• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Let's suppose this passes. Let's suppose grandfathering is added. Let's suppose it applies to all Anderson Lowers (it appears their lowers are marked as AM-15).

Does that mean that the now banned and grandfathered lowers could be be built into whatever configuration one wanted to build them?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    When did we let our Country’s second language become attorney?

If it was legalese, at least someone would be able to understand what the wording truly meant. Instead, MD is stuck with laws written by people with a toxic combination of grammatical and cognitive disabilities.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Let's suppose this passes. Let's suppose grandfathering is added. Let's suppose it applies to all Anderson Lowers (it appears their lowers are marked as AM-15).

Does that mean that the now banned and grandfathered lowers could be be built into whatever configuration one wanted to build them?
    Yes. IIRC, law is clear that a copy can't also be a copycat regardless of configuration. If they're going to play the game that your Anderson SBR is a copy, you should theoretically be able to reconfigure it into copycat config (eg, OAL < 29").

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes. IIRC, law is clear that a copy can't also be a copycat regardless of configuration. If they're going to play the game that your Anderson SBR is a copy, you should theoretically be able to reconfigure it into copycat config (eg, OAL < 29").

Where do you get this? If so, the copycat provisions would not apply to ANY non-Colt AR-15. So sub 29" HBARs would be OK, as they are copies of the allowed Colt HBAR.

The law states that if it is not BANNED, then the copycat provisions apply.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    "(2) “COPYCAT WEAPON” DOES NOT INCLUDE AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR AN ASSAULT PISTOL."

Right there in the text. The problem with your logic is that copycat weapon CAN include something that's not an assault long gun, which includes a Colt HBAR.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You're definitely the manufacturer. The question is whether it's considered a copy of a prohibited rifle. That is a problem right this second if you have a post-ban non-HBAR AR-15 SBR in 5.56, so I am not quite sure why people are suddenly freaking out about the Andersons in this context. Historically, the legislature never intended for SBRs to be included in the banned rifles list, hence why the SBR variants of certain rifles were omitted (example: Galil SAR).

Personal thoughts:
    1. I doubt the bill is going anywhere. Frosh does not have a bunch of political leverage in his current position.
    2. If it does pass, it will be amended to have grandfathering.
    3. If it does pass, I still don't think SBRs or AR pistols are covered by the ban.

Just to reinforce this; see this post about how MSP interprets the law WRT building an AR lower into an SBR. My read is the Anderson lower will not be a problem for an SBR build if SB39 passes.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5761778&postcount=66

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    You're definitely the manufacturer. The question is whether it's considered a copy of a prohibited rifle. That is a problem right this second if you have a post-ban non-HBAR AR-15 SBR in 5.56, so I am not quite sure why people are suddenly freaking out about the Andersons in this context. Historically, the legislature never intended for SBRs to be included in the banned rifles list, hence why the SBR variants of certain rifles were omitted (example: Galil SAR).

Personal thoughts:
    1. I doubt the bill is going anywhere. Frosh does not have a bunch of political leverage in his current position.
    2. If it does pass, it will be amended to have grandfathering.
    3. If it does pass, I still don't think SBRs or AR pistols are covered by the ban.

Well if AK SBRs are legal, which I think they are, why would a non HBAR AR15 SBR be a problem?

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom