• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapper

Mar 29, 2014
    I have spent half the day (unsuccessfully) searching the web for the answer to: does any "Official" ATF regulation/letter/notification explicitly exempt serial numbers for firearms made from 80% lowers/frames/receivers?

https://regulations.atf.gov/478-92/2019-24301#478-92 requires them if you are a "licensed manufacturer" or a "licensed importer".

But since I am neither, it appears this regulation does not apply to me.

I'm looking for an official ATF confirmation...does anyone have a link to such confirmation?

ziptiespec

There is no such confirmation. A serial number is only required per the regs you already found. You're not a manufacturer, you're a private citizen. You can choose to put a serial number on your receiver/frame if you wish, or you can skip it.

What are you trying to do? Why are you seeking this confirmation?

Snapper

Mar 29, 2014
    There is no such confirmation. A serial number is only required per the regs you already found. You're not a manufacturer, you're a private citizen. You can choose to put a serial number on your receiver/frame if you wish, or you can skip it.

What are you trying to do?

Just to not break the rules.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    On the ATF FAQ website the answer itself seems to be an unconditional statement and not limited to manufacturers. Then it refers to manufacturer regs. It’s not a helpful FAQ to a citizen trying to avoid trouble. This is taken from their “80%” receiver section. I can see the ATF’s response statement being interpreted both ways and the wording is likely intentional. Last review date was Feb 2020.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/receiver-blanks

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    BUT, that only applies to licensed manufacturers or importers.

§ 478.92 Identification of firearms and armor piercing ammunition by licensed manufacturers and licensed importers.

a.

1. Firearms. You, as a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer of firearms, must legibly identify each firearm manufactured or imported as follows:

Check this out instead:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You are not required to do so .

If you wish to put your own personal reference number on it ( and tell no one else) , there are scenarios it might be useful , and would avoid potential stupid questions .

4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    Question I’m looking to buy an upper 7.5” pistol Barrel no FFL needed. Then I would like to buy a 9mm lower pistol assembly which goes through FFL . Then I would like to assemble it myself is there any laws that I should be concerned with seeing that MD has a Gun Roster for handguns you can purchase completed ??
    I know the AR build your own 80% or even have an FFL build one you must wait 7 days because they consider the lower in the Handgun sector ... Not to versed on handgun builds Any advise would be appreciated ✋

Attachments

• AF044678-39A0-40F6-A36C-7760F80A55C6.jpg
      AF044678-39A0-40F6-A36C-7760F80A55C6.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 430

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Question I’m looking to buy an upper 7.5” pistol Barrel no FFL needed. Then I would like to buy a 9mm lower pistol assembly which goes through FFL . Then I would like to assemble it myself is there any laws that I should be concerned with seeing that MD has a Gun Roster for handguns you can purchase completed ??
    I know the AR build your own 80% or even have an FFL build one you must wait 7 days because they consider the lower in the Handgun sector ... Not to versed on handgun builds Any advise would be appreciated

The handgun roster only applies to buying one new. If you are building an AR pistol, the handgun roster has nothing to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    IF you make it an NFA firearm, you must mark it with your name, city, state, model, caliber, and serial number. Otherwise, federally, you do not have to mark it.

See ATF rulemaking from 2001 and note the distinction between the NFA and non-NFA applicability to individuals.

But for non-NFA, they recommend you mark it.

4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    Ok then I was told that you can only build AR pistol
    “ You can only build AR pistols in 308 and 300 win mag, per MD statute 403-4--6(a)II “
    So I can’t build the Above pictured AR15
    In 556 or 300 BO with 7.5 barrel in Maryland ??
    I get the HGR is for FFL sales of Completed Firearms in MD.
    Building them I was told told what’s posted above ????
    So Confusing
    I’ve built 80% AR15 no FFL
    I’ve built FFL Lowers AR15 ?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My buddy did an 80% to SBR. He had no model #. They told him to leave it blank.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Ok then I was told that you can only build AR pistol
    “ You can only build AR pistols in 308 and 300 win mag, per MD statute 403-4--6(a)II “
    So I can’t build the Above pictured AR15
    In 556 or 300 BO with 7.5 barrel in Maryland ??
    I get the HGR is for FFL sales of Completed Firearms in MD.
    Building them I was told told what’s posted above ????
    So Confusing
    I’ve built 80% AR15 no FFL
    I’ve built FFL Lowers AR15 ?

Somebody is messing with you, making stuff up or does not know the law. There's no caliber restriction on an AR pistol. Yes, you can build a 7.5" 5.56. People buld them in 5.56 and 300 Blackout all the time. Poke through the AR pistol thread here for lots of examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom