idea to write up a bill of sale stating a gift, with names, SN, gun type to avoid any issues down the road in case of loss/theft. I assume it's in good working order and not a "parts" gun? Good luck.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown

Yes, he did.

I don't think OP said what state his moms EX is located in. Be a good idea to write up a bill of sale stating a gift, with names, SN, gun type to avoid any issues down the road in case of loss/theft. I assume it's in good working order and not a "parts" gun? Good luck.

All persons involved are MD residents and the gun was purchased in MD new.

Thanks for the advice.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just so I have the scorecard straight :

Everybody Md resident , and had been historically, at least for relevant events .

"Step Dad" recieved Pistol from Auntie at some point prior to Oct 1996 .

So , if I've got that straight , then :

"Step Dad " is current owner of pistol.

Your Lady friend and her quasi step dad are Not Md recognized immediate family members . Thereby must follow normal instate transfer procedures . ie either MSP Barracks, or FFL , 7day waiting period .

Still to be determined : Exact shipping date on Revolver , to determine potential C&R status. If 50yrs , then Lady friend Not require HQL . If 49yr or less , then HQL needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom