• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    I'm sure those Hooligans have done this so looking for what you guys have done.
    I have a 45 mold that drops a 215gr bullet and sizer for .452

I use this with Trailboss right now for my Taylors Colt 45 Revolver and Henry Lever action.

I'd like to look at loading up some FFFG and lube the bullets (2 grooves) with the Lube I use for the Springfield 1863 Muskets (Old Trappers MCM Lube).

I know I dont want a gap between powder and bullet.

I measured 35grains of FFFG gets me to the point of powder touching the bottom of the seated/crimped bullet. I can bump it a tad to make sure I'm getting a slight compression (or should I).

Do I need to drop the powder amount and add in a lubed wad between the Powder and the bullet?

Any other advice before I start? I'd prefer to hear form the MDS group vs jumping on another forum

Regular Large Rifle Primers ok with FFFg?

Treedoc1

Jan 30, 2020
    No wad needed

I use a heaping 2.2 cc dipper which is 35gr+/- Big lube 200 gr bullet for rifle, 200 gr RNFP with black powder lube for pistol (Missouri Bullet Co).
    No need for wad in either. Have gone over 150 shots without cleaning guns, just a spritz of Ballistol and water every once in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20190204_192926.jpg.6b848d3da2bf7a0cfe2164a9d8e2d9ee.jpg
      IMG_20190204_192926.jpg.6b848d3da2bf7a0cfe2164a9d8e2d9ee.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 407
    • Copy of App showdown.jpg
      Copy of App showdown.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 398

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I don’t load 45 colt with black powder, but do for 44-40. You can shoot reduced black powder loads, you just need a filler to keep the powder compressed. I use cream of wheat over my powder then seat my bullet.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I don't load BP cartridges. I do shoot black powder cap and ball revolver. I was told to be sure I use ballistol and water to clean and lube those weapons, not Hoppes #3 like for my modern firearms. Any concerns with dies that get used both to load black powder and smokeless?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I don't load BP cartridges. I do shoot black powder cap and ball revolver. I was told to be sure I use ballistol and water to clean and lube those weapons, not Hoppes #3 like for my modern firearms. Any concerns with dies that get used both to load black powder and smokeless?

No issues with the dies be used for both types of powder. black powder is only corrosive after it’s been ignited.

Cleaning black powder weapons, I have found nothing cleans as good as soap and water. Make sure all the water is gone, then you can use whatever you want to prevent rust.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , BP Ctg is pretty much exclusively cast bullets . Similar to heavy loads of slow burning smokeless , firm case neck tension and proper crimp are critical for consistency/ accuracy . With your bullet design, and your sized diameter .

Bottom line - you need proper relationship of sized ( case) diameter, case expander, and crimp die for cast bullets , but requirements for cast + BP will be similar for cast + smokeless .

If the bullets are large enough as cast, with your alloy , sizing to .454 is * usually * a good thing .

If you're only doing a few just for the heck of it , go ahead with your usual ML lube . If you will be pursuing this , look into SPG lube . It is the gold standard for BPC , and also works great with smokeless .

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I use 2F (FFg...if that's what you want to call it) for .45Colt. Through a drop tube, I think it's 35 gr. that puts just a touch of compression on it behind my 250gr bullet. As you know, the case needs to be filled...with something. A solution I've heard about (but haven't yet tried) for lighter loads is using .45 SW brass (Schofield). It's essentially shortened .45 Colt brass. You use the same bullet, but there is less space in the catridge to fill with powder...therefore a lighter load without fillers. That should work in your revolver, but I don't know if your rifle would like the shorter OAL.

If you don't have a drop tube, I "made" one out of a 24" section of 3/8 copper pipe and 3/8 to 1/2 reducing coupler (both on the shelf at Lowes). That stupid little copper pipe was still pretty expensive (I want to say $12 or so...and this was a few years ago) but still cheaper than a "storebought" drop tube.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    With the misty wet mess out there, my saturday to do list was reduced so had time to load some up.
    I found some 44/45 cal wonder wads so I loaded up some with 3F with and without the wads.
    Lubed the bullets with MCM lube I use on my minie balls
    the 2.2cc dipper worked great for dropping enough powder to compress the 200grain cast bullets I am using

Now for the weeks and hopefully NOT months wait for the range to open back up :(

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, with the range open again, I finally got out today at lunch time break from my home office work to try out some reloads.
    Here is a short video of what I mixed up.
    3F full case
    3F case with Wad behind bullet
    2F of some left over Shockey (American Pioneer Powder) that I have had since first getting into muzzle loading.
    If you see the muzzle rise for the full case 3F you can see its a bit of a stout load. Nothing like my normal tame Trail Boss cowboy load I normally use for 45 Colt
    EDIT: video fixed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub5Ba5B9YRk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom