• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I was told a copy of my tax stamp needs to come with me every time I take my suppressor to the range but it can be a photocopy. Is it required that I keep the original at home or can I put it in a safety deposit box?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I used to keep hard copies of mine every range bag. Now I just carry a scanned copy in my phone. I have the hard copies in my safe as well as copies elsewhere. I have never been asked to show a stamp in the almost 10 years I have had them. The only one you LEGALLY have to show it to is an ATF agent. That said, I hear of a range here and there might ask. Also, if LE were to ask to see it, I would produce the electronic copy.
    If transporting MG's, I would definitely keep hard copies with me. You can keep copies at home and put the original in a safe def box if you want to. Just have something to show when you are asked.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I believe all mine were emailed so an original is not available. I have heard many say ones taxes are their own damn business so ATF and maybe IRS are the only ones who can request them? I keep a bunch of doc with me as well as 20-20’s when traveling. Easier to show and be let go then be held (guilty) until an ATF agent can verify you are legit (innocent).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've literally never had anyone ask for them. I do like the idea of storing electronic copies on my phone, and may do that in the future.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you go to a range they may ask. I keep copies on my phone (take a photo of the document). You really should put the original in a safe location (safe deposit box seems like a good idea).

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I was told a copy of my tax stamp needs to come with me every time I take my suppressor to the range but it can be a photocopy. Is it required that I keep the original at home or can I put it in a safety deposit box?

Ask whoever told you this to show you where this is in writing? That will answer your question.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-possessor-nfa-firearm-have-show-proof-registration

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?
    Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.

[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101]

Please note the most important word in this entire statement, "suggested". If the ATF suggests something then by definition it is NOT required. Otherwise they would have said it was required or you shall carry a copy of it with you.

This along with the BS that they ATF can come in your house anytime they want to inspect your MGs... total BS.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Note 2 and B. If you don’t show it at request, you’ll be showing at at court. Won’t be any ATF or IRS involved.

There may be no federal requirements to show the tax stamp but as far as Maryland law, those forms are proof you are in compliance and in this state the burden of proof is on us.

2016 Maryland Code
    Public Safety
    Title 5 - Firearms
    Subtitle 2 - Rifles and Shotguns
    § 5-203. Possession of short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun
    Universal Citation: MD Pub Safety Code § 5-203 (2016)
    (a) Prohibited. -- A person may not possess a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun unless:

(1) the person, while on official business is:

(i) a member of the law enforcement personnel of the federal government, the State, or a political subdivision of the State;

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while on duty or traveling to or from duty;

(iii) a member of the law enforcement personnel of another state or a political subdivision of another state, while temporarily in this State;

(iv) a warden or correctional officer of a correctional facility in the State; or

(v) a sheriff or a temporary or full-time deputy sheriff; or

(2) the short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle has been registered with the federal government in accordance with federal law.

(b) Burden of proof. -- In a prosecution under this section, the defendant has the burden of proving the lawful registration of the short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.

(c) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The old guilty until proven innocent routine they taught in civics right?

Perhaps like showing ones registration and insurance.

But with a tax stamp, is there really a way to check it? At least a tag can be run for registration status. A tax stamp? Here is a paper or picture of paper... It has stuff on it.. trust with no verify?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The paper with the tax stamp has the serial number and all your info, and I have exactly zero doubt they have the ATF on speed dial to check. Faking a tax stamp would yield you an extra special level of butt hurt at the federal prison. By the time the police are checking your paperwork, you have done about 7 things wrong worse than going over the speed limit.

A range may ask to see your paperwork (their range, their rules), and I have been asked.

Look at it like a trophy or a membership certificate in an exclusive club which you waited 9mos to a year to get into.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Never been asked but I do keep a copy of the tax stamp and signed approval document on my phone. I hope they don't expect you to ride around with the original document - I imagine many people might misplace theirs that way.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Keep mine in my dropbox account, but after reading this I will keep photos of them on my phone in case I don't have service.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    The paper with the tax stamp has the serial number and all your info, and I have exactly zero doubt they have the ATF on speed dial to check. Faking a tax stamp would yield you an extra special level of butt hurt at the federal prison. By the time the police are checking your paperwork, you have done about 7 things wrong worse than going over the speed limit.

A range may ask to see your paperwork (their range, their rules), and I have been asked.

Look at it like a trophy or a membership certificate in an exclusive club which you waited 9mos to a year to get into.

3 months :op

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

The requestor verified with the ATF with a phone calll?

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    I keep a photocopy with me just in case someone decides to be an a$$hat. Nothing in the law states a time factor. In a perfect world, you should be given "reasonable time" to present said paperwork if asked by an authorized person. Alas, we do not live in a perfect world.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I don't have any NFA items, but if I did - I'd keep hard copies with me as there is no way I'm surrounding my phone to anybody...

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    You don't have to surrender the device. Bring up the doc and hold it for them.

Last time I tried that with a rental car contract, the trooper got really pissy....

Had a daughter do the same with proof of insurance during a stop for an extinguished tag light - same thing. County deputy wanted to hold the phone in his hand.

I now keep multiple paper copies of any document I may have to produce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Would taking a picture of both sides of form be sufficient? (BTW: Mine took just short of 11 months). If not, I'll just scan it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Would taking a picture of both sides of form be sufficient? (BTW: Mine took just short of 11 months). If not, I'll just scan it.
    There's nothing requiring you to do that at all. Your tax stamp document is between you and the ATF. I keep copies on my phone in case I need them, but that is me being unnecessarily prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom