AR10 Suggestions? Are any of them illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    I saw someone mentioned Stag Arms, while I do like Stag Arms, after owning/comparing a Windham Weaponry rifle to a Stag Arms I will say the Windham is higher quality. Sure its just one rifle from each company, but the fit, finish, and materials of the Windham seemed much higher quality even though cost was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I like the way that one looks, but the reviews will keep me from buying that rifle. They are certainly mixed on Buds. Especially with only a 3 year warranty.

Any of the off the shelf AR10s will generally run decent, but there are a few issues with all manufactures when QC comes to mind. The problem with the internet is that if you search hard enough you'll find issues with anything.

If I was you, I'd buy which ever one you want(look,feel,elevated mall ninja status) and have clandestine go over it for a fee. He has more experience in the AR game then most and will tell you that he has seen issues with all manufactures, including some that cost over $3k.

When you get the AR back from him, it will just run. Most of my spent shells fall in a 1-2ft circle no matter the load.

I think overall the DPMS G2 or the MP10 are pretty decent and don't break the bank. None of these will probaly shoot better than 3/4 MOA, but not sure if your looking for that.

Good luck in your choice

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I paid $1400 for mine (18" barrel version, MSRP around $1600), and sold it for $1200 a year later to buy a SCAR 17s. A quick peek on gunbroker shows them listed between $1200-$1400.

Gym Ratz Nutrition had a M&P 10 Sport model (16" barrel) for sale at $900 in October, MSRP around $1050. Not sure if the 16" has similar performance as the 18" version.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4968649&highlight=M&P#post4968649
    Thanks kindly. Tbqo, ballistics between the 16" & 18" barrels is negligible. I'd probably go with a 16" model for the sake of weight and handling.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I would get the DPMS GII. Awesome lightweight AR10. It's a nice hybrid of the AR15/AR10.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    My DPMS G2 is awesome. Had it for about a year or so now I guess. Maybe a little longer. Not one single complaint or issue with it. I have the 20" hunter.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I were buying an AR 10 right now, I would look at either the S&W M&P 10, or one of the Windham Weaponry offerings. Anything outside that price range is too expensive or too cheap.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I am curious to see how you guys like your DPMS AR10's. I hear a lot of bad things, but I also hear a lot of good. Feedback on this forum is more credible than the Internet at large.

The pre G2 DPMS AR10s were junk. Ton of horrible reviews on those. The G2's however fixed the issues that the predecessors had. Lots of good reviews on them. Plus they take all. AR15 stuff so they're cheaper to pimp out. Furniture, FCG, lower parts, etc.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The pre G2 DPMS AR10s were junk. Ton of horrible reviews on those. The G2's however fixed the issues that the predecessors had. Lots of good reviews on them. Plus they take all. AR15 stuff so they're cheaper to pimp out. Furniture, FCG, lower parts, etc.

I really like my DPMS G2. I have more than a few AR's and it functions as good as the rest of them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Not to make this thread even more exciting, but what about the Bushmaster XM-10 in .308 Win? Is it banned? Md. Pub Safety 5-101 says "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle" and I believe MSP has equated this to ALL Bushmaster XM-15 rifles, but would that apply to the Bushmaster XM-10 too? Just checked the MSP website and it says, "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle banned".

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Can't you buy an 80% lower and turn it into a rifle? Granted, it might be more work than you want to do, but it is an option.

I’d rather not until I had the proper tools and equipment to do a good job with it. I can wait a year to buy them, no big deal

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Not to make this thread even more exciting, but what about the Bushmaster XM-10 in .308 Win? Is it banned? Md. Pub Safety 5-101 says "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle" and I believe MSP has equated this to ALL Bushmaster XM-15 rifles, but would that apply to the Bushmaster XM-10 too? Just checked the MSP website and it says, "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle banned".

Does that include bushmaster 90212? Its a heavy barrel AR. My takeaway from the email is that all .308 AR’s are fair game without the grenade launcher/folding stock

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    I like the way that one looks, but the reviews will keep me from buying that rifle. They are certainly mixed on Buds. Especially with only a 3 year warranty.

There are 8 reviews on Buds 7 are 5 stars and 1 is 4 stars, all very positive. Everyone on this thread that has one likes them. IDK what more you need, but it's your money. Good luck with your shopping!

I was looking at the DMPS Oracle and decided against since they use a cheaper Extruded 7029 T6 aluminum for upper and lower instead of the typical 7075 T6 (& used in the g2 series).

I'm not sure if you're saying they use 7029 in the G2's, but from the DPMS website for the G2's: "UPPER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl 3 Anodized, Teflon coated, A3 type. LOWER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl Anodized, Teflon coated"

I don't think it can be beat for the money and for the money it's a great value.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    There are 8 reviews on Buds 7 are 5 stars and 1 is 4 stars, all very positive. Everyone on this thread that has one likes them. IDK what more you need, but it's your money. Good luck with your shopping!

I'm not sure if you're saying they use 7029 in the G2's, but from the DPMS website for the G2's: "UPPER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl 3 Anodized, Teflon coated, A3 type. LOWER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl Anodized, Teflon coated"

I don't think it can be beat for the money and for the money it's a great value.

There are 13 reviews

At $1250 I would not want to gamble, just my opinion

06d8e938130d01c664d0f19d6d3c39f0.jpg
    a0e50958edba581cab2bdb08a35ea789.jpg
    757314cef802b07b8d5bb7a37a758e1a.jpg

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    There are 13 reviews

At $1250 I would not want to gamble, just my opinion

06d8e938130d01c664d0f19d6d3c39f0.jpg
    a0e50958edba581cab2bdb08a35ea789.jpg
    757314cef802b07b8d5bb7a37a758e1a.jpg

I searched "DPMS G2 MOE" the version I have. The early models had some bugs that were updated. I do not believe they offered the MOE in the early models, but I am not positive. Mag issues, mostly with Pmags not locking the bolt open when empty(I have not had any issues with any mags) and over gassing. The early fix with overgassing was an adjustable gas block, not a bad idea on any 308 AR. Early Pmags could be filed to fix the bolt locking issue, but again I have not had any problems with the many Pmags I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom