Visit by Homeland Security yesterday for... a scope purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    My guess is USPS held the package after being scanned? Maybe they are red flagging every so often ?

I checked the seller a couple hours ago and it appears he sold several items non outdoor related as of recent, only a few scopes red dots but mostly random electronics etc.
    Same seller still has several active listings and recent listings, so as far as I know, not in trouble for wrongdoing ?

Crazy. See below.

eBay or PayPal must have an agreement with DHS to share certain purchase activity.

I am wondering the same.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Maybe they were the seller and it was a sting operation that didn't go the way they thought it would.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Others in this thread have posted about something like this happening before.

Agents Rocket Jay and efeng

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    So how did they:
    a) know you purchased the scope in the first place
    b) get your personal information from eBay or PayPal? (or from where?)
    "They just asked who I purchased from" so it wasn't from the sellers side right?

this seems a little scary.

dang, Snallygaster beat me to it :)

I mean it’s the government, we know they have at times exceeded their lawful sop/use of investigating anything and anyone. I think this is even an issue outside the US fisa surveillance bill as of recent the one rand paul was adamant about blocking ?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Shall I forward you both agents emails and phone #’s to verify? Maybe a friendly wager to a chairity of your choosing if proven true?

Not sure how anyone would find the fascination in fabricating a story as lame as this

I took that as to the situation, not your story.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Frankly you were far more forthcoming with information than I would have provided. I would have gone outside with the agents, got my lawyer on the cell phone, then passed the cell phone to the agents so they could explain to my attorney what their intentions were. I would have then taken the advise from my attorney.

I hate the idea that I wouldn't cooperate with law enforcement but I'm far too paranoid after seeing all the government abuses that have gone down in the last decade.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Very interesting story Rob. Maybe I’m a bit dense, but I still don’t get why they came to see you. Was the Ebay seller, or the shipping company being targeted or investigated? Was it because the purchase was made on Ebay? I’ve purchased about 20 scopes & red dots in just 2017 alone, but all thru popular online or local brick and morter retailers like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Optics Planet, Midway, Brownells, etc.. No Ebay or “secondary” sources.

All the websites have the legal disclaimers on these items about ITAR, simply purchasing them and having them delivered to your residence shouldn’t have raised any red flags. Do you possibly have contradicting billing & shipping addresses perhaps? Sounds weird to me.

If they just came to “feel you out” I’m glad for you that it seemed they left satisfied you weren’t doing anything shady. While I agree with everyone that advised you to deny them access, in theory and by sheer principle, I’m smart enough and honest enough to admit that I doubt I can predict how I’d actually react when it’s my door they come knocking on. I could see myself doing anything and everything in my power at that moment to get myself “checked-off” their lists. Definitely a conundrum I hope none of the rest of us has to experience for ourselves.

Good luck with the rest of this, if there is more to come. Keep us posted.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Makes you wonder how much of our personal lives is being monitored by the US government under the guise of national security or counter-terrorism. SMH

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm thinking thief-bay and pay-pal have better things to do than conspire with DHS over scopes being purchased and delivered within the continental US.

OP, did DHS ask you about your dozen firearm purchases from last year?

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    A DHS visit for scopes? really??? I didn't really believe it, but after a little online digging.....DHS: know-you-go-purchasing-firearms-and-parts-firearms-usa
    Here's a 5+ yr old press release from the DHS warning citizens not to ship firearms, ammo, or firearm parts to Canada (and warning Canadians not to try to buy them here). maybe your ebay seller was a know seller of such things to such people?

and here's a Canadian outdoorsmen forum archived thread where they were talking about what they could and could not get in trouble for buying in the USA and getting it back t Canada:
    http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archive/index.php/t-38258.html

scopes are on the list of prohibited items, or at least were back then (2009-2012).
    Scopes, thermal optics, laser devices and sights are detailed in ITAR. Have been for a long, long time.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Fishy. How do they know what you purchased? Was the seller busted for something?
    This is what I would like to know as well. To be honest, if a seller doesn't make their buyers ID's private on the auction for a product, then the info is accessible to anyone who can log onto eBay with a user ID.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wouldn't invite them in, no way but would kindly and politely offer to go to their office or a convenient offsite place.

Its like vampires.........

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The problem when offering to talk with law enforcement is the acceleration rate in to the interrogation.. I'll exercise my right to remain silent before they must read the Miranda warning.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Frankly you were far more forthcoming with information than I would have provided. I would have gone outside with the agents, got my lawyer on the cell phone, then passed the cell phone to the agents so they could explain to my attorney what their intentions were. I would have then taken the advise from my attorney.

I hate the idea that I wouldn't cooperate with law enforcement but I'm far too paranoid after seeing all the government abuses that have gone down in the last decade.

Agreed, I have several LE friends and know they all are very trustworthy folks but we see a lot of scenarios that don’t play out well when it comes to situations like this ..I have no issues quickly dispelling any concerns from any gov’t agency but find this a bit unreasonable after thinking about it more, how tedious this is with much bigger concerns going on in the world

Very interesting story Rob. Maybe I’m a bit dense, but I still don’t get why they came to see you. Was the Ebay seller, or the shipping company being targeted or investigated? Was it because the purchase was made on Ebay? I’ve purchased about 20 scopes & red dots in just 2017 alone, but all thru popular online or local brick and morter retailers like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Optics Planet, Midway, Brownells, etc.. No Ebay or “secondary” sources.

All the websites have the legal disclaimers on these items about ITAR, simply purchasing them and having them delivered to your residence shouldn’t have raised any red flags. Do you possibly have contradicting billing & shipping addresses perhaps? Sounds weird to me.

If they just came to “feel you out” I’m glad for you that it seemed they left satisfied you weren’t doing anything shady. While I agree with everyone that advised you to deny them access, in theory and by sheer principle, I’m smart enough and honest enough to admit that I doubt I can predict how I’d actually react when it’s my door they come knocking on. I could see myself doing anything and everything in my power at that moment to get myself “checked-off” their lists. Definitely a conundrum I hope none of the rest of us has to experience for ourselves.

Good luck with the rest of this, if there is more to come. Keep us posted.

Thanks, I am also dumbfounded by the reasoning.. buying 4 scopes and 2 red dots in all of 2017 would have 1,000’s of visits all over the country. I’ve bought some on eBay and some from brownells.
    I didn’t even think much into it as shortly after I went downtown to have dinner with friends. Today I thought more of it and what else may have triggered it? Maybe the 12-13 firearms and ammo purchases related to them all in 2017? I don’t know, regardless no laws were broken..
    After seeing responses here next time I think it’s best I call my lawyer and remain outside.

Makes you wonder how much of our personal lives is being monitored by the US government under the guise of national security or counter-terrorism. SMH

Agreed, with leaked info all the time it’s become apparent our gov’t has certainly over stepped its bounds a number of times. With cameras, blimps in the sky, internet monitoring and more to come as technology moves forward I’m sure it will continue to be abused

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Minus a warrant, I would have told them to leave. I wouldn't say anything else to them without my lawyer present. They are free to lie with impunity in order to manipulate you. If they decide you lied to them, no matter how trivial or just a misunderstanding, they might go out of their way to make your life a living hell if they've got nothing better to do. Don't trust the government or invite it into your house. Not ever.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I'm thinking thief-bay and pay-pal have better things to do than conspire with DHS over scopes being purchased and delivered within the continental US.

OP, did DHS ask you about your dozen firearm purchases from last year?

Nope, just really seemed interested in the Sig Sauer scope purchase which I won with a last second bid (no reserve). In a matter of a few minutes of talking and gathering info it felt like they acknowledged they were there for no real reason at all at that point. Like a false lead?
    Agent said the Atn Thor thermal or whatever brand was a big one, leupolds or nikon? and another brand were popular too with this exporting ring if I remember correctly

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    eBay or PayPal must have an agreement with DHS to share certain purchase activity.

yep, ebay clearly states that they "work closely" with multiple federal alphabet agencies. From ebay.policies/military-items:

We work closely with federal and military agencies to make sure transactions for military items on eBay follow all laws, regulations, and statutes, including:

US Department of State
    US Department of Justice
    US Department of Commerce
    US Immigration and Customs Enforcement
    US Department of Defense
    US Government Accountability Office
    Defense Criminal Investigative Service for all branches of the US military

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member