• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Saw these and couldn’t make a decision so I bought them both. One is arriving on Monday, the other on Tuesday.

41213fc9542400f7bab4a8d7befe9f75.jpg

5887bec8acd1151e2e60e493bc254753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seiko 5 with Arabic day wheel look great. Not a busy dial for my old eyes.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Anyone have input on the Hamilton Watches, made for military ? Thinking of looking more at the WWII or Vietnam vintage watches. I like the story, the look and the Made in USA.

I like things with a story and this fits the bill.

I do not own a single watch.

This one I would wear.

Going price? One for sale? DIY fix if the glass is bad? Repair not too costly? What to look for?

Look for mid century Hammies with US made in house 982 movements. These Hamilton models are highly collectible. Made between 1940 - 54.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    The Hamilton Paige 982 19 jewels. Any good? Filled with gold ? Talk to me.

I have seen one in person. Very good looking watch if in good condition. Very tiny, I think no bigger than a quarter. This is one of those mid century Hammies that is getting hard to find. There is a sight of vintage Hamilton watches for reference. https://vintage-hamilton-wristwatches.com[/URL]

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The Hamilton Paige 982 19 jewels. Any good? Filled with gold ? Talk to me.

Yes, that was Hamilton in their heyday. Hamilton still makes a nice watch but they're now part of the Swatch Group conglomerate. So I'm not sure how unique their assembly is any longer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swatch_Group

Also note that "Swiss Made" only refers to a certain amount of work and parts being Swiss. A lot of lower/mid-range Swiss brands have plenty of Asian parts and labor, especially bands.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-a-swiss-made-watch-2017-1

For under 150 I would look at Orient, who still does everything in house in Japan (very rare for a non-highline maker to do everything in house, even Seiko doesn't make much in Japan anymore beyond the Grand Seikos and a few other lines). Also Android, and for around 100 bucks you cannot beat a basic Invicta automatic. People talk shit about Invictas who haven't owned one. I've owned many in my watch collecting days and their automatics are some of the best quality sub-1000 dollar watches you can find. The NH35/36 movements are very accurate, bands are solid not stamped, most have screw down crowns, lume is good, well made.

With modern manufacturing the days of needing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for an accurate watch that will last many years are over. At this point many of the lower/mid range "Swiss" watches are just jewelry. Just paying for a name. If you want a true piece of mechanical craftsmanship you're talking Rolex prices and higher. Just my opinions.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Yes, that was Hamilton in their heyday. Hamilton still makes a nice watch but they're now part of the Swatch Group conglomerate. So I'm not sure how unique their assembly is any longer.

[.

Thanks. This is more what I'm looking for. US made. Some age to it. Seems like a small case.. unisex but more lady size? I do not like the diner plate size!

Who services a watch like that and cost for a good once over?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I have seen one in person. Very good looking watch if in good condition. Very tiny, I think no bigger than a quarter. This is one of those mid century Hammies that is getting hard to find. There is a sight of vintage Hamilton watches for reference. https://vintage-hamilton-wristwatches.com[/URL]

Yes. In their heyday Hamilton made some of the best wristwatch movements around. The 982 is an outstanding movement.

Does seem small. I, ah, may have gotten one in a dozing off state of ebay browsing ...$75 shipped. Working. Ran the serial number and says 1940 production. I'll share pictures when in hand.

May try to find the proper band, NOS still around?

And gold isn't really my thing..but I'll give it a whirl. Can match my only piece of jewelry, a wedding band. And my 1940 Ford Tractor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200328-075649.jpg
      Screenshot_20200328-075649.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 405
    • Screenshot_20200328-075656.jpg
      Screenshot_20200328-075656.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 398
    • Screenshot_20200328-075705.jpg
      Screenshot_20200328-075705.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 425

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swatch_Group

Also note that "Swiss Made" only refers to a certain amount of work and parts being Swiss. A lot of lower/mid-range Swiss brands have plenty of Asian parts and labor, especially bands.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-a-swiss-made-watch-2017-1

For under 150 I would look at Orient, who still does everything in house in Japan (very rare for a non-highline maker to do everything in house, even Seiko doesn't make much in Japan anymore beyond the Grand Seikos and a few other lines). Also Android, and for around 100 bucks you cannot beat a basic Invicta automatic. People talk shit about Invictas who haven't owned one. I've owned many in my watch collecting days and their automatics are some of the best quality sub-1000 dollar watches you can find. The NH35/36 movements are very accurate, bands are solid not stamped, most have screw down crowns, lume is good, well made.

With modern manufacturing the days of needing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for an accurate watch that will last many years are over. At this point many of the lower/mid range "Swiss" watches are just jewelry. Just paying for a name. If you want a true piece of mechanical craftsmanship you're talking Rolex prices and higher. Just my opinions.

I agree with the above except you are not spending more money for accuracy. On average, a $150 quartz watch will be more accurate than any high end automatic/mechanical watch such as a Patek.
    You are paying for fit/finish/brand name/features, much like anything else.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I agree with the above except you are not spending more money for accuracy. On average, a $150 quartz watch will be more accurate than any high end automatic/mechanical watch such as a Patek.
    You are paying for fit/finish/brand name/features, much like anything else.

Same as cars. You pay for craftsmanship. A Hyundai will be a much more reliable daily driver than a Lamborghini.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Does seem small. I, ah, may have gotten one in a dozing off state of ebay browsing ...$75 shipped. Working. Ran the serial number and says 1940 production. I'll share pictures when in hand.

May try to find the proper band, NOS still around?

And gold isn't really my thing..but I'll give it a whirl. Can match my only piece of jewelry, a wedding band. And my 1940 Ford Tractor.

You like working on watches? It will probably cost you quite a lot to get this restored to it former glory. They will probably look horrible,, if you just buy this and buy the missing parts and put them together, then you will realize that the wear, scuffs and shades does not match, so you will need a full restoration that also cost pretty penny. Not like collecting tool watches that watch patina, scuff and mark add to the watches character that translate to value. If you look around you should be able to find one of this in very good
    condition for around $300. IMHO

MykR0k

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 13, 2020
    I picked this up a few months ago for half price and it's a nice watch. It's big and easy to read but it has some quirks. Oris is a good upper end brand but at a much lower price point.

qP3jmU4.jpg

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    You like working on watches? It will probably cost you quite a lot to get this restored to it former glory. They will probably look horrible,, if you just buy this and buy the missing parts and put them together, then you will realize that the wear, scuffs and shades does not match, so you will need a full restoration that also cost pretty penny. Not like collecting tool watches that watch patina, scuff and mark add to the watches character that translate to value. If you look around you should be able to find one of this in very good
    condition for around $300. IMHO

God no. I'm not getting I to the hobby. I just want to see an idea of price to get it working well. What's a going rate to not necessarily restore it to new.. but just keep it healthy.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    God no. I'm not getting I to the hobby. I just want to see an idea of price to get it working well. What's a going rate to not necessarily restore it to new.. but just keep it healthy.

I have seen a few of this in eBay . Complete watch with normal wear and working for $175. These is a gold filled watch usually over brass. The wear will show. No idea how much to restore this watch, but gold and labor is not cheap.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I have seen a few of this in eBay . Complete watch with normal wear and working for $175. These is a gold filled watch usually over brass. The wear will show. No idea how much to restore this watch, but gold and labor is not cheap.

Again, no restore. Just get it running right.. healthy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Got the wife a Ball BMW M-sport watch.

Attachments

• 653C9C19-D7C6-46A5-86C1-6A7FE4918B90.jpg
      653C9C19-D7C6-46A5-86C1-6A7FE4918B90.jpg
      73.9 KB · Views: 324
    • 17A94F88-F256-4483-ACB2-C058CD7B4C35.jpg