How to ship small firearm collection to MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    I am in the beginning stages of planning a move from the Northeast to Baltimore County, MD (possibly in June). I have a relatively small collection of handguns and rifles--totaling under 12 combined.

When I move I would prefer to not drive with the guns even though I know I would technically be covered under FOPA.

Does anyone know of any local FFL's who I could have my local FFL ship the firearms to? By local I pretty much mean any FFL within 1 hours drive of Baltimore County.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I would check the Industry Partners page, should have no issues finding a shop who handle the the transfer. there are several shops well within the hour drive of baltimore county, I have never done a transfer with any shop but one shop I have used who is an IP is baltimore's best pawn, just over the line in carroll county and depending where in baltimore county you move to, should be under an hour drive

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    In a case like this, would the FFL have to log in the guns in their book then have to complete a transfer?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would drive them, I did this many times in the past.

Otherwise, you're looking at a fair amount of hassle and cost if you deal with an FFL on both ends. I can see you spending $1200+ pretty quick to ship them if you have to pay fees on both ends and the shipping cost. Plus, if you don't have your HQL in md I don't think the dealer can give transfer your own handguns to you.

ny has rules that everything has to be done like you're looking at doing. It was almost cheaper for me to buy things there, which is what I did to avoid wasting $$ on fees and shipping.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Otherwise, you're looking at a fair amount of hassle and cost if you deal with an FFL on both ends. I can see you spending $1200+ pretty quick to ship them if you have to pay fees on both ends and the shipping cost. Plus, if you don't have your HQL in md I don't think the dealer can give transfer your own handguns to you.

ny has rules that everything has to be done like you're looking at doing. It was almost cheaper for me to buy things there, which is what I did to avoid wasting $$ on fees and shipping.

How in the world would it cost him $1200+?

First off he doesn't need to ship them to an FFL. He can ship them to his new address directly. As long as he ships the firearms to himself, he's legal. He doesn't need to get an FFL involved at all.

But lets say he does. The long gun would cost less than $30 each and the handgun should be about $50 each. Then the transfer for each at say $250 for the 10 firearms.

These costs are shipping 1 firearm per package. I'm sure there's considerable saving if he ships more than 1 firearm per package.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Taken from the BATF FAQ page.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

I hope this clears things up.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    How in the world would it cost him $1200+?

First off he doesn't need to ship them to an FFL. He can ship them to his new address directly. As long as he ships the firearms to himself, he's legal. He doesn't need to get an FFL involved at all.

But lets say he does. The long gun would cost less than $30 each and the handgun should be about $50 each. Then the transfer for each at say $250 for the 10 firearms.

These costs are shipping 1 firearm per package. I'm sure there's considerable saving if he ships more than 1 firearm per package.

HE asked about FFL to FFL shipping. NOT about shipping to himself.

If the FFL there wants $25 each and $25 each to ship them that is $50 per for $600 since he has 12. Most FFL's I know around here want $50 each to receive them, that is another $600 (50x12=600).

What he asked about vs what he does are 2 different things. Could drive them here himself for $0.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Both Fed Ex and UPS tariff regs require either the shipper or receiver to be an FFL

Either the shipper or receiver must be a licensed FFL, which includes FFL 03.

You could ship the long guns USPS. If you are not an FFL, then the handguns must be shipped to an FFL.

BATFE rules allow shipping to yourself.. Fed Ex and UPS regs do not unless you are an FFL.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the help guys!

So to be sure my options are:

Scenario A
    (1) Send all the firearms to myself via USPS
    See quote below from the link j_h_smith posted (thank you)

Scenario B
    (1) Send the long guns to myself via USPS
    (2) Send the handguns to an FFL in Maryland using whatever carrier they prefer
    This option would save money if I am charged per gun--however if the FFL does not need to log them, would they really charge me a fee per gun instead of a flat rate to receive them all?

Scenario C
    (1) Drive them all legally
    FOPA

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
    Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where
    he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to
    the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than
    the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
    PDF WARNING: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

I would definitely prefer to ship them to myself if it is legal but I do have handguns and long guns.

Also, I didn't think the FFL's would have to log them since the ownership is not being transferred but I am not sure. Ideally, I would pay the FFL on my end to send them out (I can package them--but whatever they prefer) and pay the FFL in Maryland to receive them (I figure they wouldn't receive the shipment for free).

Once I receive the firearms from the FFL in Maryland then I would register them with the state within the 60 day period.

EDIT: Also, I used to be resident of Maryland so I'm really just moving back. My parents still live there so I do have a place I can send them to.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC BATFE says the guns must be logged in if they stay at the FFL 24 hours. If you arrive the day of delivery you might not have to have them put in the FFL BB.

check with the FFL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• usps-1.jpg
      usps-1.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 341

This is the big issue the OP needs to understand. If the OP ships his handguns to an FFL in Maryland, he will need to get a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). This will require getting fingerprinted, spending ~$100 (if training exempt) or ~$200 (if training is required) and a month's time before he can take possession of his own pistols.
    I highly recommend he drives them down himself- straight through with no overnight stops. Providence to Baltimore is a 5.5hr drive, so I can't see anywhere in RI taking longer than 7hrs.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If, and a big IF, a dealer who doesn't log them in but is willing to accept them via carrier, an HQL would not be required, as no transfer occurred. I have no idea if an FFL would do this or not. The other problem is the word "recieve" in the HQL statute. That might prevent you from getting them from an FFL, no matter if in the BB or not.

As I stated BATFE has guidelines for when a firearm must be logged in to the A&D BB.

From the fFL guide. Less than 24 hours might not require an entry if the receiver is on site when the shipment shows up. guess it depends on the FFL.

Attachments

• aandd.JPG
      aandd.JPG
      64.8 KB · Views: 333

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is an AG opinion on the HQL. Not exactly the same situation but if it's not a transfer, then maybe you're not receiving it either.

I'd drive if it were me.

Attachments

• AG Letter to Del Afzal no hql.pdf
      84.7 KB · Views: 90

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I agree that it would be a big IF for an FFL to accept shipment from the carrier and the shipping FFL and not log them. Big can of worms and expense. The FFL would be putting themselves on the line for no reason, which I do not think will happen (I wouldn't do it if I was them).

Like I said earlier, I looked at having to do something like this for ny years ago and opted to just buy things there instead since I was at least getting something for my $$ rather than just paying a lot for shipping and transfer fees on my own property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom