Central MD stores that stock suppressors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 59f100292

May 20, 2012
    I’m considering buying a can, I’ll most likely start with Rimfire. Are there any stores near mount airy that actually carry them in stock? I’d like to take a look at a few in person before buying. I don’t know a ton about what’s available, and don’t know anyone that owns one, so I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks

Techguy

Jun 13, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Only place up that way I can think of is duffy's and and some suppressors are good for multiple calibers too. I just recently got a 22 sparrow which is good for not only 22lr but 17hmr 22mag and fn 57

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I’m considering buying a can, I’ll most likely start with Rimfire. Are there any stores near mount airy that actually carry them in stock? I’d like to take a look at a few in person before buying. I don’t know a ton about what’s available, and don’t know anyone that owns one, so I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks

We're in Woodbine and have several .22 cans in stock, stop by this evening if you are available and check them out.

Brian

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I suggest you try and borrow some time on someone else suppressor. It will teach you a lot! I also don't suggest buying one at a time. If you are going to deal with the hassle, get a few at once. Last time I bought 4 and it was so nice not having to 4 separate trips for pictures and finger prints...etc.

I think a 22LR is worth it. A 9MM pistol and SMG can are worth it. IMHO I have not seen a 45ACP can worth the money and hassle. I have a 223/30 cal can but again, to me its limited value. I could see maybe a 30 cal for 300 Black out being worth it but most automatic rifle rounds are not really worth suppressing if you ask me. Others will disagree. However a little trigger time will quickly show you what you like and don't like. For example, what are you plans for sights on the guns you suppress. Some people don't mind the can covering the sights... I hate it. So then for me sites are a bigger issue and so I went with a offset/Maxim style can to help. Easier to buy all at once....

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I suggest you try and borrow some time on someone else suppressor. It will teach you a lot! I also don't suggest buying one at a time. If you are going to deal with the hassle, get a few at once. Last time I bought 4 and it was so nice not having to 4 separate trips for pictures and finger prints...etc.

I think a 22LR is worth it. A 9MM pistol and SMG can are worth it. IMHO I have not seen a 45ACP can worth the money and hassle. I have a 223/30 cal can but again, to me its limited value. I could see maybe a 30 cal for 300 Black out being worth it but most automatic rifle rounds are not really worth suppressing if you ask me. Others will disagree. However a little trigger time will quickly show you what you like and don't like. For example, what are you plans for sights on the guns you suppress. Some people don't mind the can covering the sights... I hate it. So then for me sites are a bigger issue and so I went with a offset/Maxim style can to help. Easier to buy all at once....

most 9mm cans will also do 300 blk. Not all will do supersonic 300 blk though. what are some of your favs ?

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co

But a $200 stamp for each one, right? Isn't that close to $4-5000 outlay OTD?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    But a $200 stamp for each one, right? Isn't that close to $4-5000 outlay OTD?

yeah, most of us dont have $800 to outlay at once for 4 cans just for the stamps, let alone the cost of the suppressor (another maybe $400-600 per can).

There is literally ZERO hassle for a purchase from SilencerShop. I have given them my prints once for several cans and I upload a picture through the smartphone app once per year. Z E R O. Could not be easier, except for the 270 days wait. Now that my prints are in the kiosk, I dont even have to show up to buy, except at pickup time.

The 21st century is a blast!

OP: I would start with 9mm but a rimfire is also a good start. Once you get a rimfire you will quickly want a 9mm. Some 9mm will also suppress 300 blk, 7.62x39, and even 556.

mainly: decide on your budget, first.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Can’t believe that nobody has mentioned continental arms in Timonium for suppressors.

Super easy and they handle everything. No silencer shop from what I recall though.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    yeah, most of us dont have $800 to outlay at once for 4 cans just for the stamps, let alone the cost of the suppressor (another maybe $400-600 per can).

There is literally ZERO hassle for a purchase from SilencerShop. I have given them my prints once for several cans and I upload a picture through the smartphone app once per year. Z E R O. Could not be easier, except for the 270 days wait. Now that my prints are in the kiosk, I dont even have to show up to buy, except at pickup time.

The 21st century is a blast!

OP: I would start with 9mm but a rimfire is also a good start. Once you get a rimfire you will quickly want a 9mm. Some 9mm will also suppress 300 blk, 7.62x39, and even 556.

mainly: decide on your budget, first.

How does one get their prints into the system along with photos when in a shop with a kiosk?

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do ip’s charge to do this?

Silencer Shop allows dealers with kiosks to charge up to $40. I had mine done at Gym Ratz when I happened to be in the area and it was $25. The nearest Powered By Silencer Shop dealer to me, according to Silencer Shops dealer locator, is Gun Metal Inc in Millersville (there are none on the Eastern Shore) and they are now apparently charging $50 somehow.

Some, maybe most, don't charge a fee if you are going to have the suppressor transferred through them.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Some, maybe most, don't charge a fee if you are going to have the suppressor transferred through them.

That was my experience. I started the process online at SilencerShop.com, chose Engage as my local make-it-happen dealer. The SS folks' various emails walked me through document uploads etc., and told me to pop in and get prints done. I went to Engage, walked over to the kiosk, signed in with the credentials I'd created, and was done in five minutes. The scanner is a little fussy - it's easier if your fingers aren't too dry.

Then I waited for longer than the lifespan of the Roman Empire for the ATF to do their thing. Centuries passed, mountain ranges rose and fell, rivers changed course, whole new species of land animals evolved, and then I got a call from Engage when it was time to pick up the can. Done!

59f100292

May 20, 2012
    thanks for all the suggestions. Honestly I don't own a single threaded barrel, so what I use them on and what I buy is still somewhat up in the air. I'd like to have a rimfire can that will work with a handgun and a rifle. I'll maybe add a dedicated handgun can for 45 or 9mm, and a centerfire rifle can. Currently I mostly for shoot 6.5, 6mm and .224 bore, but odds are down the road I will end up owning a .280 bore or .30 bore so I'm just looking for something verastile for now. Don't know if i'll get my barrels threaded, or buy host guns.

I'm not going to drop thousands at once on 3 cans and new hosts, which is why Im thinking to just start with a rimfire can and a threaded barrel for the buckmark. open to any and all advice.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    thanks for all the suggestions. Honestly I don't own a single threaded barrel, so what I use them on and what I buy is still somewhat up in the air. I'd like to have a rimfire can that will work with a handgun and a rifle. I'll maybe add a dedicated handgun can for 45 or 9mm, and a centerfire rifle can. Currently I mostly for shoot 6.5, 6mm and .224 bore, but odds are down the road I will end up owning a .280 bore or .30 bore so I'm just looking for something verastile for now. Don't know if i'll get my barrels threaded, or buy host guns.

I'm not going to drop thousands at once on 3 cans and new hosts, which is why Im thinking to just start with a rimfire can and a threaded barrel for the buckmark. open to any and all advice.

Given this, I would suggest starting with a 30 cal rifle can (which can also handle anything less like 280, 6.5, 223, or rimfire), or if you can swing it the Omega 36M, which will also handle up to .357 (9mm) size bullets. Extremely versatile. https://silencerco.com/omega-36m. There are lots of 30 cal cans that honestly would be a good choice.

Keep in mind: you can use a larger bore suppressor (like 30 cal) on a smaller bore (.224) but not the reverse. You will not lose much if anything in noise reduction by putting a 30 cal can on your AR15, I do it all the time. A 30 cal rifle can will handle anything less than 30 cal.

Also, my 0.02, get a pre-threaded barrel by the factory. Alignment is very important, poorly aligned threads that are not perfectly concentric could destroy your investment. If you get your barrel threaded, you may or may not end up with concentric threads. Hopefully you do, but a good gunsmith you guarantees work might end up costing as much as a new barrel anyway.

ETA: the main tradeoff of putting a rifle caliber rated can on a pistol is weight/heaviness. A true rimfire or pistol can will be lighter, because less materials are needed due to lower pressure. But, I predict if you get a rimfire or pistol can you will love it after 10 shots and want a bigger one for a bigger rifle. You will end up waiting 270 days for the first and 270 days for the 2nd, so I tell people to get the most versatile one first, despite the tradeoff.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    That was my experience. I started the process online at SilencerShop.com, chose Engage as my local make-it-happen dealer. The SS folks' various emails walked me through document uploads etc., and told me to pop in and get prints done. I went to Engage, walked over to the kiosk, signed in with the credentials I'd created, and was done in five minutes. The scanner is a little fussy - it's easier if your fingers aren't too dry.

Then I waited for longer than the lifespan of the Roman Empire for the ATF to do their thing. Centuries passed, mountain ranges rose and fell, rivers changed course, whole new species of land animals evolved, and then I got a call from Engage when it was time to pick up the can. Done!

None of the dealers I went through for silencer shop charged a fee since I did the transfer trough them.

I have also done it the long way (fingerprint cards, photos, etc) for some items not available through SilencerShop. As far as cost, time, and aggravation (driving around for prints, dealer transfer fee, sign forms etc) I would say cost ends up the same (reality: transfer fee is baked into the SilencerShop price and they get a cut for administration), but aggravation is far lower as one avoids all the trips to different places.

How does one get their prints into the system along with photos when in a shop with a kiosk?

Kiosk for prints scanner on the spot. And they save them forever for the 2ndm 3rd, ... nth purchase.

smartphone app + selfie = upload photo.

All the document signing happens online as well, you can sign it in your pajamas at o dark thirty by opening your email.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    for what its worth to anyone buying, I wasn't charged a transfer fee when buying from continental arms. ( 22 rimfire can )

I am still waiting however. im about 7.5 months in and hoping paperwork is approved soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom